Cold Steel Bushman

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I was wondering if anyone had a review of this knife? I need a cheap knife for using around our shoot. Something sturdy inexpensive, it could and will be used for digging holes one minute or hacking branches the next, i dont want to go as far as a billhook as it would be abit big for my wee kit bag, and an axe would be to heavy to cart about, a decent sized do it all knife would be more what i'm looking for, anyone have one of these?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was wondering if anyone had a review of this knife? I need a cheap knife for using around our shoot. Something sturdy inexpensive, it could and will be used for digging holes one minute or hacking branches the next, i dont want to go as far as a billhook as it would be abit big for my wee kit bag, and an axe would be to heavy to cart about, a decent sized do it all knife would be more what i'm looking for, anyone have one of these?

Haven't got one, but have used one. It'll certainly do all of those jobs you had in mind for it.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
army issue survival knife, low cost thick blade and squaddy proof........lol......

cost about £30 last time i looked, have an internet search and you should find one there......

regards.

chris.......................

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
British Red did a personal view appraisal of several knives a few years back including a Cold Steel Bushman, Which I bought from him, a copy can probably be found by googling "What knife British Red"

Wings

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
It will do the job - just not the best looking knife. I would second Lannyman on the Mod issue one. I got mine secondhand and it lasted me a fair while (It should be noted that I am good at breaking things which I have not made!) You could always go for a nice pukko or a camp knife. As usual I am swift to praise the Gerber big rock (with plain edge) - for only £30 not a bad knife.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Perhaps not the best knife for cold wet winter days if you ask me. Cold & slippy handle I'd imagine.

A wooden or plastic handle would be more comfortable. The MOD for me is too heavy for brush cutting but would be good on larger saplings & branches - it will sure dig holes lol & likely pry the turret off a T32 as well.

Perhaps a Martindale or Tramontina may be worth a look - you can shape the handles to your preference with a rasp etc. The edges usually need a bit of work too though.

Last edited:

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
likely pry the turret off a T32 as well.

Do you know how it fares against the T72? Which reminds me - the ex-Russian issue knife is a goodun too. I think it was the NR-40? Could be wrong, met a fella that carried an old one a couple of years ago - seemed to withstand the abuse I gave it.

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That knife is favored by Chris Nyerges. I remember reading an article by him many years ago where he used that knife to split a tree lengthwise to make a bow stave. Seemed like the perfect knife for the job.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
For the money I think the Cold Steel Bushman is great value, and has a interesting minimalist look. I have owned one for about 3 years and it's surprisingly versatile. I use it on outback motorcycle trips as a camp knife.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I got a Bushman earlier this year, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I've only heard good things about it as a cheap and tough camp knife.

As far as the handle goes, I wrapped the ubiquitous paracord around it, but bicycle inner tube would be good too.

Try the Cold Steel forum for more (probably favourable) info.

Claudiasboris

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I have one, and I have a bicycle inner tube over the handle, works fine for me. I 've found it a nice knife to use.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
They do rock. Almost bombproof.

Like the inner tube idea, because the handle could use some help, or wear gloves. If you use paracord it tends not to fit in the sheath any more.

Also they need to do a left hand version, because think it would give you nightmares if you are left handed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE