Cold callers!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
How do you get rid of them,i know they are only doing their job but when i told them i was not interested in what they were selling (Talk Talk) internet they kept on and on ,so after about the fifth time of asking and me telling them it's not them but the company i did not want to deal with,off he went again with the spiel. So how do you get rid of them without losing your temper?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
What's wrong with losing your temper.

They are wasting your time, not listening to what you are saying and being a pain in the bottom.

So what if it's the only job they can get, they are not showing you any courtesy so they have waived their right to any in return.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
the best way is to tell them you are on the telepone preference service list they will then hang up on YOU lol

Seriously if your on that list its ILLEGAL to call you and they face a huge fine and even the company being wound up from what i'm told!

Thanks Dave

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
If they really are not listening to me saying I'm not interested, I hang up/shut the door. However, I've recently started a new sport. They get paid per customer that signs up- that's why they are so insistent. If I've the time I let them drone on, throwing a few Qs into the equation. The longest I've managed is 33 mins so far (at the door). In the end they asked me directly "Shall we do the paperwork then?" I replied, "No, I told you at the start I wasn't interested" Their face was a picture.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
You could say "Your business is improtant to me, please hold" and play some music at them. Return every once and a while to see if they are still there, repeat as required. I usually just say "No thanks", and hang up. The TPS should prevent most 'honest' cold callers, however having worked for one or two dodgy tele sales in the past, they don't even check. One company I worked for got fined a couple of times - I think it was a massive £50 per call the person received.

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
Well it was door to door,and next time i won't be so polite.

As for the phone calls i was told to keep pressing the star button and it would cut them off, and get your phone number deleted from their list.(but i don't know if this method works).

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
At the door - just say no thanks and shut the door. I've only had one try to keep it open & he soon got the hint when I threatened to trap his fingers in the door!

On the phone, I tend to put it on hands free and place it near the radio. I once had a guy on for several minutes "hello, are you there...can you hear me".

I now pay for the service of anonymous call barring - it's much quieter theses days:D

Simon

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Well it was door to door,and next time i won't be so polite.

As for the phone calls i was told to keep pressing the star button and it would cut them off, and get your phone number deleted from their list.(but i don't know if this method works).

Sounds like an urban myth story, but you never know. For door to door, I'd just close the door. Maybe put a sign on your door, saying any cold callers or hawkers will be killed, gutted, and made into various items?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As a Nightworker I had the following sign made up and its Hung on my front door.

NIGHT WORKER ASLEEP

ONLY CALL IF YOU ARE EXPECTED OR DELIVERING A PACKAGE OR LETTERS

SO , NO THANKS TO ;

A) POLITICS
B) RELIGION
C) SALES
D) EVERYTHING ELSE

YOU RISK MY WRATH IF YOU IGNORE THE ABOVE.

Needless to say , never had an issue since...apart from the ######### seagulls.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
As a Nightworker I had the following sign made up and its Hung on my front door.

NIGHT WORKER ASLEEP

ONLY CALL IF YOU ARE EXPECTED OR DELIVERING A PACKAGE OR LETTERS

SO , NO THANKS TO ;

A) POLITICS
B) RELIGION
C) SALES
D) EVERYTHING ELSE

YOU RISK MY WRATH IF YOU IGNORE THE ABOVE.

Needless to say , never had an issue since...apart from the ######### seagulls.

That's pretty good, I tend to just say "yes" to everything they say If I want to irritate them, until it gets to the point where they say "what are your payment details"
"Yes"
"No, what actually are the details"
"Yes"
"Sir I need your bank details"
long pause
"yes"

it gets quite fun!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've reached the stage of icy politeness, even if they are being obnoxiously rude.
I simply say, "I'm not interested, good day." and hang up.
Closing the door in someones face feels so incredilby uncomfortable, but they don't want to listen, they want to talk. The only way to shut them up is to let them talk to the door.
I was ready to phone the police last week over a group of them though. In the area fixing a neighbours roof round the corner....yeah right :rolleyes: and had no intention of even leaving my garden after I'd said no. Aggressively pushy and a hairsbreadth from threatening. :(

Toddy

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
That's pretty good, I tend to just say "yes" to everything they say If I want to irritate them, until it gets to the point where they say "what are your payment details"
"Yes"
"No, what actually are the details"
"Yes"
"Sir I need your bank details"
long pause
"yes"

it gets quite fun!
Now that does sound fun,may try that one next time.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
In the past I've asked them for their PIN number. When asked what it is, I tell them that they have reached a secure line and to proceed further they need their PIN number issued from the Home Office. They get scared quite quickly.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Most of them have a hard time pronouncing my surname so when they keep trying I say "no sorry he doesn't live here anymore."

My brother does a great Norman Collier impression which usually gets rid of them.

Ask them if they've ever heard the most annoying sound in the world then when they say no either hang up or whistle really loudly into the phone.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Ask them if they read the bible, quote shakespeare, say that you would like a 12inch pizza, repeat everything they say to you back to them, ask them to keep repeating what they are saying, tell them that their call is being recorded for training purposes, tell them about how your lover left you tonight and that you need someone to have a good long conversation with, tell them that you have another company selling the same thing as them on the other line and say that they are offering cheaper prices then them....or you can just say that you do not want their business )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE