• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Good day to you all,

I'm throwing this thread out there in search of top tips regarding the use of a Dutch oven.

I own a petromax FT-3 and love it! I tend to roast pork joints in it and it has certainly proven its metal (pun intended) throughout the years I've had it.

But I always strive to improve and any tips or tricks you all may have learned in your time is most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Good day to you all,

I'm throwing this thread out there in search of top tips regarding the use of a Dutch oven.

I own a petromax FT-3 and love it! I tend to roast pork joints in it and it has certainly proven its metal (pun intended) throughout the years I've had it.

But I always strive to improve and any tips or tricks you all may have learned in your time is most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
If it's been properly cured it's pretty much bomb-proof and you are set for all sorts of cooking.

One thing which doesn't seem to be as common as might be expected, is to use it as a smoker. You'll need an inner bit of mesh to raise the meat from the base; then just put the smoking medium on the base and put it over the heat. It's easy to control it with the lid opening.

I've a dedicated one for this, because it removes the need for cleaning and re-curing; if you don't mind the effort, you can get away with one pot for all.

Reactions: Bencraft87
If it's been properly cured it's pretty much bomb-proof and you are set for all sorts of cooking.

One thing which doesn't seem to be as common as might be expected, is to use it as a smoker. You'll need an inner bit of mesh to raise the meat from the base; then just put the smoking medium on the base and put it over the heat. It's easy to control it with the lid opening.

I've a dedicated one for this, because it removes the need for cleaning and re-curing; if you don't mind the effort, you can get away with one pot for all.
Hadn't considered using it as a smoker! Interesting, thanks!

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've baked bread in a Dutch oven many times. The trick is to put your dough in a baking tin inside the Dutch oven and raise it off the base by an inch or so on 3 pebbles or a bit of mesh. Cooking time is usually longer than in a conventional oven.

I've also steamed bread which mitigates any chance of burning but results in a kind of damp, doughy loaf without a crust. However you can slice and toast this to get a bit of crunch.

Reactions: Bencraft87
I've baked bread in a Dutch oven many times. The trick is to put your dough in a baking tin inside the Dutch oven and raise it off the base by an inch or so on 3 pebbles or a bit of mesh. Cooking time is usually longer than in a conventional oven.

I've also steamed bread which mitigates any chance of burning but results in a kind of damp, doughy loaf without a crust. However you can slice and toast this to get a bit of crunch.
Who doesn't love fresh bread!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE