Eating Irons. What and why?

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I looking at changing from my current KFS set which is a German Army set. I really like them but they are quite heavy for what they are.But they do have the can opener on them and the knife is sharp and solid so will cut most foods.
flbut1ux500a.jpg

Have been looking at the folding sort from Alpkit or Esbit which are titanium,
es50-51-52-53_foldable_titanium.jpg
also the Sea to Summit Alpha Light which are aluminium.
SS_Alpha_Light_Set.jpg

Still haven't made my mind up yet.

What sort of eating irons do you prefer? Folding or Rigid? Titanium, aluminium, stainless steel, plastic, wood etc? Or do you just whittle a set each time your out?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a ti spork (non folding) and an alpkit ti loon (long handled spoon) spork covers just about everything but the loon is great for eating from rat pouches directly. Because they are ti i tend to look after them. Ive lost plenty plastic sporks :D

i do fancy a spof though as it would cover off frying. they also do scoop add on which would be great for dishing up stew / pasta etc.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/edelrid_spof_and_spatula.html

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Depends on the trip. If I'm traveling light I only take a spoon; ususlly a plastic one (one of the large durable plastic ones meant to be re-used over and over) If I cain't eat it with my fingers i use said spoon. No need for a fork and I always have a kife in my pocket or on my belt.

On the other hand for extended trips or more stationary camping I use a set very similar to the top one in your post.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have the esbit fork and spoon... didn't bother with the knife as I already have one or two.

I much prefer a dedicated spoon and fork as while the idea is good, sporks aren't where its at for me these days.

resnikov

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
That's a nice bit of kit Red. Don't suppose anyone still sells them?
Alan

http://www.carterandjasper.com/dinnerware2.htm#forkknife

messcombo.jpg

From the USA though.

rosshs1

Apr 5, 2011
oxfordshire
Mainly a titanium spork, I have a set of sea to summit ones like you pictured, they are quite nice, also some alpkit ti-orns (or something) that I got for my wife, which are really nice.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Thanks Red. I have seen the ebay ones,but they don't split, so it's either a knife or a spoon etc.
The Carter and Jasper site I have longingly looked at many times, but the cost of postage to the UK is so high.
Any web address for Case?
Alan

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Red. I have seen the ebay ones,but they don't split, so it's either a knife or a spoon etc.
The Carter and Jasper site I have longingly looked at many times, but the cost of postage to the UK is so high.
Any web address for Case?
Alan

Here's a direct link to the Case company: www.wrcase.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE