Cheese With Hot Dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do You Have Cheese On A Hot Dog?

• Yes

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well, I don't usually put cheese in but now I'm going to try it! Although it will be good cheese with good sausages and jsut a bit so as not to dominate the flavours...
I feel a BBQ coming on... :beerchug:

Reactions: dwardo

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
And yet, and yet……..

Many of us seem perfectly happy to have cheese on our burgers be they beef, pork or chicken and have they bacon associated! What’s more the cheese in question is often Manta Ray Crap.

@Stew NOW you’re talking! Where you at? I’m arriving!!!!! May I have Cheshire (Shropshire) Blue instead of Stilton unless you know where to find the good stuff.

American hot dogs:-
I’ll take Linda Kozlowski’s advice to Paul Hogan ……..
“You can eat it ………..”
If I’m down to survival I might just open one of those military packs or re-hydrate something before I’d be down to standard hotdogs but even then I’d have to be desperate and somewhere devoid of squirrels.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I live in the part of the country served by Booth's supermarkets. I no longer have to worry about what's in my sausages. They're Booth's sausages, need I say more? Think Waitrose for southerners and city types but the food is good not just over priced! Lol!

Cheese is good with some foods but sausages I doubt it somehow. Your choice though and I don't think anyone can n really criticise if you do because we all have our strange or inappropriate food combinations. One of the worst I've seen is marshmallows with anything especially hot chocolate. If rather have cheese and hotdogs.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I wouldn’t decry marshmallows on this site!! There could be a devotee among us.

Anyway, are we talking survival, social or a bit of fun with the family? If the latter then give the kids what they ask for as long as it’s good food.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ikea used to sell Vegan hotdogs in their take-away bit.
Those were actually quite nice. I think they would be improved with a bit of good rich red cheddar though :)

Reactions: nigelp

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
While we’re on cheese, Sainsbury’s are doing a Shropshire Red Taste the Difference. It’s not a cheese I’ve ever paid attention to, Shropshire, but this stuff is really good. Nutty in a Wookey Hole Cheddar way.

Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Shropshire blue is a favourite. Never had the red - I expect it’s like red Cheshire. I’ll look out for it.

Tell you what I’ll have a hotdog and Shropshire Red, hold the sausage. (Can I say that?)

Last edited:
  • Haha

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Ok I voted yes, mainly because after reading the various points raised here I started to think about the delicious combinations that you could have with some sweated down onions and a nice strong cheddar or even some blue cheese!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I've tried vegetarian sausages and burgers.
They tasted just like pre-chewed cardboard.
Even when I was a vegetarian I couldn't abide them.
Never really got my head around why vegetarian food tries to masquerade as a meat equivalent. If you go to India you'll eat food so gorgeous that the presence or absence of meat is irrelevant and there's no need to make it look like a meat equivalent.
I suppose it's all down to education and experience - here in northern Europe we have pre-conceived, and inescapable, ideas of what food and a meal must look like. Generally, meat shaped. Countries with a history of non-meat eating don't have that baggage.

Reactions: Toddy and Macaroon

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Never really got my head around why vegetarian food tries to masquerade as a meat equivalent. If you go to India you'll eat food so gorgeous that the presence or absence of meat is irrelevant and there's no need to make it look like a meat equivalent.
I suppose it's all down to education and experience - here in northern Europe we have pre-conceived, and inescapable, ideas of what food and a meal must look like. Generally, meat shaped. Countries with a history of non-meat eating don't have that baggage.
Convenience? The majority of the food eaten here is pre-prepared, or highly processed. Staying on the cheese theme (slightly) - I really like paneer coated in spices and fried to a golden brown with my homemade lentil dal.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

I think it's the convenience of a patty shaped thing on a roll/bun.
Mostly the vegan ones are pretty dire, as though they're trying waaaay too hard to be healthy. The occasional treat of a good 'veggie burger or sosige' is worth enjoying.
Something with herbs in it, rosemary, mace, that kind of savoury richness. Not bland and boring or weird.

Each to their own. The little quorn sausage patties are good :) Not so keen on their mozzarella burgers....just chewy lumps somehow.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK

That’s not an easy comparison for those of us who don’t have the experience.
There’s are many foods that can be improved with garlic butter and chives or frying in olive oil, onions and chilli. I count Vegie sausages among them.

Right now I’m in the middle of preparing a meal for a group of us tomorrow. We are Vegie, Gluten free, Dairy Free and two omnivores. Onions, garlic and every sort of bean I can think of are my friends.

Which gives me a thought for next time (Halloween) I’m going to experiment with BBQ’ed dhall and dhall sausages. I can’t offer cheese with them because I only provide what everyone can eat but there are leftovers!!!!!! They might work with cheese.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Is that specifically Hot Dog related as its prime input ? or more an argument / debate regarding the grouping term or a people?? Do you feel its relevant to this topic?

These are all good questions that you may want to ponder in your own time.
The local expat ‘Hare and the Hounds’ UK import ship serves the expat community seeking Bangers, winegums, Digestives etc.
I will reciprocate your cultural indifference
By calling the Scottish owner, Welsh, Orangemen, Isle of Man et al
Anglo Saxon Englishmen with a German King
Ponder THAT on your own time.
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: nigelp

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The local expat ‘Hare and the Hounds’ UK import ship serves the expat community seeking Bangers, winegums, Digestives etc.
I will reciprocate your cultural indifference
By calling the Scottish owner, Welsh, Orangemen, Isle of Man et al
All Anglo Saxon Englishmen .
Cheers
But I wasn't discussing the various different first nation people in a thread relating to First Nation people.
I posted a link to an article that also mentioned the ancient greeks.

But what the main subject matter of the link related to the thread on the same subject matter....

If you want to - I strongly urge you to contact the linked article author and advise them accordingly of you feeling somewhat offended.

Reactions: gg012

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE