Dogs - who owns what and how did you choose it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Congrats on the puppy Paul. I've just caught up with the thread. You prob. are already in a routine right now but we bought a 'crate' for our puppy (on the advice of the breeder) (a plastic pet car travel box with grill doors) and she slept downstairs in that right from the first night. For the first couple of weeks one of us slept on the sofa next to her but she was never let out of the crate during the night. She hardly whined at all as she knew we were with her. The idea behind it is that the pup has its own safe space that is never disturbed and is a place they can go to if they are frightened or tired. After a few months we never bothered to shut the door, she spends every night in there of her own accord. She is very frightened of loud bangs (after she was surprised by a rogue firework out in the garden when she was a pup), so needs a place to escape to when she is upset by loud noises and she knows its her space.

The crate is great when you need to leave the dog for a few hours, as they never (theoretically) want to soil their own private sleeping place. She never has had accident whist in there right from the word go. Now when she sees me put my coat on and pick up my car keys, she goes in there of her own accord. When we stay at other people's houses we always take the crate with us and it works out brilliantly, she never has a problem settling down for the night wherever we are, she has even slept overnight in our car in it no problem at all.

Well, I'm looking forward to your updates, having a puppy is just the best thing!

Bvdb-australischeherder.jpg

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Oh our little bundle of chaos doesn't like being confined. If we block get into a smaller area (kitchen and dining room) she struggles, whines and I get told to go down and sit with her to shut her up. I get the "it was your idea we got get so you sort her out" . Conveniently forgot she suggested a dog this time her decision but I guess at 3am she just forgot it.

So we have to allow her to move around a downstairs and to come upstairs too.

She's just made a wheezing whiney noise at my feet. I looked down and she rolled on her side with front legs lifted high just looking at me over her shoulder. A quick stroke i think is needed. Now she's moved to a bean bag. My young sons bean bag but she's taken over it. Peed on it to make sure!

Bath time tomorrow i reckon!

Reactions: Lou and Janne

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
It is still a pup but they have a baby in the house and it is very boisterous the dog not the baby, the pup have had its injections been de-fleaed and wormed, they live in Llanelli.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
At one point we were worried we would be in a similar position. Fortunately our young son got better around the pup and learnt how to deal with the difficult behaviour of puppies. The baby cant do this.

Until it can be rehomed obviously keep them apart. Remember it is not the dog's fault too. Being too harsh might affect it badly for the next owners.

Have you tried contacting local rescue centres? They might help by rehoming while the dog stays where it is. Plus they are better able to assess and rehome to ppl the dog is right for. Plus offer new owners training support.

Good luck.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Oh dear! I'm here for play! The dog plays with me roughly. I get the feeling it sees me as fun. Serious stuff is other half. Just like my son! I can discipline and do so but I'm still bitey play person to it!

Her teeth are getting longer too. Eye teeth (or in humans would be canines) they're long and actually twisted!

She's OK with a quick shower bath too. So finally smells at least better. Never had a wash i think. Hair is getting longer, lighter hair growing through. She's getting bigger too. Head has grown and her muzzle is longer now too. Nice looking dog! If I knew how to post photos (and actually get good ones of her - she moves too much to photograph) I would.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The shot schedule will depend on just what shots you're talking about. IIRC y'all don't do rabies vaccinations at all. What shots are legally mandatory there? You can't vary on those obviously. In any case I'd get one for bordetella (kennel cough) annually unless I never expected to take the dog out in public. Numerous other treatments here (distemper, and parvo virus) but I don't know if they would apply there. I assume the shots you're getting are a combo vaccine for more than one disease?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You mention her ‘eye teeth ( in humans would be canines)’

Our human eye teeth are called ‘canines’ because of the similar visual with dog’s (Canine’s) eye teeth!

Be firm with her. Do not accept any nibbling or biting.
Increase the harshness of the punishment until she stops.

Reactions: Lou

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We're getting there with training i think. She's a bright dog I think.

I was getting worried about how she wasn't sitting on command for me. My partner got her to sit very easily. Then she let slip she treated her when training. So I got the clicker we bought and a handful of treats. Walked into the room and she knew immediately what was in my hand. I knew that because she sat right in front of me looking up and at my hand of treats.

I got her to stand up by walking around. Then told her to sit. She sat, I clicked and gave her one treat. Did this a few times and the hardest thing was getting her to stand up in the first place.

12 weeks old now. She can sit on command, gets down when told, gets out of a box of hats she keeps jumping into and she sometimes understands the word "no!". Also she's weeing and pooing about 90% of the time on pads.

She's just sneezed about 5 times in succession. Do dogs get colds? What's that about?

We're off for second jab. Parvo, lepto 4, kennel cough, hepatitis and distemper. Third two weeks later. We're thinking it'll be ok to take her out after her second but the vet said as soon as she's had get third. He kind of hesitated like he was going to say after the second. I've been told that after the second would be ok but that's only from a breeder not a vet. Although they got that from their vet so indirectly it was.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sneezing. She'll very likely just have a tickly hair up there, they spend a lot of time sniffing things and the membranes are very sensitive. Mine sneeze regularly and often violently, it's not a worry.

Good work with the training, don't overdo it, 10 mins at a time is more than enough for the smart cookies like terriers, then they start to get bored or do it wrong. Mimi was bad for recall for ages, too easily distracted or choosing to ignore me. Myself and the good lady take a handful of treats out occasionally and separate by a good distance. One calls, she runs and gets the treat and praise, then the other of us does the same. Lots of exercise and positive feedback for the dog, she loves it.

House training was a pain though. We got her at about 12 weeks and she had no idea about it at all. The pads and paper were great fun toys, so we had to stop with the pads because of the absorbent crystals in them. I'd get her up every couple of hours or so at night and take her to the garden and watch her with a torch. This was late September 2014, windy, wet, Autumn leaves skittering across the lawn like live things that needed chasing. That was hard work because she didn't really know what she was outside for, but when she went, lots of praise and strokes.

Eventually, on a trainers advice, we taught her to ring a bell. Sounds mad, but it's really easy. Parrot type bell hanging from hand that also holds tasty stuff. Chicken is great for this. She wants the chicken so paws at your hand which makes the bell ring. Very quickly give the treat and put her straight into the garden. She'll soon began to associate ringing the bell gets her outside. If she does a wee or poo, then lots of praise but no further chicken. It's really handy in the night, or when you haven't noticed the dog slipping out of the room.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah they can get colds. Also allergies, but as has been said they sometimes just have a tickley nose. It's nothing to worry about unless she can't stop.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
She comes to her name. No training needed there! Took her for a walk today and tried off lead. Amazed that she just naturally wanted to walk with us. Is that a breed trait?

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I'd be wary of letting her off lead unless her recall in fool proof.
If she gets a whiff of something the terrier in her will chase it down and there'll be little you can do.
Best of luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE