Eek!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I have no issue with hunting for food.

So if they ate the bear it's all good :)

For me i care more that the hunters were able to go home to their families that night, than if a bear was killed or not.
The ideal for me would have been if they got away without hurting the bear.

As i was not there and have no details on if they were stalked by the bear or just bumped into it, i have no option but to give them the benefit of doubt.

I will say that i strongly believe that it's impossible for people born and raised in countries without a wild deadly animal population to really have enough experience and knowledge on the subject for their opinion to be valid (IMO).

For someone born and raised in the UK it's impossible to imagine the feelings and emotions that run through you when you see a bear in the wild within a few meters and there is no zoo fence or enclosure between you and it.
Likewise in the rural and wild areas like where this occurred the teachings from a early age and mindset is completely different.

For me personally i strongly believe that unless you've had a face to face with a bear in the wild, you really do not have enough knowledge, experience or wisdom in the subject to judge anyone.

Lastly,
These are bad bottom bears we are talking about, not some Disney fairy tale bear.
These will regularly kill dismember and even eat in some circumstances the young of any bear mothers they come across purely to trigger her to mate again.
They have also been known to stalk and play with their food as some type of animal entertainment.

These are wild animals, in my view you take absolutely no chances, i'd keep putting bullets in till i ran out of ammunition, i'd then throw what ever i have around me at it, poke it with a stick, then batter it with the butt of my gun, if i meant i got to go home that night.

Ohhhhh and eat it of course ;)

Cheers
Mark

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So if they ate the bear it's all good :)

For me i care more that the hunters were able to go home to their families that night, than if a bear was killed or not.
The ideal for me would have been if they got away without hurting the bear.

As i was not there and have no details on if they were stalked by the bear or just bumped into it, i have no option but to give them the benefit of doubt.

I will say that i strongly believe that it's impossible for people born and raised in countries without a wild deadly animal population to really have enough experience and knowledge on the subject for their opinion to be valid (IMO).

For someone born and raised in the UK it's impossible to imagine the feelings and emotions that run through you when you see a bear in the wild within a few meters and there is no zoo fence or enclosure between you and it.
Likewise in the rural and wild areas like where this occurred the teachings from a early age and mindset is completely different.

For me personally i strongly believe that unless you've had a face to face with a bear in the wild, you really do not have enough knowledge, experience or wisdom in the subject to judge anyone.

Lastly,
These are bad bottom bears we are talking about, not some Disney fairy tale bear.
These will regularly kill dismember and even eat in some circumstances the young of any bear mothers they come across purely to trigger her to mate again.
They have also been known to stalk and play with their food as some type of animal entertainment.

These are wild animals, in my view you take absolutely no chances, i'd keep putting bullets in till i ran out of ammunition, i'd then throw what ever i have around me at it, poke it with a stick, then batter it with the butt of my gun, if i meant i got to go home that night.

Ohhhhh and eat it of course ;)

Cheers
Mark

once again my point is missed.

Are hunting trips for elk worth the occasional dead bear? Clearly many have no problem with it. I do, I think its a shame that to indulge our hobbies we put other creatures at risk.

I bet the motivation for the guys hunting wasnt hunger, it was sport and the fact that the hunters put themselves into a situation where they had to shoot a bear doesnt sit right with me.

No I dont wish the bear had won and frankly I'm getting tired of people asserting that, when I think I have made my point clearly enough.

Dreaming up an imaginery scenario (forgive any errors regarding habitat and species) Lets relocate and replace bear with say Rhino, and assume youre hunting gazelle for pleasure (and food) when you are confronted by a Rhino and are forced to shoot it.

You're protecting yourself, but you knew there were Rhino in the area and you carry weapon big enough to kill it 'just in case'. The Rhino was.never your quarry but it died because despite having the skills.and knowledge to obtain food elsewhere you are excercising your god given right as an apex predator to hunt. Well done, you are indeed an apex predator.

And that is my last word on the matter as clearly this is.a difference of opinion and culture that decades of lively debate will not resolve.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!

Are hunting trips for elk worth the occasional dead bear? Clearly many have no problem with it. I do, I think its a shame that to indulge our hobbies we put other creatures at risk.
The fact that they were hunters is irrelevant.. The bear attacked the humans..

I'm sure the bear wouldn't have behaved differently if it had been a couple of birdwatchers it came across.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The fact that they were hunters is irrelevant.. The bear attacked the humans..

I'm sure the bear wouldn't have behaved differently if it had been a couple of birdwatchers it came across.

please read the entire post, this applies to more than just hunters,where a bear encounter is highly likely.

I think its a shame that to indulge our hobbies we put other creatures at risk.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

I bet the motivation for the guys hunting wasnt hunger, it was sport and the fact that the hunters put themselves into a situation where they had to shoot a bear doesnt sit right with me.

No I dont wish the bear had won and frankly I'm getting tired of people asserting that, when I think I have made my point clearly enough.

Dreaming up an imaginery scenario (forgive any errors regarding habitat and species) Lets relocate and replace bear with say Rhino, and assume youre hunting gazelle for pleasure (and food) when you are confronted by a Rhino and are forced to shoot it.

You're protecting yourself, but you knew there were Rhino in the area and you carry weapon big enough to kill it 'just in case'. The Rhino was.never your quarry but it died because despite having the skills.and knowledge to obtain food elsewhere you are excercising your god given right as an apex predator to hunt. Well done, you are indeed an apex predator.

And that is my last word on the matter as clearly this is.a difference of opinion and culture that decades of lively debate will not resolve.

To suggest that Elk hunting is not a respectable past time because it encroaches on the area bears frequent is very very naive.
By the same logic it means we as humans should not stray into any zone where animals that are likely to threaten our lives.

In some areas simply by walking out your front door your straying into "bear country", taking the kids to school, mowing the lawn, visiting neighbours are all things that risk a bear v human interface.
Therefore (as most adults carry a firearm) bears are at risk simply by the fact that humans are living there.

Sure it's a shame the bear had to die.
End of the day though it's a animal, personally i put the life of any human over the life of any animal.
Hell i even put the freedom of humans over the life of any animal.

That's not to say they shouldn't be protected and respected.
There is a balance here between being reasonably cautious and reasonably respectful.

Again it's very very easy to judge other peoples actions from the safety of our nice warm secure homes.
For those of us from the UK though unless we've experienced something like this it really is impossible for us to imagine the thought process behind these things.
Lets say as an example that any activity we do that takes us into the countryside has a 30% chance of bumping into a bear.
Would you cease all outdoor activities simply because you MIGHT have to shot a bear to defend yourself?
If you did go walking with your kids would you not take as many legal means of protecting yourselves as possible?

As i say we really cannot judge as most of us simply have no idea what it's like.

For me, we came across a brown bear while hiking in northern Greece, i've been in many many life threatening situations both in my professional and personal life, this was something completely different though as we know being unarmed if this bear wanted to kill us, no amount of talking, reasoning or self defence on our parts would do anything to stop it.
Part of you wants to throw rocks at it to scare it away, another part doesn't want to do ANYTHING that might **** it off.

Was there a risk it would attack?
No where near as much as a Grisly but yeah a small risk.

Would i have killed it to protect myself?
As i said before i'd have hit it with a newspaper till it died of old age if it meant protecting myself.

Would it had been a shame i would have killed a bear?
Hell yes.

Would i go walking in northern Greece again?
Without a shadow of a doubt.

Cheers
Mark

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Even if you take the view that the hunters had a right to be there, and only killed the bear in self defence, it doesn't seem right to glory in that bear's death to me.
I can accept that lots of people want to be in a wilderness area, for lots of different reasons, but I don't think I could be a hunter and just kill for the sake of it. I don't see much sport there.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
So a hundred and eight posts ago I showed a picture of a giant claw because I thought it was cool. Way too much thinkin going on here.
I think Mark's got it figured out. As far as encroaching on animals' turf, that would be a tough line to draw; all 30 million of us would be
living on Toronto Island.A couple years ago I stepped out the door and nearly bumped into a bear standing on the porch. Should I shoot
him or dismantle the house and move it off his territory? And don't assume hunting is always pure sport. Lots and lots of folks do it to
fill the freezer.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I bet the motivation for the guys hunting wasnt hunger, it was sport and the fact that the hunters put themselves into a situation where they had to shoot a bear doesnt sit right with me...

Instead of a bear (or an African rhino) as our examples, lets use something that might more reasonably be expected in the UK (not necessarily common, but possible) Just because you might encounter an aggressive or vicious dog on the way should you give up going bushcrafting? Or to the shop? Or to the local soccer games? I t wouls certainly be a shame to have to kill someone's dog that attacked you just because he thought he was defending HIS territory.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Even if you take the view that the hunters had a right to be there, and only killed the bear in self defence, it doesn't seem right to glory in that bear's death to me.
I can accept that lots of people want to be in a wilderness area, for lots of different reasons, but I don't think I could be a hunter and just kill for the sake of it. I don't see much sport there.

I agree, it's not exactly my cuppa tea parading dead animals either.

But then again these stupid magazines that contain paparazzi pics of famous people shopping seem a bit daft to me as well, still doesn't stop thousands and thousands of people buying them.

Likewise if you mention Apple or PC's to my mates you have to listen to an extremely passionate speech of how fantastic Apple is (the company not the fruit) and how life isn't worth living since Steve Jobs died.
To me anyone that can speak passionately about a computer, phone or pad thing is a bit daft.

I'm no different, i've spent thousands of quid on little radio controlled cars, planes and helicopters over the years, my Mrs thinks i'm nothing but a big kid and a stupid one at that.

The point i'm trying to make is, as humans we are daft.
We do daft things that others cannot fathom, sure it take things to a whole new level of daftness if killing animals is involved, but there are laws about these things.
If you shoot a Grisly then there will be an investigation and consequences if the authorities feel it was a unnecessary killing.

Sure it's bad taste taking pics, but then as a species i think bad taste became fashionable a fair few years ago, there doesn't seem to be a week goes by where someone is killing another.

So bad taste = yea
In comparison to what's going on around the world though it pales to insignificance IMO.

Plus the media no doubt paid him something for his story and pics.
As we the public buy and watch this media we're as responsible as he his (not for killing it, but for taking the pics).
If we the public and society in general stopped being interested in this sort of thing then the media would not report on it.

Cheers
Mark

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I agree, it's not exactly my cuppa tea parading dead animals either...I'm no different, i've spent thousands of quid on little radio controlled cars, planes and helicopters over the years, my Mrs thinks i'm nothing but a big kid and a stupid one at that.
The point i'm trying to make is, as humans we are daft.

We do daft things that others cannot fathom, sure it take things to a whole new level of daftness if killing animals is involved, but there are laws about these things.
If you shoot a Grisly then there will be an investigation and consequences if the authorities feel it was a unnecessary killing.

Sure it's bad taste taking pics, but then as a species i think bad taste became fashionable a fair few years ago, there doesn't seem to be a week goes by where someone is killing another...

As we the public buy and watch this media we're as responsible as he his (not for killing it, but for taking the pics).
If we the public and society in general stopped being interested in this sort of thing then the media would not report on it.
Cheers
Mark

On your first 1st point, yes we're all daft about something. Some of us are extremely into hunting, fishing, or similar outdoor sports.

On your second point. Yes there are laws regulating wildlife BUT!!! As I said earlier, there are still some jurisdictions where there is a sufficient grizzly population to support actively hunting THEM deliberately. I don't know if this is the case in our example but I suspect it is possible; and I hope the hunters get to keep the meat and trophie.

Why is it in bad taste to take the pics? I usually photograph the more memorable hunts (and I have several pics of my (then 9 year old) Godson holding his stringer full of catfish from the military fishing rodeo. I (and most real hunters) also have the better trophies stuffer and mounted for the wall. And I've never been approached by the media. I suspect that the hunters killing the bear wanted photos for their own keepsakes.

BTW rarely do the media over here pay for such photos; in areas with a hunting/fishing culture the successful hunter/fisherman submits them free to the local paper so that all his neighbors will also know of his success. The LOCAL paper prints it (usually either on the sports page or in "local news") because they ARE local and the local readers are also hunters/fisherman. They're not going to stop printing it and frankly I'm glad; to me if they stopped printing these stories it would be the same thing as a paper in an urban area not printing the football results. In short we like to brag. So what?

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I have absolutely no idea on Grisly populations and how best to control them.

If culling is indeed required then my objections to Joe public doing it are the fact that, this is a BIG animal and the right equipment in the right hands is needed.
If Jnr went out to hunt a Grisly with a .22, then it'd mean unnecessary suffering for the animal, and it would put anyone in the area in extreme danger

So IMO Grisly hunting IF needed would need to be very very tightly controlled.

As i said we're all different.
To me it's bad taste to take a pic of a animal you've just killed like it was some sort of fair battles of which you were victorious.

I'm not against hunting as i used to do a LOT of hunting.
If i'm being honest then it was more for my entertainment than a need, and although most were eaten by my friends, family or myself a good number were not really palatable (rats as an example).

For me the killing of the animal was secondary, many times i wouldn't even take a shot if my freezer was full.
What i enjoyed was everything before pulling the trigger, recon and finding the warren with it's entrances, then getting to within 30m of a rabbit needs patience and skill.

In all that time though i can honestly say hand on heart i've not once taken a picture of anything i've shot.

It just seems a bit ostentatious to me, kinda like "look at me, i'm great" whereas for me i do it 100% for myself and not to impress anyone.

As i say each to their own though, it takes all sorts to make the world turn around.

Cheers
Mark

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
You talk about what is essentially enjoying the 'fieldcraft' aspect of hunting, and I can well understand that; but could it not end with a good wildlife photo, rather than a dead animal?
That way you'd have to use the same skills as a hunter to get close to your quarry, find it's den or whatever, but not actually have to kill it. You'd still have the proof of your skills by virtue of a cracking photo.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
You talk about what is essentially enjoying the 'fieldcraft' aspect of hunting, and I can well understand that; but could it not end with a good wildlife photo, rather than a dead animal?
That way you'd have to use the same skills as a hunter to get close to your quarry, find it's den or whatever, but not actually have to kill it. You'd still have the proof of your skills by virtue of a cracking photo.

Now days it doesn't start never mind end, as i've not hunted for a few years.

Back then though many of the animals needed culling, it was either me with my rifle, gas, poison, ferrets or any other way way to die.
That's not really an excuse because i did enjoy both the hunt and the fruits of the hunt.

It's difficult to explain to someone who hasn't hunted why you do it, it's like trying to explain to someone why riding a motorbike is fantastic.
It's not really one thing it's the process, and application of skills, both learnt from experience, cunning, guile and the satisfaction of knowing that you took responsibility for what your eating.
When you stalked the prey, killed it, prepared it and cooked it, nothing tastes better.

Although i have hunted and do fish as often as possible i still consider myself a animal lover.
More so than some of my mates that are critical of my sport, as i know exactly where each meal comes from, how it was prepared after it was killed and take full responsibility for that.
Many critical mates eat meet but take no responsibility for it.

As an example we took the kids out the other week, my mates kids ordered chicken but didn't eat it.
Our kids although the same age gave them a bollocking, telling them that the animal has lost it's life to satisfy our hunger, so the least we can do is give it the respect of eating it.
This from 10 year olds.

So slightly off-topic i know, but i do still believe it's relevant to this thread, as it's easy to judge others, but unless you have had the same upbringing in the same environment it's impossible to put yourself in others shoes, never mind judge them IMO.

As i say it's a real shame the bear had to die, i'm sure the authorities looked into it though and if they're happy there was no foal play then i'm just happy the hunters got to go home to their families that night.

Cheers
Mark

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
There lies the dilemma. Even a large caliber handgun is marginal (at best) but a long gun is difficult to always have near at hand if you're fishing or cutting firewood, etc. and even more difficult to un-sling and aim in time for a bear charge. Bear spray has its place, I just don't really trust it completely.

Its only a dilemma if you go into grizzly country . Most Grizzly attacks happen while people are on the move, and usually because they have entered the space of a mother and cubs. If there's 3 of you at least two should have bear spray . There is no such thing as a comfortable situation in a grizzly attack,,you have to use what works. There are no guarantee's .Just north of me is a high density area of grizzly. There are a few valleys that people are advised to stay out of and pretty much that's what happens. Fortunately there's allot of area where people can recreate without the fear of grizzlies being around.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have absolutely no idea on Grisly populations and how best to control them.

If culling is indeed required then my objections to Joe public doing it are the fact that, this is a BIG animal and the right equipment in the right hands is needed.
If Jnr went out to hunt a Grisly with a .22, then it'd mean unnecessary suffering for the animal, and it would put anyone in the area in extreme danger

So IMO Grisly hunting IF needed would need to be very very tightly controlled...

I'm not sure we're completely on the same page (close but not quite) When I said there are some areas where the grizzly population would support hunting I wasn't speaking of a "need" to "cull" them, I was speaking of an "opportunity" to "harvest" them.

Why would anyone go hunting grizzly (or any big game ) with a 22? What's wrong with taking Jr. on the hunt with me? As to the right equipment it would be well to remember that bow hunting is legal here. Before he died, Fred Bear took most species of dangerous game with a 75 pound recurve (including grizzly, tiger, elephant, and lion)

Who else but the public would benefit from an open season on grizzly (or any other game) After all, that is the whole purpose of trying to get a sustainabley huntable population. For the benefit of the hunting public.

It might also be noted that said hunting public is the chief source of funds (through license fees and equipment taxes) used for conservation efforts of ALL species (hunted and unhunted) Without the sport hunters it's highly likely that the grizzly would have already vanished into extinction.

You say that taking photos of your kill seems ostentatious. Maybe so. So what though? Big game hunting IS after all a high adventure sport.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Its only a dilemma if you go into grizzly country . Most Grizzly attacks happen while people are on the move, and usually because they have entered the space of a mother and cubs. If there's 3 of you at least two should have bear spray . There is no such thing as a comfortable situation in a grizzly attack,,you have to use what works. There are no guarantee's .Just north of me is a high density area of grizzly. There are a few valleys that people are advised to stay out of and pretty much that's what happens. Fortunately there's allot of area where people can recreate without the fear of grizzlies being around.

Apparently the grizzly in this case though had been raiding farms and homesteads and had already killed numerous domestic livestock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE