Eating Irons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Loved the arcane detail of the recent waterbottle and mess tins and mugs threads so here's one on asking what are you eating with?

I've ended up with a Swedish Army set of KFS after faffing around with uber light titanium ones and the US Army issue "Meat Can" mess tins after trying Crusader mugs (not flat enough), Sea to Summit plates (too plasticky), British Army mess tins (can't stand the scrape of aluminium) and enamel cowboy plates (too chippy).

20231003_093809.JPG

20231003_093837.JPG

The KFS is heavy duty, no moving parts, epic spoonage and it fits in the mess kit.

I would have liked the knife to have been more pointy rather than butter knife but I'll survive.

The mess tins are the best of all I've tried. Flat enough to eat a steak but enough of a edge to hold stew and soup. Lid keeps things warm, handle so you don't burn your hands, long handle so you can put it in a fire, only 6 parts so robust and the lid attaches to the handle for bread and extras. And all one handed.

Hard to find now and avoid the cheap copies at all costs. Easy to clean and scrape clean.

20231003_153139.JPG

20231003_153233.JPG

What's everyone else eating with?

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
IMG_4553.jpeg
Dead cheap and very effective. Sit in my KK bag.

IMG_4699.jpeg
I know I’ve shown these before.
They are provided free at nearly every pitch I make.

Both the Kelly and my M40 (Swedish Army Trangia) provide everything else.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got the older version of this set. Mine has another dish as the lid instead of the rubber clips, and the salt and pepper shakers too.

Very tidy, robust, can't cook on it, but that's not what it was intended for.
I don't use the spork, I use the clip together set of spork and small spatula knife instead.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Depends if I'm Steamtenting or general camping what I use.

For the former I use vintage household cutlery from the earlier years. For the latter I use the west German army KFS set
1696490764736.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE