Cold Steel Bushman

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Good question Minotaur. I think that I got the wrapping instructions from the Cold Steel forum and just copied from there. Just a minute, I'll check...

Found it!

http://coldsteelforums.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=8203&mpage=1#8203

It was pretty simple to do, even with my poor skills. The paracord grips the nylon of the sheath a lot better than the cold steel (sorry! Couldn't resist). It does stretch the sheath a little, but grips to it and you've got a spare load of paracord.

Claudiasboris

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Got my Bushman recently. Tried it out in the jungle and it is okay. Probably more of a backup knife rather than a main walking knife. A parang would probably be more useful to cut through the jungle.
As a spear head, I think the bushman is spot on :)

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
I'm a fan of the Cold Steel Bushman. It's extraordinary value for the outlay, and it's a lot lighter to carry than a small axe; I can baton with mine happily, in the knowledge that it didn't cost a load of money, if it breaks. For clearing undergrowth, it can also act as a small machete, if I mount it on a small stick.

Instead of paracord-wrapping it (I have small hands), I used amalgamating tape (it's like a a self-adhesive rubber-tape) to make the handle more grippy. Works great. The hollow handle is actually the perfect size to shove a ferrous-rod (with the plastic holder) in - it holds fine with friction.

Downsides? It's a big knife, and isn't the most discreet piece of kit. Edge-holding is pretty decent - it's no Spyderco, but it's not bad at all, and easy enough to sharpen. But the biggest downside is that it comes with the crappiest nylon sheath EVER. So I ended up making a leather sheath (adapting one of the cheapo kits from Heinnie):

c097654c0a5411e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
The CS Bushman is great for the money. Want grip? Wrap the handle with hockey tape.
It's inexpensive and tough as nails. My son spent many hours throwing one with a handle as a spear.
I have an old one so can't comment on the new ones which are made in China, but if they are close to being as tough as the old ones then it'll stand up fine.

Doh, ancient thread, looked too late:)

Last edited:
M

mikeymike

Did anyone find anywhere in the UK to get one of these knives?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
get one here mate, brilliant service. http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Cold-Steel-Knives/Fixed-Blade/Cold-Steel-Bushman/p-92-127-973-4586/

I've had a cold steel bushman for some time now and really like it. It's light weight, tough and cheap.

The blade holds a nice edge and is easy to sharpen and won't break when battoning, throwing or spearing into an object.
It may look big and clumsy but it's easily capable of delicate work, I've carved pegs, spoons, notchs and chopped up dinner with it with no problems.

It's hollow handle can indeed fold a ferro rod with a plastic grip in good and snug or any other rolled up wee survival kit.

The sheath may be nothing fancy but it is sturdy enough an has a large pouch on the front for a sharpening stone or fishing kit etc, pouches shoyuld be on more sheath in my opinion!

Alot of people will mention the slippy handle, and they are right. if you hit a brach with the knife in abre hands it will turn in your grip upon impact and not be very effective unless you have gloves on. I used 40mm 2.1 heat shrink tubing on my handle for a perfect fit and rubberised texture, but inner tube will be just fine.

With a stick or pole in the handle to have an excellend bush clearing tool, like a machete or a fully functioning spear! ;)

It's made of sk5 spring steel with a low temper and that allows it to be super tough and easy to sharpen, perfect for a camp knife.

The only downsides to the knife in my eyes are.. it's extra size and blackened blade could look intimidating to some and because it's so light weight it suffers abit in the chopping department untill you slip a wooden stick in its backside and get that extra length to your advantage!

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

Bushman1.jpg

I think it's great and coupled with a folding saw you can do it all!

I hope this mini review helps some, if not I'll do a proper one some time.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Liking the sheath Jeff, well done!

I too have the Bushman, and although I haven't really used it much, it does seem good value for money. Ok, so the sheath isn't great, but then I'm quite happy to pay £27 for a good value for money knife. Fancied the Bowie style but Heinnie's didn't have it, so ended up with the normal one. I've yet to do the handle. I was going to put an MTB bar end cover on there, which is foam and rubber, but might just go with the inner tube instead.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I'm in the process of fitting my large Bushman to a 22 inch hardwood tool handle. I plan to keep it disassembled in the trunk of the car. It's a shame they stopped production of the mini-bushman, it is a far more useful sized knife and still makes quite a spear point if needed.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
hola mac, long time no see!

a couple of folks have mentioned the stick addition. it's probably just my hamfistia, but i never managed to make a bushman on a stick chopper work for any length of time, i always ended up holding the stumpy end of a stick whilst the bushman went flying and spinning off erratically at very high speed! :eek: be very very careful!

bushman as a spear, no trouble at all.

pete, no, the "economy sized leuko" started life as a 12"ontario, shorter, thicker & heavier than the tram, and about 5 times the price.

cheers, and.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Sharpened stick in the handle with a nail keeps it more than secure. I found just ramming the stick in and spearing took 20 minutes work to remove it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE