Pork scratchings...yes or no?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
@Paul_B No egg yolk near black pudding, "crispy" bacon that can't withstand moisture, and a total failure to see a joke? Dammit, man, are you trying to make a mortal enemy here?! ;)

P.S. In addition to my blind spot for pork scratchings, I also absolutely cannot stand baked beans. There, I've said it. If I'm ostracised, so be it. Talking of which, we used to have locally raised ostrich sausages, and they were nice.
So what's your view on pineapple with your full English breakfast? :lmao:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Good lord, that's horrifying. Only on pizza, you heathen! :rofl:
It was in the news a month or so ago. I'm against it but the story was about an American saying a full English should have pineapple with it. Apparently there's a society for the full English who backed it technically on the grounds of its origins.

Apparently meat for breakfast was a real showing off thing among the wealthy a few hundred years ago. Social status was high if you could give your guests meat and pineapple being a very luxury fruit grown by the wealthy it added to the meat in status. Of course the actual origins of English breakfast would include pork chops, pheasant, fish, etc. Real showing off food!

BTW I'm against pineapple for breakfast too. Not sure I like pineapple at all.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Kind of lost me at an American saying what should be had with a full English, gotta admit. Pineapple with gammon is, of course, still a thing, so not going to argue against that. But in my mind there's a difference between "a full English" and what might have been eaten for breakfast by the English back in the day. So I'd eat pineapple for breakfast, just not with bacon, eggs and the rest.

And British grown pineapples are a thing. Heligan got its pineapple pits productive again, for instance.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
That’s why I suggested hypothetical pineapple fields :)

There was a famous debate in the Times letters column as to whether a fried egg should be included in a mixed grill.

I eat what I like, with whatever else I like, whenever I like and take responsibility for both my enjoyment and my health.
Pork scratchings, black pud, and soft bacon with transparent fat make my world go around.

Reactions: The Frightful

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I went to pick up a few slices of black pudding today, to try the idea of it spread 'raw' on toast.

Unfortunately the butcher had it sliced and in the display with all the other raw meat so I didn't fancy the risk!

Reactions: Robbi

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In the big houses they grew pineapple in the fashionable glasshouses. Something about rotting manure in boxes outside with the heat generated going into cold frames. Apparently they were quite productive. I think they did a bit about it on gardener's world about 20 odd years ago. Something about a head gardener's reintroducing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE