Coffee in the bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Danny - that stove is like a piece of deco architecture! I feel Teddy requires a smoking jacket to be around it!

My girlfriend is French and all beverages at hers are made with an, all metal, stove top, espresso pot (she doesn't own a kettle! which was seriously disconcerting to an Englishman like me!). The pot sits nicely on my bushbuddy stove when we're out in Fontainebleau forest - loaded with Carte Noir Espresso (although I prefer Illy).
However - stove top espresso pots never produce a real espresso (with crema) so I gained some real kudos with a couple of (expensive) purchases - first this:

http://www.handpresso.fr/index.html (Also sold in the excellent Lakeland bushcraft store - no connection - blah!)

Makes a true espresso - but what to serve them in? I purchased a couple of espresso sized kuksas from cloudberrymarket.com (who don't appear to sell them anymore - after half an hours frantic searching for the web link!). Anyway - our party piece now is to serve up some real espresso whilst out on a hike - or from the boot of the car using the bushbuddy and a 1 ltr tatonka billy.

Sorry no pics, but I've just got back from La Belle France having put another 600 miles on the bike and it's an early start tomorrow!

Red - love the "coffee snob" (or afficianado, I'm sure you would insist!) posts - keep them coming!

Danny - I also own a Borde Bomb (I'm surprised Rik didn't leap on this as he will have knowledge of this stove). Mine is, as yet unused, boxed and in a drawer - but my girlfriend and I are planning a motorbike Tour de France this summer (actually in about two weeks now!) and I'm thinking about taking it along as a back up - how does it perform for you?

Fin

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Danny - that stove is like a piece of deco architecture! I feel Teddy requires a smoking jacket to be around it!
Be careful Red
Crushersmokingjacket-1.jpg

you'll have mistur Brown kicking off next
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57725
Just to keep Mike's (Survivalmike) thread on track I've just received two superb buckskin pouches from mikeE the small ones become my flint,steel,tinder and sulphur matches companion while I'm aiming to make the larger one for brew kit, tea,coffee,cocoa,sugar never use cow juice (milk) in brews. cheers Danny

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
aaaah now thats far more the thing master Edward

Reminds me of the last words of Oscar Wilde

"My dear......either this wallpaper goes...or I do"

Style is never out of fashion!

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Danny - I also own a Borde Bomb. Mine is, as yet unused, boxed and in a drawer - but my girlfriend and I are planning a motorbike Tour de France this summer (actually in about two weeks now!) and I'm thinking about taking it along as a back up - how does it perform for you? Fin
Hi Fin it performs very well and I take it out for a quick brew quite often and as a back up it should be great, might be too much to full time cook for two on it though.It will run on petrol, but it's smoky with black smuts I run mine on "Panel Wipe" though you could run it on the tins of lighter fuel I use the empty tins as fuel cans for meths and panel wipe as they have a handy sealing spout Link to lighter fluid tin. My method of lighting it is :-
open the back filler screw to let air into the tank while checking there's fuel in then close
open the control burner star and tip stove (burner down) until fuel drips out of nozzle close burner star
place stove level and play lit cooks blow torch blow torch over coils just opening the burner star a little. when it lights, blue flame, keep blow torch on coils and open star with (separate) adjusting rod until burning well remove blow torch. You'll find it gets really hot running (and roars like a good un) and you'll have to turn the flame down after a while to maintain a good flame pattern. You can't touch the tank it's that hot but thats why it self pressurizes :yikes:, to turn off just screw the burner star down (it will simmer at this) till it goes out then allow to cool which takes awhile.
All this may sound complicated but when you've done it a few times it becomes 2nd. nature. Better to practice before you go though. I suppose you could use a jet flame lighter to light though I never have. It really takes a nack to light it the instructions way of lighting the dripping out petrol :yikes::campfire: until it warms up enough. I do use mine often and wouldn't part and have even played making a couple of "Stesco" clone coil burners in the shed
cheers to Mike for taking off thread Danny

Hi Fin it performs very well and I take it out for a quick brew quite often and as a back up it should be great, might be too much to full time cook for two on it though.It will run on petrol, but it's smoky with black smuts I run mine on "Panel Wipe" though you could run it on the tins of lighter fuel I use the empty tins as fuel cans for meths and panel wipe as they have a handy sealing spout Link to lighter fluid tin. My method of lighting it is :-
open the back filler screw to let air into the tank while checking there's fuel in then close
open the control burner star and tip stove (burner down) until fuel drips out of nozzle close burner star
place stove level and play lit cooks blow torch blow torch over coils just opening the burner star a little. when it lights, blue flame, keep blow torch on coils and open star with (separate) adjusting rod until burning well remove blow torch. You'll find it gets really hot running (and roars like a good un) and you'll have to turn the flame down after a while to maintain a good flame pattern. You can't touch the tank it's that hot but thats why it self pressurizes :yikes:, to turn off just screw the burner star down (it will simmer at this) till it goes out then allow to cool which takes awhile.
All this may sound complicated but when you've done it a few times it becomes 2nd. nature. Better to practice before you go though. I suppose you could use a jet flame lighter to light though I never have. It really takes a nack to light it the instructions way of lighting the dripping out petrol :yikes::campfire: until it warms up enough. I do use mine often and wouldn't part and have even played making a couple of "Stesco" clone coil burners in the shed
cheers to Mike for taking off thread Danny

Cheers Danny - good info - love the tip for using empty lighter fuel tins as panel wipe/ Coleman fuel dispensers. I'll do some test firings of the stove this week - based on your instructions and see how it goes - I have a small compartment in my motorbike luggage that seems made for it!

Fin

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Cheers Danny - good info - love the tip for using empty lighter fuel tins as panel wipe/ Coleman fuel dispensers. I'll do some test firings of the stove this week - based on your instructions and see how it goes - I have a small compartment in my motorbike luggage that seems made for it!

Fin
Hi Fin this is going to :pokenest: but lighter fuel isn't far off Coleman fuel just loads cheaper so I actually meant to buy lighter fuel tins from the local tobacconists shops as you travel round and use it in the stove then your not carrying weight on the bike. You can of course save the empty tins. Don't forget the "Peacock" type hand warmers run on lighter fuel and I personally wouldn't run them on petrol though I run our hand warmers on Panel wipe.
once again apologies to Mike for off-track
cheers Danny

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
British Red, I'm a barista by trade and it's good to see you doing things properly! No instant for you. I take a stove top espresso maker with me and some pre ground coffee ground in my works grinder. I use a little Bialetti one as it's a design classic. In a perfect world we should grind just before we use but I don't think the portable grinders are up to the job and I already find the espresso heavy enough to lug around (but for me coffee is a necessity, not a luxury so I don't mind the weight).

The stove top espresso should sit supported above a good flame if heating on the fire, making sure to cover the plastic handle with foil to stop it melting. I've tried burying it in embers but it doesn't heat as quickly or as well. It would work better on a hobo stove or similar.

Finally, British Member, looking at the grind of your beans, I'm wondering if you would do better to go a bit finer to get more crema on the coffee and a thicker, intenser brew. But I haven't seen your coffee machine before so can't be sure it works in exactly the same way as mine.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
5coffeecloseup.jpg

The stoves a Borde petrol stove from Switzerland / cheers Danny

Dan, I had one of those stoves nicked by a rather handy looking security guard in Munich, or was it Zurich... I had burned it off and flushed it out with water half a dozen times, and left it sitting open for a week, but he insisted on having it as you could still smell petrol.

I was absolutely furious but one glance at his calloused knuckles convinced me I could give it up either with or without a broken face!

To make matters worse, I found a gorgeous little stainless cafetiere in TK Max last week.
Sadly, her indoors confiscated it immediately. (Please don't tell her I called her that.)

Bill.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I've been using Illy coffee and an aero press which makes a good brew but is quite a lot of bits to carry around. Some good ideas here I need to try. Chris

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Got to say I'm really impressed with these new "Starbucks Microgrind" saches. I picked up a few from Tesco. They're actually really good. £1 for 3, or £2 for 7. Not exactly in the same league for cost as filtered, but then you have to take in ease of use and space required.

starbucks_via.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've gone back to loose tea these days and the 25p tea strainer from wilko's works very well on 'cowboy' coffee as it strains 99% of the grind out.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Got to say I'm really impressed with these new "Starbucks Microgrind" saches. I picked up a few from Tesco. They're actually really good. £1 for 3, or £2 for 7. Not exactly in the same league for cost as filtered, but then you have to take in ease of use and space required.

starbucks_via.jpg

Do those just need water, no filter ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE