Cowboy Pork and Beans recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Evening cats, I'm on the hunt for traditional cowboy,pioneer, pork and beans recipes.
Anyone got a favorite?
Many thanks.
C

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Salt pork, dry beans, water. Chopped onions.
Fry onions in cubed pork fat
Cut pork in smaller pieces, place in a pan with beans and water. Slow boil until soft and tender.

I do the boiling in the oven. After about one hour, shut the oven off but leave casserole inside overnight.

Edit: if you can find salted pork tails in a caribbean ethnic shop, get those.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Slice some pork jowl and fry it. Add onions and saute until translucent (don't overcook the onions) Add dried beans (preferably pinto beans if you want "cowboy") that have been soaked overnight or use canned beans. Simmer for at least an hour (two would be better) Seasonings to taste, but I like salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper during the simmer. Any good, fat pork can be substituted: salt pork, bacon, belly, ham hock, etc.

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Thanks Janne, any seasoning?
s man2000, pork jowl, cheeks?
Simmer in a cassarole i'm guessing,with stock?
Thanks for taking the time.
Best.
C

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Google Boston Baked Beans Chris. Treacle, pork belly, beans etc. Long cook time, but well worth it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thanks Janne, any seasoning?
s man2000, pork jowl, cheeks?
Simmer in a cassarole i'm guessing,with stock?
Thanks for taking the time.
Best.
C
Pepper, molasses. But I suspect the molasses are a later addition.
Most receipes have Tomatoes ( -products), BBQ sauces and so on. Minced beef. Again, later additions.

Cowboys trekked for months. Badly paid, frugally fed.
Died young from Pneumonia and lighting strikes I have read.

if you use salted pork, DO NOT add salt. Stock? if unsalted, sure! More flavor!

Here locally an oldfashioned dish is a (salt) pork tail and peas soup ( but are a type of beans actually).
also Salt Beef and Peas ( Beans!)

Lovely food. none of this "foam", edible flowers and such.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yeah, hog jowl = cheeks. Sliced it resembles streaky bacon but with a bit more fat.

One of the best cuts!

I love a half pork head, well boiled in salted water with black pepper corns.
To be eaten with Horse Radish, Mustard and dark Rye Bread .

A Czech peasant food called 'Ovar".

I am a peasant under the polished surface.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Molasses has been around since there was rum.
It doesn't go off at room temperature so a useful condiment for beans and on hot skillet corn bread.

Bush's brand baked beans in molasses suits me fine. The Tabasco corn bread recipe & molasses is a filler.
I soft-fried half a dozen strips of thick cut bacon, diced them and threw them in one time. Waste of bacon.

My mother had a bean pot set = bigger ceramic pot, 2, maybe 3, liters. At least 8 individual pots of 500ml each.
Everything long gone with her and the bean recipe.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, it is a bi product of sugar manufacture.
Used (and still used) to make some rums.
But did they use it in cooking, herding the cattle to the nearest railway junction or (in the beginning) large town like Chicago?

I miss the British Baked Beans. The US versions are too sweet for my palate ( and the poor old Pancreas...)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Molasses has a relatively low sugar content, it's the bottom of the centrifuges after the sugar has been crystallized and removed.
In this day and time, it's useful for rum flavoring as different cane fields have different tastes, like vineyards.

Lots of the Texas, etc., cattle drives were headed for the Kansas stockyards and the rail head. Then north to Chicago.

I don't need to eat enough beans to perfect a recipe. True, I'd like to be in charge of the sugar.
I do like garlic and serious meat chunks in mine.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I would not say it is used as a flavouring. They add water and yeast, then ferment, distill.

But the best Ron comes from Bolivia and is made from cane juice, not a byproduct after sugar making.......
Zacapa.
'nuff said......... :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Of course. There's rum and then there's rum. Same with sherry. Same with olive oil.
Just like BC wines where some of it is aged in the bus. Fresh cane juice is heaven.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes, it is a bi product of sugar manufacture.
Used (and still used) to make some rums.
But did they use it in cooking, herding the cattle to the nearest railway junction or (in the beginning) large town like Chicago?...

Actually I doubt the cowboys ever used it. That said, it's use in beans would probably predate the cowboys. Think Boston Baked Beans. The Puritans in Boston perfected baked beans (and both rum and molasses were common on the East Coast since before the Revolutionary War) They would prepare the beans on Saturday evening and put them on the fire to cook overnight so they wouldn't have to work (cook) on Sunday.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks Santaman. You wouldn't happen to have a copy of that Boston Baked Beans recipe up your sleeve?

Then there was the molasses tsunami in Chicago of January 15, 1919. The tank burst at the Industrial Alcohol company
and spilled 9 million liters of molasses. 25' deep tsunami, racing down the streets at 35 mph. 11 killed 50 injured.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Janne, almost but not quite. Molasses has been a sacred ingredient for centuries.
Once the Spaniards got cane from the Moors and got it going in South/Central America,
it was the BIG DEAL until the European plant breeders built the sugar beet.
That might have pushed the Spaniards into a corner but they found vanilla, potatoes, cacao and tobacco.

I got a 50-60 yr old Boston Baked Bean recipe that I'll try. All the condiments clicked in my head as I might expect.
Need to shop tomorrow anyway. The city stinks. I want to go home. Took on 160 liters motion lotion for my thirsty Burb.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE