Eek!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I seriously don't know how people in grizzly country can get to sleep in a tent at night...

Saddle-Hills-Bear_4.jpg

Apparently this 1300 pound bear was coming at a couple Alberta elk hunters like they were gonna be lunch.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
have a look at this http://youtu.be/AMK2-Uha3ls cant post the full vid on here to graffic but have a poke about you tube for the full story on this bear

Jason

Ps and you right camping in grizzly country would have you wakening at every twig snap

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
As long as you're bear aware you are pretty safe from Grizzly bears and Black Bears. People tend to get into conflict when they don't follow the rules.

Keep your camp 100% food free.
Let the bears know your coming.
Don't upset the bears.

I have lead several trips in Grizzly country no fire arms just bear spray and common sense.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Don't upset the bears.

Keep your camp 100% food free. ( Ok good advice )
Let the bears know your coming. ( and again good advice )
Don't upset the bears. ( ok but can you tell me what upsets a bear)

Jason

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As long as you're bear aware you are pretty safe from Grizzly bears and Black Bears. People tend to get into conflict when they don't follow the rules.

Don't upset the bears.

I have lead several trips in Grizzly country no fire arms just bear spray and common sense.

And lots of luck. LOL

And also add, Don't go within range of hungry bears; they DO sometimes deliberately hunt and eat people (oddly though, that's more often the less fierce black bear) They've also learned that when they hear a shot it means food (in the form of the deer, elk, or buffalo you just shot, quartered and are loading onto the pack horse or pack frames) They also get grumpy when sharing fishing spots during the salmon run.

And BTW going unarmed into bear country is illegal in Alaska and I believe parts of Canada (I KNOW that when members of my aeroclub overflew Canada enroute to Alaska they were required by Canadian law to have a firearm on board in a bear capable caliber) At any rate "going into grizzly country unarmed" and "common sense" are mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Preferably a 44 mag or bigger if I were limited to a handgun.

Got that right. Don't think I'd have the stones to squirt bearspray at a 1300 pound griz unless I could back it up with at least a Dirty Harry.

Just last week I was no more than 40 yards from a black bear while out doing a dogging run on the deer hunt. You never can tell how they'll act;
it ran like a scared rabbit from another guy earlier that day, but then gave me some attitude and didn't want to back off.
Maybe I upset him.;)

Last edited:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Easier said than done.. Me and some mates went on a canoing trip in Algonquin park a couple of years ago.Inside the park, you can only camp on the designated sites and have a cooking fire in the metal firepit provided... in the middle of the campsite :eek:

just bear spray and common sense.
We tried to buy Bear spray in the park - in 2 places (Canadian Tyre, and an outdoorsy shop I can't remember the name of). We were told they couldn't sell it to us unless it was put on our "ammunition Permit" :rolleyes:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Shame - I think the bear had more right to be there than the hunters....

Why? The most rights always go to the apex predator; that day it was the hunters. Another day it might not be. ORRRRR! As the old saying goes, "Sometimes you eat bear, sometimes the bear eats you."

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The bear wasn't there just to have a bit of a jolly. A couple of guys went into a wood to go hunting - maybe for food, but most likely for sport. As a consequence of this a bear died. Personally I think that's a huge shame. Certainly not something to be celebrated. I'm not anti hunting, but I think think this is a tragic shame. Leave only footprints, not dead grizzlies.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE