Eek!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
If the hunters were out poaching bears I would have an issue with this but not if they were hunting elk and were attacked by a bear. If the hunting was legal then they were not doing anything wrong.

On the NRA point, even prominent bushcrafters like Ray Mears have been known to shoot deer. I'd say hunting is a bushcrafting activity.

One of the nicest guys I've met was a man who for the last 20 years hadn't eaten any meat or fish that he hadn't killed himself. He ate far less meat than me - hunting is hard - and I'd say his lifestyle was very ethical. I think he probably enjoyed hunting but I doubt that his enjoyment had anything to do with cruelty.

My paternal grandfather also used to hunt. His hunting was what put meat on the family table during the depression in NZ. As a child I once voiced anti-hunting sentiments to my father who was one of the soppiest animal lovers I've ever met. He surprised me by saying that he thought it far more ethical to hunt than to buy meat from a butcher (no supermarkets in those days - not even Walmart!). I'm sure he was thinking of his father when he said this.

It is not OK that the bear got shot. This thread reads more like an NRA forum than a bushcraft one. Im gobsmacked that people have no issue with this.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'm not saying whats right or wrong ......but on the subject of habitatual rights.....before we had stone /brick wood dwellings....where did we live ? In bush , cave etc... same habitat as bear wolf etc....we evolved...adapted an mostly became the alpha species. We have equal right to be backwoods as the creatures that still dwell there.
.its about respecting each other......

Yes I'm a hunter....but I'm also a coservasionist...

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I don't think so. If I hunted for elk I'd be hunting for food. How do you know these guys weren't also hunting for food?

I fish occasionally but being a Kiwi it is always for food. Fishing is also a sport so many of the arguments heard in this thread could be applied to fishing. For example, if I was spear fishing and killed an attacking shark (unlikely I know but humour me) would I also have committed a wrong by trespassing on the shark's territory? Others fish purely for pleasure. Would it be OK for me to kill a shark as I was fishing for food but not for someone fishing for fun?

You are missing my point by a square mile.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Two guys out hunting elk in the wood , bear charges them, bear gets shot ,sad but what would you do in that situation
So whats bugging you so much

Jason

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I shall try and be more succinct.

I do not think it was OK for the bear to die.

If the price to go elk hunting in bear territory is the occasional death of a bear then frankly lets not go elk hunting unless we really need the food.

Take only what you need. Leave only footprints.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
I shall try and be more succinct.

I do not think it was OK for the bear to die.

If the price to go elk hunting in bear territory is the occasional death of a bear then frankly lets not go elk hunting unless we really need the food.

Take only what you need. Leave only footprints.

can i ask -whats your views on the school party hiking in Norway ,that got attacked by the polar bear earlier this year ??? :)

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Interesting to see the different perspectives around the world. Canada's bear population is something like half a million. Bears get shot all the time.
Most people's attitude here is '**** happens, skin it and butcher it.'

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting to see the different perspectives around the world. Canada's bear population is something like half a million. Bears get shot all the time.
Most people's attitude here is '**** happens, skin it and butcher it.'

I don't think the difference is so much an issue of "Canada vs UK" or "US vs UK" or NZ vs UK." I think it's more to do with "Country vs City." There seem to be quite a few UK supporters for the hunters on the thread.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I don't think the difference is so much an issue of "Canada vs UK" or "US vs UK" or NZ vs UK." I think it's more to do with "Country vs City." There seem to be quite a few UK supporters for the hunters on the thread.

Brilliant - I live in and was brought up in the country, I go fishing as often as I can and enjoy it too. This whole farce started when I said it was a shame the bear had to die and folks took exception to it. Personally I think that sport hunting goes against the "take only what you need, leave only footprints" philosophy that I think embodies bushcraft.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Brilliant - I live in and was brought up in the country, I go fishing as often as I can and enjoy it too. This whole farce started when I said it was a shame the bear had to die and folks took exception to it. Personally I think that sport hunting goes against the "take only what you need, leave only footprints" philosophy that I think embodies bushcraft.

I don't really take exception to it. In fact I've stated that I'm not particularly happy about it, just that I'm also not particularly upset over it either (at least not if the situation was as it seems)

But it's true I'm NOT a "leave only footprints" type. I'm actually more of a pioneer/homesteader type.

I'd really rather not argue about it; I think the thread has been civil so far (by both sides of the debate)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE