Cold callers!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
the best way is to tell them you are on the telepone preference service list they will then hang up on YOU lol. Seriously if your on that list its ILLEGAL to call you and they face a huge fine and even the company being wound up from what i'm told!

Thanks Dave

What the man said - sound really interested - ask for a few details, name and address of company, name of managing director, name of caller, then tell them you are reporting them for calling a number registered with the TPS ....

Alternatively, tell them you are putting them on "hold"......

NS

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
does the tps work for the automated callers?

With Respect to door callers, I have on two occasions(and I do not recomend this) reacted in a very agressive manner, when i have tried to close the door and they've tried to hold it open, charging out the door shouting and forcing them back, and asking why the're trying to get in my house. but i'm a very grumpy man, and don't like pizza.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
when they ask for Mr. or Mrs. so-and-so i just say, i'm very sorry but they died yesterday, can i help you ?......listen to them splutter !! LOL

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
About the pushiest chap i had was a sales rep for sky, now working for an ISP i know they just hire these guys through agencies but he was supposed to be teaching 4 other young sales bods the ropes.
so he says he's from sky and he'd like to swap me from cable to them. including of course broadband, phone and tv.

"i don't have a bt phone line" i tell him, but undeterred he continues to tell me i don't need one (i guess bt use clairvoyants now for bb) i asked how this was possible, did sky run their own fiber cable now and why didn't i see them digging up the road or is it local loop unbundling from BT (LLU) and have they bought space in the local exchange?
suffice to say his answer was "yes".
not going well for him... "ok" i says "do you know what local loop unbundling is?" at which point he goes red, he's no idea.
he tries a different tac saying that sky can provide all my services cheaper then cable.
"even my 20mb broadband?"
"That too!" he says.
Not so fast pally boy... see my local phone system is actually a boosted ring arrangement, my exchange is 2 miles away and the entirety of the 3 estates in this area all run off this boosted copper ring. which means the fastest broadband in the area will litterally be about 2mb perhaps 3 on a lazy sunday morning if it isn't raining, there's a full moon and the bones land in the right way...
i proceed to tell him so.
at which point he does an about face and drags off the 'noobs'.

for those who don't know LLU (local loop unbundling) is where your ISP buys sections of your phone exchange so they no longer have to pay subs to bt for your custom (makes your bills cheaper) however as its all old pants bt copper networks it doesn't do much for the speed.

i LOVE BT salesmen they're such easy targets...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I find placing the end of my bo on their foot and leaning with all my considerable weight helpful.

that or the axe by the door.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
On the phone, I just say "No!" and hang up. At the door, I just say "No!" and close the door. For the pushy ones, I say "Walk away NOW! while you still have your teeth". It generally works.
For the Jehova's Witnesses and the like, I thank them for their interest in my spiritual welfare then assure them that I have a perfectly good belief system already. Then I shut the door.

Eric

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
I love the Jehova's but unfortunately they no longer knock on my door , fairly sure I've turned a few of them .
Door to door people I find myself more and more having to resort to " Stop , YOU ARE REALLY STARTING ANNOY ME NOW " which works but doesn't stop there mates coming back . If my partner has answered the door I tend to burst past her screaming " IS THIS HIM , IS IT , I KNEW I'D CATCH YOU " they tend to run off at that .
Next time I get a phone call ( instead of walking away ) I think I'll start singing , possibly a shanty .
Cheers , Trev .

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can always ask them what their favourite cheese is, then proceed to tell them about yours and your experience with all kinds of cheese. Not done it myself, but I once witnessed a mate do it and it was hilarious.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A friend of mine burst into a local religious HQ during a ceremony. She proceeded to introudce herself to every member of the congregation (during the sermon) and then walked up to the lectern.

Excuse me, but tonight, for my tea, I am having cottage pie, chips and peas washed down with a bottle of Tanglefoot. I may make some gravy.

Now my tea, is about as relevant to your f******* religious beliefs as your religious beliefs are to my tea.

In future every time your beliefs invade the privacy of my evenig meal, I will invade your religious beliefs with details of the meal you chose to distrub.

Entirely your call - but I tell you now, my neighbours will join me - at one minute intervals. We live in xxxxxx street

She was never troubled again

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
My JR terrier has put many a door cold caller to flight, quite hilarious sometimes. Not that he is aggressive but he does have a tendency to hump legs now and then.

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
i worked as a doorman for 4 years so i usually just tell them they r boring me now and better go away... accompanied by a firm stare... that always does the trick... he he

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE