Do I really need an iphone ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers guys, I think I'm going to pass on the offer for now.

I've got enough toys to keep me going until they come down in price a bit more.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Android Android Android

Desire is is £350 or £25 a month for 300 mins
Wildfire is good at about £180 ( gps+wifi good alrounder)
cheap as chips is the Orange san francisco or vodafone 845, both ;less than £100 if its the apps want

The Motorola Defy is a drop, scratch and water resitant new android phone, about £300

just move sim over!!

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
That’s a very good deal, can see your dilemma! I’m an Iphone fan but not sure it’s worth it for a few apps ….

I can’t agree with any of the comments about poor battery life on the iphone – you have to give it a fair comparison! Switch off the location and data services; use it as a phone and you get 5 days in the woods without a charge. Of course the temptation to use the star gazing apps is too strong to actually do that!

Does sound like an ipod touch may be the better solution.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i love my iphone 2, i have already stated some were here, om this site, once i bought my proporta turbo charger, my days in the wood with no battery was over, but when its time to upgrade, i'm thinking i might give this android a whirl, just to see how it goes, as i'm hearing good things all the time about these phones.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have a Macbook Pro, an Ipad and various ipods in the family but I stick with Blackberry for my phone and email. Blackberrys are a reasonable price on contract (£20/month on Vodafone, handset free), they are tough as old boots (I've dropped mine many times), the battery lasts several days and they do the basics really well, every time without going wrong, which is what I really want from my phone.

As a heavy Mac/Apple user, I think I can say that there is a bit of a conspiracy amongst us to say our Apple products are the best ever etc and worth the 2-3x price you pay over competing devices. It's interesting when you ask Mac-owning friends "should I buy a Mac" and they all say "yes of course they are amazing etc". It's only later you discover that there are pros and cons like everything else…and I do think that the iphone 4 is a bit of a turkey which Apple are about to replace with a new model that fixes many of the problems (according to Mac User and other sources).

NS

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Do you need an iphone. NO,

Will having your own smart phone change your life. YES it probably will TBH Many folks cant see the point in smart phones until they get one, and only then realise the massive difference they can make.

I'm not a fan of blackberries, as they are business oriented, and I also like to go out in cold weather (when its cold, there is easy money to make in betting blackberry owners who can type faster....Its quite funny when they realise they cant type with gloves on lol).

I have an iphone myself, as they will always have more support, and more docking units made for them. I'm not a fan of apple, but some facts just cant be ignored.
You could however get an android phone on contract, and not only should you be able to get a better monthly deal, but you could also get the phone free upfront.

I do find it odd that some people say you will get bored of apps and they are only curiosities...Maybe they should buy more useful apps. I use my apps EVERY day, and sometimes several times per day (this would be the same with an android phone).

Just as a quick example. If I want to go walking sometime, I can look on my shift app to see when i am working or not. I can send my shift pattern to any of my mates (and I have theirs too) so I know in advance when they will be free, If we do decide to go walking together, we can email each other routes and photos (so its free as I'm not texting the pics). I can book any accommodation I may need while I'm out in the field, or even buy something there and then on ebay (along with paying bills etc via internet banking). If we go somewhere we have never been before, then we can use the phones full spec GPS, and the compass (silva type) too if needed.
At the end of the day, the phone will look up the nearest fuel station or restaurant, to grab some supplies on the way home. Once in the car it acts as a sat nav (and hands free obviously), and also has an app that lets me see traffic cameras on the motorway, so i can actually see how busy the road is ahead (in near real time). This often helps on long journeys, where there has been an accident up ahead, as i can see which junction is the best to leave by (as my data will be more up to date than I can get from the radio). For sleeping out, I can listen to the radio, or watch a film or tv programme stored on the phone, or simply relax by reading one of the books on it, or gazing at the stars or moon, with either the star or moon apps.

All these tasks only use a fraction of the apps on the phone. I do have silly apps too, but probably no more than a dozen or so, and stick to the ones I need for work, and outdoor pursuits mostly.

As an aside, I actually save more than my phones monthly contract each month, by having red lazer installed on the phone. It only takes a trip to the shops to buy a few bits, and with red lazers ability to show me the cheapest price for the goods I'm after, I will often either get a discount in the store there and then (such as price matching) or will choose to buy right then, but using the phone to buy over the net. As an example, I bought a DVD the other night. In the store I was in it cost £12.99, but the app showed it for £2.99 in another store, so I bought it via the phone instead, with an instant saving of a tenner. Do this three times per month, and the phone is kind of free!

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would say "NO" - but then I am a Luddite who although owning a mobile phone barely uses it, it does not have a camera, I have never used it to "text", dont know (and cannot be ersed to find out) how to switch off the "predicted texting" which always got it wrong when I tried....
iPhones?
Why not stay at home and play on your PC?
Expensive toys that separate you from the great outdoors (where no phone is wanted except in an emergenc)!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a small rechargeable radio which I used to take out on trips. Then I found I was spending too much time listening to it which defeated the point of the trip. Now it stays at home.

My mobile is pretty basic, although it does take photos which I sometimes find useful as I can't be *rsed taking a camera.

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
John.

This is an interesting comment IMHO:
Why not stay at home and play on your PC?
Expensive toys that separate you from the great outdoors (where no phone is wanted except in an emergenc)!

(Banter mode ON) Can I ask where you you typed that comment....Wouldn't be a t a PC would it? :)

Do I also take it that you never use a camera, maps, compasses or any form of guide book while outdoors (noting that you already think a phone is good to carry for emergencies). Obviously you can carry whatever you choose, but personally I like to have safety gear with me, as well as a camera, and guide books on a regular basis. In mountain terrain, and especially when it is very foggy and at night, I find maps useful too, as well as a GPS for back up. Luckily, I can have all these things at my finger tips with one item (as well as it being a back up to the main compass, maps etc).

I am only curious, nothing more, but will say that I find some of the comments regarding smart phones quite funny TBH. Especially when some of the Luddites (not wanting 'new technology' to make things easier/faster) will also be carrying lighters, knives, bivi's, tarps, and torches (especially high tech ones), rather than use traditional methods. Oh, and will often be carrying a camera and mobile anyway lol).

As per above, we can ALL carry and use exactly what we want when we go outdoors, but am I the only one seeing the irony in folks poo pooing new technology, by typing messages on their PC over an INTERNET forum! :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
well my PC is a wooden steam powered one which i built myself and i,m sat here naked in a field using cowpoo methane to heat the water tank,..

but i did light the methane with a "4 for a pound" mass produced chinese cigarette lighter

Damn!!!!, stupid technology creeping up on me again,....damn you technology,...!!!!

right, i,m off to thrash my self with a bit of birch in the sweat lodge .,...

hahahaha

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As per above, we can ALL carry and use exactly what we want when we go outdoors, but am I the only one seeing the irony in folks poo pooing new technology, by typing messages on their PC over an INTERNET forum! :)

I hear what you're saying Ray but at the same time a lot of folk do like to switch themselves off from normal life once they get out, myself included.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE