Crusader cooking system?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Hello!I have and use one and i think the system is good and worth buying.I use mine with hexy blocks and not that fire snot which is rubbish!
My only complaint about it is the coating eventually burns off.(well it has on mine)

N.Walsham...you're not too far from me.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I only said that because i paid for what is effectivly a bit of bent aluminium and i was bitter.It does work..i guess..seems like it might slip off easily though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have one and it works OK - the "lid" only realy works as a "sipper lid" to keep your brew hotter once made.
Try using it during cooking and you may find it either melts or jams in the mug.
Make a metal one from your mess tin!
I have found the "new recipe" fire snot better than the original stuff.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i dont rate the crusader kit that much prefer the swiss army volcano miles cheaper and easier to light (still use it with hexi more so than twigs) i found lighting my crusader set on an exposed beach quite tricky the only way i found was to use a turboflame lighter which makes it easier to get the flame on the hexiblocks. In woodlands and sheltered areas though it is a great bit of kit but flawed on my usual spot for a brew. It packs together nice but i wish i hadnt bought mine now should have just got the new hexi stove which takes a crusader cup instead like this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...KmnCg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0
still the choice is yours oh and to agree with the above avoid the green snot it works ok in shelter but a decent cold wind and its a bugger to light also. I prefer hand steriliser alco gel its cheaper and in a convenient bottle and has a dual use.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
I find it a good piece of kit,made a metal lid for mine. I too tried the greenheat snot,not good. I use esbit or hexi in the stove,i have a 50p bottle of the dry alcohol hand soap which i squirt some on the blocks,a couple of sparks and they light first time. Some love the kit some hate it.The set up is a lot easier than the mess tin set up i was issued with years ago. My opinion.Cheers.
Darren

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use the mug all the time, but have moved away from the cooker part these days.

When I did use it (a lot) it was with hexy as the greenheat gel was next to useless in the cold.

Simon

seatarp

Oct 26, 2010
By the Sea in Blighty
I like my crusader set, even the plastic lid! Don't get the black, non stick, version for the mug as the non stick flakes off and is not pleasant (it's also carcinogenic). I've found the Greenheat gel works as well as meths or hex and it doesn't smell unpleasant.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I love my crusader set (just brewed up in the garden with it this morning to welcome the new snow fall!) I find myself using the plain steel one much more than the 'tactical' black set but don't really know why. I have never had any problems using either hexi or Greenheat in my stove but there is a third option, Trioxane bars. These are the older version of the US army's answer to British hexi ( I think that now they issue the GI's with a form of green snot IIRC). They can be difficult to find on this side of the pond but they come wrapped in individual foil pouches and burn hot and clean with no smell. Sometimes I have struggled to light hexi without a bit of work scraping powder or using cotton wool or some such but with trioxane it powders very easily and can be ignited by harsh language lol. It burns hot and will get your brew sorted in no time at all, without leaving any mess on your Crusader mug.

HTH

Sean

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The system is ok for a brew or a snack but for a proper meal it just ain't big enough I find. Even a ratpac boil in the bag is a pain to get into and out of the mug when cooked...burnt fingers. I've used a hobo quite a lot over my latest outings and find it works just as well but the pots are a bit roomier (tea caddy size) and this provides enough hot water to cook the ratpack, make a brew to wash it down, and enough hot water to wash up afterwards. I use the green snot to get twigs and pine cones alight then carry on just with those.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I use mine purely for a brew, i keep the full set up plus a warthog ally lid, 58 patt bottle,my honey stove,kfs,box of hexi's, inside a 44 pattern resi case,its my most used out for a walk brew kit.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
I like the way the crusader system packs neatly together. The little circular well in the cooker can also be used for a mini pop can meths stove.

I'd reiterate what the other posters said - make a metal lid. I've just used thick foil from a pie dish.

timf2009

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
Hamburg Germany
I got the kit but tbh I don't use the cooker part anymore. I have a honeystove which fits neatly in the pouch with the bottle and the two cups. I heat the water in the metal cup part and make my brew in the plastic one. I find the tea gets cold too fast in the metal cup plus you have to wait for the metal one to cool unless you want to weld your lips to the cup :yikes:
As others have said it's too small to properly cook in but makes a great brew kit.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Yes, I agree it's primarily a brew kit. And a good one at that. Also, def agree about the metal mug - took the skin off my lips once! Blisters and everything!

You can boil enough water for dehydrated meals, if you use those. I haven't, but I have used it to make cup-a-soups and mugshot type snacks. You could even make Pot Noodles if you're mental!

M

marco89

Hey Guys
I absolutely agree with you.
The mug is excellent, the stove is OK, at least better than the german Esbit stove and making a lid of metal could be very clever.

The only thing i don't like is the bottle. Mine is leaky :( but it could also be an imitation.
Does anybody know if the US. issued bottle fits in the cup?
Sorry for being OT but it accidentally crossed my mind ;)

Best wishes from snowy Bavaria
marco

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
another one to consider if you're looking for the whole cup/cooker combo is the US G.I Canteen cookset...very similar and not as bulky. Seems perfect for days out in the woods...Im on the brink of purchasing one meself incase I decide not to take my swedish mess kit (which is the mutts)...just my 2 pence worth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE