"Dual Surival" comes to Discovery Channel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Just watched the Nova Scotia episode, certainly better than the recent spate of survival related rubbish, teddy bear et al.

Cody Lundin comes across strongly as a student of Mors Kochanski's works. Beret headwear, wandering around in two pairs of wool socks with no outer foot wear in the snow, making a super shelter (a Mors innovation and one of his key subjects; though not properly executed in the episode), quoting Mors survival mantra in the final scenes "The wilderness is neutral, it is neither for you nor against you” he clearly has a lot of his own research and notions too, such as mitochondria training etc which I’m interesting in looking into.

I've never come across the other instructor, Dave Canterbury though, anyone have any info on his background?

A few things seemed a little odd; why not make more use of the raft? flip it over and it would make a nice bed for example, and even on its own it would have made a great signal marker, and why shoot the flare out of the gun to ignite it, the one (and only) time I tried that it ricocheted off the floor and shot 150m across a field before lodging in a bramble bush! There after I've always dismantled them and used the contents of the flare to start fires (you can get more than one ignition from each flare that way too). Still, you can’t in all fairness question these decisions after the fact and from the comfort of your armchair, things that seem obvious at home don’t cross your mind so easily when you’re cold, hungry and tired

I also found the porcupine scene a little suspicious, does anyone else get the feeling it might have been staged (captive porcupine), I would put this sort of stunt past TV produces.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I also found the porcupine scene a little suspicious, does anyone else get the feeling it might have been staged (captive porcupine), I would put this sort of stunt past TV produces.

I would say it's a TV programme therefore a lot of the scenes are going to be staged or set up etc so a given technique can be presented or shown. That's how TV production works.
Having a TV crew and all of it's support mechanisims on an island in Nova Scotia in winter means you're going to want to get the maximum bang for your buck when shooting. Waiting around for survival personality of the month's figure 4 deadfall to actually catch a racoon or whatever is probably not as productive filming wise as pretending you've caught the one that was raiding the trash cans of the crews motel the night before...

It's TV not real life...

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
It's TV not real life...

A little patronising, but you are right, though I am fully aware of the logistics and finacial pressures of expeditions and did not mean to imply that I thought none of the production was staged, as it would be an unrealistic assumtion, indeed some staging is a necessary evil. Rather I was suggesting that specific scene was not particularly convincing and not really necessary, as the program would have had more integrity without it.

Last edited:

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I watched it on YouTube and found it interesting. I wonder if Discovery were originally hoping that the two men with their own strong opinions and different philosophies would fight? I was hoping I wasn't going to be watching them arguing about belief systems and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they didn't, in fact the two different ideologies of the men was interesting and thought provoking and they worked together to get the job done. It's not that there wasn't a bit of friction or disagreement here and there but they were mature and confident enough to keep things in perspective.

I must say I lean more towards Cody Lundin on the attitude and outlook front but I don't think I'm going to be following his dress code of bare feet and shorts in sub zero temperatures any time soon. I'm not surprised that Dave Canterbury was a bit concerned it made me cold just looking at him. Still it seems to work for him and that "Iceman" fellow in Scandinavia can run around barefoot in the ice so it is interesting. I guess that being able to survive in freezing temperatures with little clothing may be a lost skill somehow.

red dreads

Nov 14, 2009
Eilean a Cheo
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Have been waiting since it was first posted on another link on BCUK. Only have terrestial tv, so a real bonus it was on you tube . Thanks for posting and for link.

Have to say I felt cold just watching Cody, I'd have to admit I'd rather give up my trousers than my footwear, cant understand why he doesnt wear moccs,stuffed with grass, indigenous people of that area did. But kudos to him( and Dave C) Looking forward to the next one.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I've never come across the other instructor, Dave Canterbury though, anyone have any info on his background?

Fot those that have not seen his You Tube channel, Dave Canterbury is a popular US bushcraft instructor & does lots of videos on you tube which are worth going through as he has a good philosphy & plenty of good ideas. The newer ones are done by other people while he was away making the Dual Survivor but some of those have good stuff in as well. They are US based so not everything is applicable to the UK but I like his stuff & have learned quite a lot from it. The site is:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE