Coffee in the bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Hi folks!

I´m a coffee fan and like to brew a fresh one when I´m out in the bush.
My question is how you transport it and which type you use?

I wanna make some leather draw string pouch which have a plastic zipper bag in it.
The pouches are finished now and I´m wondering, that I cant find a fitting plastic zipper bag.
Have a look around and can only find some 1 liter bags (which is too big for the job).

I also wanna know which type of coffee you prefer when you´re out.
the "normal" coffee which you have to use with a filter or the one who is sulubly and you only have to mix up with water?
Do you use coffee filter as well or only the solubly powder?

Also thinking of making 3 leather pouches:
one for the coffee itself
one for the powderd milk
one for the sugar
What do you think about that and how do you do?

Pics of your eqipment are very welcome!

thx
cheers
Mike

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Nestle Coffee and Milk for me....

img

Warm and wet....and not bad cold with a bit of snow for a sort of bush frappachino..:):)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dear Gods I don't know whats in that tube but it isn't coffee!

My trivial brew kit (including the freshly roasted beans in the skillet)

pot1gx6.jpg

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
While i'm a huge fan of "proper" coffee, carrying all that parafinalia into the woods or on a 20 mile yomp is a pain in the bum!
When you're cold, wet and miserable, any hot caffiene goes down a treat. :pokenest:

Those caetierre mugs look the biz though cheers for the link.
I found something in Lakeland that was a coffee press but fitted ontot he side of your mug, unfortunately the buggers sold out when i went back to get one :(

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Nestle Coffee and Milk for me....

img

Warm and wet....and not bad cold with a bit of snow for a sort of bush frappachino..:):)

Ive got some of that from Australia, they dont sell it in the UK tho, i called to find out if they did but the marketing team said it wasnt viable to sell in the UK!! :( that was a couple of years ago before someone googles me wrong :rolleyes: however there was a company who imported it that Bambodoggy got some for us through, its bloody nice stuff and handy to carry/store/and use if you dont want to go down the other coffee routes...

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Ah well - the individual brew kit being the inside bit of a smartcafe mug that stores nicely inside the Liveventure Ti mug (so it can stay warm next to the fire).

For groups or camps, then brew it in a pot, and pour into mugs through a piece of muslin or filter paper in a tatonka collapsable coffee filter holder thing (or you can make a nice filter holder using mni-withies, will get some pics next time im out).

Use various blends from the local coffee roasters in Dundee and then sweeten with brown sugar (cubes make this so much easier in the woods).

IMHO the instant stuff deserves no place in this world. I would rather go without.

/end coffee snobery.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Try Starbucks new instant coffee, Via. Generally instant coffee disgusts me. I can't even stand the smell of it. Via is a whole new breed of instant.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Try Starbucks new instant coffee, Via. Generally instant coffee disgusts me. I can't even stand the smell of it. Via is a whole new breed of instant.

I've only just started seeing it over here H, might try some when i've saved enough money up to go into Starbucks, lol:D

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I use Kenco in plastic tube shaped sachets that come with sweetener and whitener. Small, light and easy when you're tired or only just awake.

Have a look at this link. They are neat little insulated filter mugs for real cofee or real tea leaves. Please not tea bags are not that environmental but the tea leaves in it are so take real tea if you take tea at all.

http://www.outdoorsgrub.co.uk/pi_smartcafe.php

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It seems this mug is what others have recommended from ebay. I'd get it from the site I posted as it is a good little company. I've bought loads from them without any problems. The guy posts a lot on another outdoors website forum and was a regular character before he set up his company. It pays to support these people especially if they offer a good service not really found elsewhere quite as good. Me and my mates do a group buy to get free carriage and any discounts for bulk orders. They also have an expedition food site for people buying a lot say for a trip round the world sea trip or up the amazon.

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
Is there anything better on a trip than greeting the day with a cup of freshly brewed pure coffee?
With its famous uncompromising quality Snow Peak has conjured up this titanium coffee press.
The water heated directly in the coffee press, then you put the ground coffee in and put the lid on.
After about 3 or 4 minutes you push the knob down slowly and you can enjoy
the freshly brewed outdoor coffee just as slowly and appreciatively.
Weight: 179 g
:red::red:

http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/...=7773&osCsid=f7bee4ce1d0033f67371b753be4c9a75

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE