Do I really need an iphone ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John.

This is an interesting comment IMHO:
Why not stay at home and play on your PC?
Expensive toys that separate you from the great outdoors (where no phone is wanted except in an emergenc)!

(Banter mode ON) Can I ask where you you typed that comment....Wouldn't be a t a PC would it? :)

Do I also take it that you never use a camera, maps, compasses or any form of guide book while outdoors (noting that you already think a phone is good to carry for emergencies). Obviously you can carry whatever you choose, but personally I like to have safety gear with me, as well as a camera, and guide books on a regular basis. In mountain terrain, and especially when it is very foggy and at night, I find maps useful too, as well as a GPS for back up. Luckily, I can have all these things at my finger tips with one item (as well as it being a back up to the main compass, maps etc).

I am only curious, nothing more, but will say that I find some of the comments regarding smart phones quite funny TBH. Especially when some of the Luddites (not wanting 'new technology' to make things easier/faster) will also be carrying lighters, knives, bivi's, tarps, and torches (especially high tech ones), rather than use traditional methods. Oh, and will often be carrying a camera and mobile anyway lol).

As per above, we can ALL carry and use exactly what we want when we go outdoors, but am I the only one seeing the irony in folks poo pooing new technology, by typing messages on their PC over an INTERNET forum! :)

There is no irony at all...
When at home I use "new technology" to keep me in contact with the "modern" world - the one that I am forced to exist in - when out in the wilds I carry a paper map (a quite old technology realy) and a phone (switched off)that is probably as old as some of the site members grandchildren plus a compas (again ...quite and old technology - only a few hundred years old realy) plus a lot of knowledge I carry in my head.
I take a camera with me as well - to record and take the wilds back home.
When out I try to get away from the modern world with all its pressures and slip into a slower pace of life - what I don't want is some inconciderate twongle next to me (never mine doing this myself!) with his phone on all the time which plays its poorly chosen ringtone that scares off the wildlife and brings the "modern" world just to let his boss know that he will be in the office on Monday as planned to deliver a presentation that has been prepared for months!
Instead of expensive phones with Apps for this and that I would prefer books (old technology again) that allow contemplative study. Using one little sensitive piece of electronics for all your safety requirements is a little risky in my eyes...batteries fail, water causes shorts, clumsyness causes gear to fall down cliffs etc and if it is all in one Smart (huh!) package then you could be truely stuffed....
Yup folks can take what they like into the woods, but for me Smart phones can stay at home next to the PC (they are probably more powerful than my PC anyway!) - in the modern - world while I relax in the wilds as close to nature as possible using old technologies, years of experience and bushcrafting skills to get me were I am going!
Electronic gizzmos such as Smart Phonescan stay at home where they prove useful, not only for day to day living, but help reconect me to the wilds when I cannot get there in person.
I would like to test the advantages of old technology against a Smart Phone in the Wilds - and next time I hear young Herberts phone going "bingley- bangly bong" out in the woods I may pit forged axe steel against Smart Phone casing to compare strengthof metals....:goodluck::viking::crutch:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi John.

I did say banter mode was on, but it seems you missed that, as well as why I was saying it lol

It seems however, you did make my point for me again though lol, by listing the relatively new technologies you happily use to make your life easier, such as books, a compass. and not forgetting ultra recent tech in the form of a camera. I look at it like this: a caveman type would instantly see the benefit in speed and ease of use of a camera over cave painting, a compass over the need to learn the way from someone who has been there before, and a book, as an excellent source of knowledge, rather than needing to meet an expert in each subject, and then to be told details (and to remember them).

The irony, is the acceptance of some tech items, while desperately trying to discount others (old fashoined wool type tops mixed with gore tex jackets springs to mind). I am sure you will have seen folks asking which is the best bushcraft torch, and the replies mentioning ultra high tech versions, or folks showing a bow drill they have just made.....But using their ultra expensive knife they bought (made by someone else) and using para cord (made by someone else and bought in a shop!, and then thinking they have gone primitive!, on the other hand, using a 50p lighter (only buying one item) is sometimes not seen as bushcrafty....How bizarre*

* of course, someone who finds a sharp stone for cutting, and then makes their own nettle cord to completely make their bow drill is a different matter.:)

On the other hand, if you made the camera, compass and book yourself, please accept my apology :),

As per above, BANTER MODE is still on, but it is worth remembering that the mobile phone you confess to carrying was seen as having NO PLACE AT ALL in the outdoors, and an item for arrogant show offs within our recent life times....I guess things change, and at least you can fit them in your shirt pocket these days :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nah - I did not miss the banter mode you just misread my tone which is equally banterish....
but I still fail to see the irony of the use of basic essentials that have a long history of use and still keep the modern world at arms length when out in the wilds along with condemning un-nessessary bits of wizardry that bring the modern stresses in to the woods with you along with the chance of simple mechanical failure.
I aint no caveman (no matter what my wife says) but would prefer the world to spin up its own orbit while I am away from home - I do not want my relaxation spoilt by modern gizzmos when I am chillin'.
Not sure I was bantering about Herberts phone and my axe though.......

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I would say "NO" - but then I am a Luddite who although owning a mobile phone barely uses it, it does not have a camera, I have never used it to "text", dont know (and cannot be ersed to find out) how to switch off the "predicted texting" which always got it wrong when I tried....
iPhones?
Why not stay at home and play on your PC?
Expensive toys that separate you from the great outdoors (where no phone is wanted except in an emergenc)!

Thank God I'm not the only one......

Personally I grade things like that as "girly gimmicks".

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My son just got an HD7, its got a big screen and looks like fun (he gave me his old G1 Android), that said my son in law (to be) is gutted, he loves the HD7 after playing with it, far better than the iPhone he is stuck with for over a year he says.

I'll stick to my 3310/ziplock bag for outdoor use. That said, I take a laptop and radio with me now and of course the ham radio kit will be with me in the new year too.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
No way I'd get an iphone unless they put a decent camera on there (8mp+ with a xenon flash). Otherwise there are plenty of other alternative smart phones with decent cameras. Of course that is just my opinion because I like to have phones with good cameras inside them.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Another no. Save the money for something else.

I have a small rechargeable radio which I used to take out on trips. Then I found I was spending too much time listening to it which defeated the point of the trip. Now it stays at home.

I like to take a radio. The only time I really listen to one.

That said, this seems to be John's point to me. Not a lot of point going, if you going to drag the world along.

My mobile is pretty basic, although it does take photos which I sometimes find useful as I can't be *rsed taking a camera.

Think that is the thing I like with the modern ones, they are a bit swiss army knife like. You get a lot of stuff in the one box.

I really like the fact that I can carry a library for no extra weight. I like having a GPS for those moments of 'Ok, were is the path?'.

Despite being a fan of the tech, I think I am more on John's side of the arguement. I like the tech, I like the advantage it brings, but do not see the point of bringing the inside outside.

Personal choice and depends on your finances of course.

I was an anti iphone person, but succumbed in Feb of this year (2010) and gotr a 3GS and was than and am now still blown away with it.

If I am lost I can see where I am, If I need to get somewhere from where I am to a point I am unsure of I can so with a few initiative screen taps.

I can find the nearest selection of pubs when in an unfamiliar town, view the menu, and click to make a reservation or to call them.

I too can view my shift pattern and email to friends.

Take, edit and upload photos to Photobucket and facebook.

Convert units, use Red Laser to save me money, go on ebay and amazon, check lotto results, work out my BMI, check IMDB, and see the nearest National trust properties, costs and admission times, tune a guitar (although I cannot play one), see what knots to tie.

Read books, dictate to text and email, facebook SMS etc,

I can be out side a house for sale (as we are on the market and looking to move) check on right move or find a property and see the inside, see the price and book a viewing.

When cored I can plat silly games or in depth ones, I can play an Ocarina,

I can listen to over 1500 songs I have stored on it, watch free view, listen to lots of radio stations, watch movies, surf the net, watch youtube, go on Facebook, view forums.

I can even call people on it for a chat.

OK the battery life is pants, but I have a clock radio dock for sleep time, a dock on my Home Theatre system, a USB jack at work, and a car charger.

When my contract expires I will deffo upgrade to the newest version.

But I am a Geek!!

Caveat my wife who is not at all interested in phones or Tech can use it and wants it when I upgrade.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
I find navigating with an iphone quite time consuming and fussy. I went out yesterday with only it and soon found myself longing for a paper map and a silva. Also, why are digital maps so much more expensive than their paper counterpart?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
buttons!!!

things in my world need buttons to work them,...

i need something to click when i push it,...

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
hahah

Rich,...

in answer to your first question,..

NO! you dont NEED an Iphone,...

as members of BCUK arent we advocates only NEEDing the basics

i think you just WANT one very much ,..

make one out of a coke can,..or a bit of wood....

lol

Stu

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I know it's possible to live without an iPhone, but I don't understand why anyone would bother. It's not just a wonderful resource running an intuitive operating system, it doesn't just integrate perfectly with an iPad and Mac desktop, it's downright magic. I love my iPhone. They can have my iPhone when they pry it from my cold, dead hands. I want to have my iPhone's baby.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
ive had both andreod phones ie g1 and now i have the iphone 3gs 16g my daughter works for t mobile so i get friends and family discount to be honest i never got on with the g1 and find the iphone easier to use as for battery life as long as you remember to close all your apps down battery life should be fine mine will last 3 days anyway in answer to your question £400 is a lot of money when youve already got a phone for free its an unessacery purchase but when has that ever stopped us bushcrafters regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE