Curing anaemia with an iron fish

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes indeed, we need more of this kind of approach to many of our problems; an elegant simplicity of thought demonstrated with this.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Thanks for the link. Elegant solution.

An old trick from a book on relief work I read, was to stick a bunch of nails into a lemon, wait, and then squeeze and drink the juice.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Is it effective? I don't want to seem a total wowser, but an improvement in only 50% of the people makes the connection a bit tenuous.

If the iron fish was really really effective then you'd expect nearly everyone to be improving.

Needs more research, would be a sensible cause for money to be spent on it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would say curing half of the cases of one of the commonest forms of malnutrition with a simple, accessible, sustainable and affordable mechanism is hugely encouraging.

Bear in mind it does not say an improvement in 50%, it says nearly half were no longer anaemic. The anaemia may have improved in far more than 50%.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is it effective? I don't want to seem a total wowser, but an improvement in only 50% of the people makes the connection a bit tenuous.

If the iron fish was really really effective then you'd expect nearly everyone to be improving.

Needs more research, would be a sensible cause for money to be spent on it.

I have mixed feelings about it to be honest.

On the minus side I have the same doubts you mentioned; but on the plus side, the sheer simplicity and affordability make it too attractive not to try.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Very clever.

Since the japanese and chinse started eating red meat there height and physicality has improved a great deal, I suppose the Cambodians eat atot of fish and vegitables. I believe whale meat is a red meat too.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
IIRC there's a lot of dietary iron in dark green leafy vegetable too.

Aye kale was a Scottish staple for a very long time. Full of iron, lasts through our winters and is very tasty. So much so that it entered our language with phrases like the "kale yard".

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Very cool. :)

Another old method which has been proven to work, is put stab iron or low carbon steel nails into an apple, and leave for a day before eating. Something like 8 large nails could provide 10-15mg of iron.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE