Dartmoor Meet 1st to 3rd April

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Will be going light weight myself, as I am getting a lift of Jaysurfer and Knowing Jay his car will already be full of Kit :):)

I'm actually gonna try and go lighter than normal... Not organising this one So should be easier lol
But sayng that I am sure I will find a reAson to bring stuff tht I don't need you know 'just in case' !

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
I've just returned from Ivans and can honestly say i'm very impressed with his passion and work to make this site as natural and welcoming as possible.

This morning we followed the instructions posted to those coming about getting there and found no problems with them at all, concise and perfect.

Upon driving up the last part of the lane we were met by Ivan on his quad who was just checking we were coming oki ( we were running abit late due to customary Landy issues ) and we pulled up into his yard. First impressions of our host were what a nice chap he is, very pleasant and polite and more than eager for us to feel relaxed. Ivan showed us the stores for various stuff he has for future ventures including tents, cooking utensils, wood, and just about anything anyone can think of that you may need !

After a show around of the cabin ( a backup place in case of emergencies ) we hauled our rucksacks on and wandered off to the land which is host to the meet, turning out of the drive we headed up a lane for 5 minutes to the gateway which leads onto the moor itself, from here it was another 5 minute walk around the gate and then a further 5 minutes ( although took a little longer as Ivan was showing some areas to us on the land ) to the beginning of the site.

First impressions were just how natural it is, a small stream runs all the way down the whole area and we had to cross a little boggy bit to get to it, but we're sorting something out this week to help with trekking across the marshy bits ;) After that we had a walk all the way along the area, Ivan showed us where he had done some work to help drain the land abit and alot had been done as well, Ivan has done some amazing work to help shape the marshy areas and provide some great solid ground which contains a whole host of areas to set up however you wish to do so ( tents, tarps, hammocks etc ).

A few large fire pits are available, one will host a fair few people together for those evening fire n talks if you want that, and there are more than enough areas if you want to be alone, some secluded, some out in the open abit and some where ever takes your fancy. The top area is complete virgin territory, Ivan has left this as it is for those who wish to use the services that nature provided, but please don't think the rest is not in it's natural state, it is, just a little more open.

The water is very clean, tested twice a year and supplies the local resident buildings, it comes straight off the moor from natural springs, very clear.

After the initial tour we settled down to some coffee n tea and chatted about the area and it was pure bliss to have such peace and beautiful surroundings and soon we were totally relaxed and it becomes apparent how passionate Ivan is about providing a natural area for people to enjoy bushcraft and other hobbies relating to it.

We headed back to the start area next to the cabin, but couldn't drag ourselves away so we went back up alone and later on Ivan and his daughter joined us they were staying overnight. We made up a fire and settled down again to chat and soon it was getting dark and we had to head back home and leave Ivan & Katie to their camp for the night. As we were driving home we so wishing we could've stayed the night ( Ivan offered us a tent and whatever we needed if we wanted to stay ) but we had teenagers to tend to at home, so we reluctantly headed back.

Even now as i sit here and type this i know you will all enjoy and appreciate the effort Ivan has put in to provide this area for others to enjoy, i'm really looking forward to the meet, to meeting you all and sharing the great experience Ivans little piece of Dartmoor he has to offer.

Cheers

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Cheers for the offer Freddy, looks like I'm all sorted now. Nova & Pinky are picking me up en-route, much thanks to them.
Just need to get a few sundry items and I'm hot to trot. Going to have to make some more jerky too, I've eaten most of the load I made at the weekend.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Cheers for the offer Freddy, looks like I'm all sorted now. Nova & Pinky are picking me up en-route, much thanks to them.
Just need to get a few sundry items and I'm hot to trot. Going to have to make some more jerky too, I've eaten most of the load I made at the weekend.

ADVISE TO NOVA & PINKY
If Bushwhacker asks you to stop at a kebab shop ,Say NOOOO. If not you will have to stay there until he has had a free sample of everything they have on there menu and it could take the whole weekend :)

RULES OF BUSHWHACKER
1)Dont feed him after midnight
2)Dont get him wet
3)Never never never let him near a kebab shop

Good luck on your Journey

Last edited:

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
not very clear, I agree :)

The thanks salad was for his warning about Bushwhacker (who we are picking up on our way to the meet).

The reference to seasoning iron was in reference to Freddy' advice to season the cast iron dutch oven first (although I've since found out it's pre-seasoned, so should only need one more coat for now?)

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
hiya all, still not at all sorted with all the kit still under piles of other crap in the garage! lol. never mind, finishing work at 1pm friday, home by half past.. gives me 2 hours before the kids are back from school. :)

all being well, should be there by 6pm hopefully staying light late enough to get pitched, fire prepped for morning coffee and then joining you for evening drinks :p

our plan is to go light, making use of natural resources..... so no tripod, grill or cast irons for us! ;) going to try and educate my kin on how little we can really get by on

one thing i am short of.... and cant get sorted by the weekend, is paracord....... does anyone have 25 meters or so i could buy off them please? no worries if not, have some guy lines spare so can make use of them if needs be

anything else im neglecting? sure there is :(

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Btw i must remind you all, after following the directions that Ivan has given us, on the last leg when you follow the Boswell road for apprx 2 miles ( the 3 mile bit he talks about )

Beware of the soddin speed bump!

If you ignore this and tootle along at any speed above 10mph your likely to end up whacking your head on the roof ;)

it's not signposted or any indication that the nutty woman of the land put it in some years ago ;)

Carry on

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
hiya all, still not at all sorted with all the kit still under piles of other crap in the garage! lol. never mind, finishing work at 1pm friday, home by half past.. gives me 2 hours before the kids are back from school. :)

all being well, should be there by 6pm hopefully staying light late enough to get pitched, fire prepped for morning coffee and then joining you for evening drinks :p

our plan is to go light, making use of natural resources..... so no tripod, grill or cast irons for us! ;) going to try and educate my kin on how little we can really get by on

one thing i am short of.... and cant get sorted by the weekend, is paracord....... does anyone have 25 meters or so i could buy off them please? no worries if not, have some guy lines spare so can make use of them if needs be

anything else im neglecting? sure there is :(

If you get stuck, I'm around on friday and have 100ft ( 550 strength ) of the stuff i bought. Although i don't necessarily need it, so it's yours if you get no luck elsewhere :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE