Cold callers!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
For Calls I normally just say "Not now thanks" and hang up, as for the door unless they swim across the loch or walk the 7+ miles to my door its not happening, that said if some one did I would at least give them a cuppa (to drink outside)

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I've found that what is best for me is that as soon as I become aware that it is a telephone sales call I hang up. I don't say anything just put the phone down and carry on with what I am doing. I find that works best for me as it doesn't waste my time nor get me wound up. Also I never answer the phone if I am doing something more important (like eating!).

What really annoys me are the chuggers (charity fundraisers) in the high street. They usually keep out of my way, but if they do try and stop me I say "No thanks" and keep going, but they often then try and come back at you, so they get a "i'm going to rip your head off stare" and no more words. But I usually find the secret is to keep walking. Now don't even get me started on time share touts abroad!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I ask for their name, then ask how long they've been working there and whether they enjoy their job.
Just keep engaging in idle chat before explaining to them how lonely I am and tell them all my (fake) problems, then ask them 'Did you phone me or did I phone you?' before saying 'Thanks for the chat, I don't get to talk to people very often' and hanging up.

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
I ask for their name, then ask how long they've been working there and whether they enjoy their job.
Just keep engaging in idle chat before explaining to them how lonely I am and tell them all my (fake) problems, then ask them 'Did you phone me or did I phone you?' before saying 'Thanks for the chat, I don't get to talk to people very often' and hanging up.

I do that as well, it can be funny if you can keep it going.

Another method is that sometimes my 4 year old daughter will rush to answer the phone and keeps asking them their name, very cute and usually puts them off.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Oh the charity callers...
seriously they knock on your door and you say, sorry but i don't have any money to give. the response is always "we're not asking for money"
AH... You're after blood now then?

not sure why they try that tactic tbh?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If you get a Jehovas witness at the door just tell them that you're a Jehovas bystander - you believe in a higher power but don't want to get involved.

If you get a Jehovas witness at the door just tell them that you're a Jehovas bystander - you believe in a higher power but don't want to get involved.

Very good!

Last lot I had didn't know where to look when I told them that I had logged on to U-Pray.com, the all new religion comparison site and they didn't rank very highly in terms of quality of afterlife so unfortunately I'm not interested.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Answering the door with an axe in your hand tends to do it ;) Then when they see it try to hide it behind the door and ask them if they want to pop in for a chat. IF they make it that far then ask them to stand on a polathene sheet you just got out from the shed. Works well.
On the blower just ask them to hang on 2 secs whilst you get the door and leave them on the line whilst you go about your day.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
speaking of jahovas a mate of mine has come up with the best way to get rid of them i have ever heard!!

they called he answered and said that sounds great but can you come back in about 10 minutes i'm half way through *Censored* they have never been back and that was 4 years ago lol

Dave

Last edited:

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I'm registered with TPS so don't get many calls, the ones I do i pass the phone to the dog. Sales men at the door get "no thanks" and the door shut. Pushy ones I threaten to let the dog out.

Its the "free mail" that bugs me. Loads of leaflets and tat even though there is a message on the letter box asking them not to post crap. One guy continued to deliver the free local paper though, that was until I threw it at him in the middle of the street and told him where I would "post it" if he tried to deliver it again, he never bothered me again.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Its the "free mail" that bugs me.

Best method for this?
Most have a pre-paid envelope with them and it will only cost them money if it is returned to them.
Get a nice stash of these envelopes and fill them with takeaway menus, coupons, a child's drawing, anything that takes your fancy and post it off to them.
If everyone did this it would start costing them money and they'd soon get the hint.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Most have a pre-paid envelope with them and it will only cost them money if it is returned to them.

Nearly thirty years ago, my partner and I split up. She left to live elsewhere.

She'd always taken Kay's catalogue. They kept sending it, so I wrote to them saying that Miss X didn't live here any more so would they please take her off their mailing list. Instead, they made up a wife for me (never had one of those) and started sending the catalogues to "Mrs Haywood". After I'd tried several times to tell them that there was no Mrs. Haywood it was clear that they weren't interested.

I was building a house at the time. So one day I took a damaged engineering brick, they're the heavy ones, and I wrapped it up in brown paper. I sellotaped one of their first class return envelopes to it with a note in it saying that if they wanted any more building materials delivered to their desk, like for example a couple of dozen broken roof tiles or half a hundredweight of wet finish plaster, all they had to do was leave my name on their mailing list.

Never heard from them again. :)

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Last lot I had didn't know where to look when I told them that I had logged on to U-Pray.com, the all new religion comparison site and they didn't rank very highly in terms of quality of afterlife so unfortunately I'm not interested.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely love this!

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I'd love to try this one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33BCEPMGggU&feature=fvw.
Happy trails...torc.

Yeah I posted that earlier in the thread, it's classic!

Thing is I'm disinclined to be too rude (although they do occasionally catch me at a bad time) because I realize that sometimes it's just people my age who are doing their job. One of my mates is a great, really friendly but not very clever. He failed all his GCSE's and the only job he can get is as a telemarketer, he hates it but for the moment that's all he can get job wise. I don't want to make someone else like that have a worse day than they probably already are :vio:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's three of them been to the house tonight, the next one's going to get bopped.

If I wanted to change my energy supplier I'd ring up and do it.

If I wanted to insure my water pipes then I'd ring up and do it.

If I wanted to donate just 28p a day to a charity I'd ring up and do it.

The sales people I don't mind telling where to go but the charity ones are a nightmare. Talk about making you feel like turd.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Best method for this?
Get a nice stash of these envelopes and fill them with takeaway menus, coupons, a child's drawing, anything that takes your fancy and post it off to them.
If everyone did this it would start costing them money and they'd soon get the hint.

I've been doing this for years but the stuff keeps coming! Clearly time to orchestrate a campaign!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE