Dartmoor Meet 1st to 3rd April

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Further , to a few peole having to drop out , i will open it up to those who showed an interest after close date , please let me or FreddyFish know as soon as possible ,thanks Ivan ..

As a total outsider from the thread, Fox and me have just got back from a night out on Dartmoor ( was a tad cold last night, but Sat & today the weather was just gorgeous from 6am this morning onwards ) and if there is any possibility of being included we would appreciate it ( space provided and ofc we'd be last on the list of hopefuls ;) )

Cheers

Feb 6, 2011
none
Well with names like Badger and Fox , how could i say no , i camped with my 11 year old again last night , bit of rain in the night , but what a morning to wake up to !! I will pm you directions etc , please let me know as soon as you can when you will be coming , thanks Ivan..

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Ivan....
My plan is to arrive on the Friday afternoon, prob mid afternoon as I will be bringing Salad and maybe one other with me.
I expect to arrive around 3pm.

J

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Well with names like Badger and Fox , how could i say no , i camped with my 11 year old again last night , bit of rain in the night , but what a morning to wake up to !! I will pm you directions etc , please let me know as soon as you can when you will be coming , thanks Ivan..

Thanks for allowing us to attend Ivan, we're pretty new to it all and love spending time on Dartmoor, fortunately we're about 1/2 hour from you :D Hopefully we'll be able to attend from Friday to Sunday, but as i put in the pm i sent you, we have a 15 year old at home ( no chance of him coming, girls are his only concern in this time of his life!) so we may only be able to do Saturday morning to Sunday.

I haven't seen whether dogs are allowed? We have Dusty our border collie who loves people and is very well behaved, what are your views/rules on 4 legged companions?

Fox is preping a huge warming stew to share, after sitting around the campfire last night i can say it's a bloody fine additive to those nights spent outside ;)

Cheers

badger

Feb 6, 2011
none
Hi Badger, dont want to seem a killjoy , but as you are joining last minute , its too close to ask everybody about the dog ,i have an 8 year old black lab soft as butter but he is staying at home , its my first meet so i will learn a lot from the experience .Dogs/ guns /small children /parking what people expect etc , thanks for being understanding,Ivan..

ps the foxy stew sounds great !

Feb 6, 2011
none
Just to clarify. I hate rules ! and the last thing anybody wants to see when they turn up for a break is a list of donts ! as long as your arm. This is a whole new experience for me as i have only camped with a few friends, have not been to a meet, never mind hosting my own . But as most of you have done it all before , and some know each other , you will probably guide me .Back to the rules thing . Please on this one no dogs , partly coz its lambing season and i dont know if its fine with everybody,no guns . you are welcome to pitch anywhere you like in my 12 acre site , so you can be as social or private as you like. You can help yourself to firewood/ kindling, there is loads cut and loads of dead wood all over the woods , but it goes without saying no cutting of living trees/ branches.You can have your own individual fires , and lastly please only poo in the designated areas , dont worry there will be a few, some more basic than others , but private nonetheless .Thats it rules over ,wasnt too bad was it ?

atb Ivan..

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Hello all, as already said, Southey unfortunately can't make it and I was going to getting a lift with him as I can't leave the OH without a car for the weekend.
So, if anyone has any space/feels they can put up with me for the journey, I'd be most grateful, will split fuel costs. Not carrying much - bergen and couple of 'liquid' containers.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
I think your rules are more than reasonable, Ivan!

Bushwhacker, we will be driving across on Friday morning from London and depending whereabouts you are, we would be more than happy to swing past. However we only have a SportKa so it may be a bit of a squeeze with three adults and 3 packs! - Your call!
If anyone else is going that way it may be worth checking - perhaps Neumo?

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
hi badger, dont want to seem a killjoy , but as you are joining last minute , its too close to ask everybody about the dog ,i have an 8 year old black lab soft as butter but he is staying at home , its my first meet so i will learn a lot from the experience .dogs/ guns /small children /parking what people expect etc , thanks for being understanding,ivan..

Ps the foxy stew sounds great !

guns....???

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Hello all, as already said, Southey unfortunately can't make it and I was going to getting a lift with him as I can't leave the OH without a car for the weekend.
So, if anyone has any space/feels they can put up with me for the journey, I'd be most grateful, will split fuel costs. Not carrying much - bergen and couple of 'liquid' containers.

Paul I am waiting to find out if one of my friends is coming.... If they don't end up coming I could probably give you a lift. Will try to find out what they are doing this week.

J

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Hi Jaysurfer , dont panic about guns! its just i have had enquiries about shooting etc. I just meant that this meet being my first will be a learning curve for me.

No worries... was just a bit surprised to see guns mentioned. I for one enjoy shooting but not around a group of people at an open meet in woodland! Ingredients for disaster come to mind lol

Feb 6, 2011
none
Dont want to offend anyone , people have different views on guns and shooting , but in the future i will be organising a shooting/ bushcraft meet, as i have a couple of hundred acres at my disposal , not too far from my site , best of both worlds to some , but that will be announced after this meet . Ivan..

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Dont want to offend anyone , people have different views on guns and shooting , but in the future i will be organising a shooting/ bushcraft meet, as i have a couple of hundred acres at my disposal , not too far from my site , best of both worlds to some , but that will be announced after this meet . Ivan..

oooohhhh..... I think in bushcrafting people are either those that would give shooting a go or do shoot or those that don't but accept it and don't have a problem with it. I'm a qualified small bore firearms instructor and enjoy shooting when I get chance as well as enjoying a good bird hunt again when I get chance. Time and opportunity is always the limiting factor...

I have never been deer stalking though but I don't think that is for me, I prefer deers more when they are alive than dead.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Think you are right Jay , our place is awash with roe deer and they are beautiful, couldnt shoot one even if i had the right gun , same with the fox , treats my place like a KFC but still couldnt shoot him, i am only talking rabbits etc ,only air rifles ..

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Yeah I agree...
I know lots of people see foxes as vermin etc but I think they are a stunning animal and deer have so much grace to them - I couldn't shoot either!

Although rabbits... well there are probably more rabbits in this country than people so they are fair game (excuse the pun) and pigeons and pheasants are just stupid and both taste good so easy to enjoy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE