Dartmoor 5 ! The Wrap Up Warm Tour !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Yes ! getting much colder from Thursday onwards , possible flurries on high ground ! i thought a flurry was an ice cream ? anyway if it going to snow anywhere in Devon , we should get a drop , being so high up , fingers crossed .

Hey Rick , BBW'S any good theres a boy racer in the next village , i am sure he won't miss em , no one else in the village would ! can do you a nice deal on a 1978 Cortina off side mirror , or a key for a David Brown 996, stocks a bit low at the moment .

But Savage Spares are planning a trip into town , you know Multi Storey Spare's , so we will have a look for you , we will even throw in a free set of mudflaps , part of the January sale , they do say Alfa Romeo on them , but don't look a gift Dartmoor Pony in the mouth .

Oh No ! They have got me at it ! going off topic !

I wonder if chef Anthony Worral Newman is in Tesco as we speak shoplifting wine and cheese , I hope so !

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi De Hi , campers , just advanced warning , i will probably be online in the morning , but after that i am taking myself up to the camp , so any last minute questions , insults etc , get them in early to avoid dissapointment !

The sites looking pretty good , firewood sorted , food sorted i think ! beer sorted of course , just got to tidy up , quick shake and vac , bit of Mr Sheen and we are ready for a great weekend !!

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Ivan, thanks for being so thoughtful, and thanks to the cook for trying to save me some work. That is fine about the veg and peeling etc, instead of doing stew, and I will say yes to the tent please, as I'm not sure what time I am finishing work, and as you say it will certainly be dark. Would appreciate knowing i can get somewhere warm that night - probably best not to take any more chances - at least until the mocking laughter has died down!

Sooooo looking forward to getting there. I may carry in some wine or strong stuff for the evening and then carry in my contribution of beer from the car the next morning - but leave a message on my phone if you need me to bring the beer in on Friday night because you have drunk the place dry (seems likely).

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Wish my car woe was just a tyre.... Think my injectors are playing up... Gonna be best part of £100 just to diagnose on Wednesday. If I need new injectors, you can times that by 10 :'(

Course, might be worse, might be the turbo!! Looking at £1500 then. The car ain't worth much more :( but then, finding a replacement that has (and hopefully remains after this) been as trouble free for the same money is highly unlikely

Sent via tapatalk from my shiny sgs2

What turbo you got that'll cost 1500?? you driving a scania truck :lmao:

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
:Update:

Looks like we'll be there sometime on Friday, Foxy wants to stay both nights, but i only got Friday night off so one for me. Went to basingstoke yesterday to pick up my tyres, so will be finding as much mud n fun as possible on route to Dartmoor :p

If i can get everything sorted at work we should be up around early afternoon Friday

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
What turbo you got that'll cost 1500?? you driving a scania truck :lmao:

nope, 04 mondeo TDCI 130 euro 4.

dealer price new and fitted, £1400. plus of course full service on top, £120

even a recon turbo is £500 plus fitting, but aint gambling on a recon turbo

injectors are £200 each plus feed pipe and coding

18 months ago the clutch and assembly kit cost me £750 and that was mates rates and vat free parts

modern cars eh?

:,(

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I am so glad , that i have not got any wheels at the moment ! never mind the price of fuel , and what those rotten sods did with insurance last year ! having to drive from Devon to Basingstoke to get a good deal on tyres ! then your oscillating giggle pin goes along with your turboliser , its enough to drive a grown man to tears , thats without having a new crutch £750 quid , glad i am staying single !

OH sorry clutch , my mistake ...

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
yep the turbo supplied new and fitted with warranty on parts and fitting. likewise the injectors etc

the clutch (well flywheel, dont do one without the other really on new diesels, but as it was, the clutch was okish, it was the flywheel that went) is a dual mass one hence the price, you can get aftermarket solid flywheels, but then they put a load of pressure back into the crankshaft causng mor eproblems later on :(

as for fuel, at £1.39 a litre (cheapest local), my tank is £85 from empty and youll get 550 miles out of that (less at the moment as drinking feul with the current problems) i do 1000 - 1500 miles a month :( ouch! when i bought the car 5 years ago, it was £50 to fill

ah well, the point of playing on the woods/hills/etc is to forget those things :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Uh Oh ! SSSHHH ! Everybody and she won't know we are here, she doen't know we are trying to have a meet without her !

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Uh Oh ! SSSHHH ! Everybody and she won't know we are here, she doen't know we are trying to have a meet without her !

oh, thought she was the farts and dafts judge, ive gone out and got bribes and everything (dont get too excited... )

look out snakes. You are correct as usual, regarding dual mass flywheels needing to be changed with a clutch, and many diesels are dual mass these days. Cheapest quote I could get for a flywheel fitted to a mondeo was £1000 all but a few quid. The clutch and flywheel are pretty much the same on the diesels as they are on some of the 1.8 petrol modeos. Hydraulic, needing to change the slave cylinder and usually the lines at the same time as the clutch and flywheel. I'm happy with polly the punto. 50 mpg from a 1.2 8v petrol, still returns 40 mpg at 100 mph. Tank costs £65 to fill to the brim, and will do 500 miles on it. It used to be £40 to fill her up :(

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
I don't bother much nowadays as I'm old, Pandy handed and have the funds to pay someone else to do the job better and quicker.... But I'm not daft when it comes to mechanics... Not so much as to be ripped off... Learnt to strip and rebuild a 4 stroke engine by age 14 and did much of my c&g (though didn't complete) in mechanical engineering as an apprentice tradesman in the RCT.

I may be a namby pamby nurse now, but didn't go to uni til I was 23, between leaving school at 14 (nope, not legally but social workers didn't care much those days) and uni, I'd been a mechanic, brief stint in army, general building labourer, bricky, scaffolder, concierge, hospital porter and a technician in geology lab for a civil engineering firm.... I have sharp eyes, quick brain, good ears and I learn fast. My let down is short attention span! Lol, but that's why I like my job now.... One minute I could be crunching numbers for some government data submission, the next delivering a group, the next bouncing on someones chest and sticking needles in them cause they've od'd on the doorstep.

So please rest assured, I'll be having a. Good convo with the garage about their diagnosis of my car troubles before signing off or paying for any work :)

Sent via tapatalk from my shiny sgs2

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thats the beauty of the Dartmoor gang , career advice , mechanical skills , hints on where to procure car parts , emotional support , we even discuss bushcraft , wildcamping occasionally , no need to reserve it for the fireside eh ? brilliant , i can hear the tuts as i type ! never mind its all part of life as we know it Jim !

By the way , i think Mongoose , has had a bit of earache , with the social network / BCUK , homework ratio , and think whilst revising she was just having a look ! and maybe someone came in the room and had the nerve to look over her shoulder , whoops !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE