Jerusalem Artichoke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
Grown Jerusalem Artichokes for the last few years and I get a decent harvest but not overly keen on the taste, at the moment I'm debating whether to grow them again this year. Anyone else grown them and if so how do you cook them ?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like them. They roast well and are easy to grow. John Seymour grew them as pig fodder, leaving them in the ground & letting the pigs root for them.

Reactions: Jonno70

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
Makes sense for pig fodder. I wouldnt want to be anywhere near them though after eating if it has the same effect on pigs as it has on me. Easy crop to grow as well any tubers left in the ground will produce the following season.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a good vegetarian, and even I think John Seymour had the right of it with these.

Roasted veg is always tasty, but like Chicken of the Woods, oh the wind ! the wind is sore.

Each to their own, but there are a lot of root vegetable to try :)
I'm going to give Skirrets a go :)

Reactions: Jonno70

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
I'm a good vegetarian, and even I think John Seymour had the right of it with these.

Roasted veg is always tasty, but like Chicken of the Woods, oh the wind ! the wind is sore.

I'm going to give Skirrets a go

I'm going to give Skirrets a go :)

i would like to give Skirrets a go, where did you buy them ? When I first bought my J Artichokes I was shocked at the costs considering how easy they are to grow.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The secret is to plant them in a woodland setting and the deer eat the plants so no tubers are produced for you!

Actually I don't mind them. As said, added to soups or stews in moderation they are ok and not too bad in the breeze department. A couple added to a tray of roasted veg or a few mixed in with potatoes in a dauphinoise are fine.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I thought you were referring to globes when you mentioned the fancy sauce. But you did remind me to get some seeds to them as I quite like them with a little butter.

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Jerusalem artichokes tend to spread a bit if you're not careful in getting all the tubers out. One patch of my Dad's old garden got a bit overrun. Plus I think that was one of the things he got told not to eat by the docs. He gave up trying to grow anything else in that patch, just concentrated on stopping the spread.

I can't eat them or parsnips or cauliflowers. For a very good reason, not an inflated excuse not to eat my vegetables! LOL!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE