Canned food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The cookbook download thread got me thinking about canned food.

People seem happy to spend £3 on a boil in the bag meal yet you can get a can of curry for £1 and 5 minute rice for 19p, get two packets of the rice and you can feed two for £1.40 so why do we get the bag meals? Cans are not that heavy are they? Awkward to pack?

Camping with Nigel a couple of weeks back and we made a stew, diced fresh veg boiled in just enough water to cover them, and added a couple of cans of stewed steak at the end; so a cheats stew yes, but trust me it tasted fine and was a lot faster than simmering fresh beef for an hour plus it came in at about £2.50.

Don't get me wrong, I love cooking fresh food but canned food has its place so lets get some recipe ideas going. You have the stew idea above (and you could use canned spuds and mixed veg for a super fast meal) so what are your ideas?

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
I have used a tin of tuna, a packet of mushroom cuppa soup and some ready cooked (microwaveable) rice to make a very good kedgeree in under 3 minutes.

The tins can also be fashioned into nightlight holders, storage stoves and ashtrays, after your meal.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Every time I take the family car camping we have the same 1st meal. 2 tins stewed steak in gravy, 1 tin minced beef and onion in gravy, 2 large tins of potatoes, 1 tin of baby carrots, 1 tin of peas, 1 tin of chickpeas, 1 tin of sweetcorn, 2 beef oxo cubes, a good pinch of a nice herb mix. Bung the lot in the pan (I use a big aluminium dutch oven for stews, food is a lot less likely to stick because the thick walls dissipate the heat a lot better than a thin walled billy), top off with water so everything's submerged, give it a quick stir and put it on the fire or gas stove on a low heat until the tent's up. If we have time I'll make a quick bannock to go with it but TBH that doesn't happen often. We call it 'camp stew'. Imaginative huh :D
When I'm off on overnights I often take a can of all day breakfast in beans. OK, not ideal for long distance walks but I'm not obsessed with paring ounces for an overnighter.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have used canned stuff before, its pretty handy and for the most part can be heated straight in the can ( i dont know if this is recommended but i aint died yet!) but if your really worried about the weight you could always decant it into bags and keep it in a billy or something to stop it popping all over your bag

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Delia would be proud of you both. :)

I agree with you by the way. You'd think that the packet grub would be cheaper...

Maybe because food companies know that less packaging is popular, they're hoping to make money from the people who are really making an effort to buy grub that has less packaging?

You know what it's like, once something becomes a trend the price goes up.

Or, is it more expensive to make plastic from crude oil with the barrel price fluctuating over the past year?

Good question Rik_uk3.

It's got me thinking now... oh oh.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i've done the tinned route before, its ok if its reletively warm, otherwise opening a can in the freezing cold with your SAK tin opener is...fun.
still i'm onboard with what your saying, it IS much cheaper generally to go with tinned food, however you have to consider the trade off in weight you get, especially if your a backpacker like me.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
tind food can be great.......

i have used 10 man orp (army rations) a few times and its dead easy. open up bung in the fire coals and away you go.

you can also boil them in water but they take longer, just put a dent in the side and wait untill its poped out (but dont over do it or let it boil dry, red hot bean juice leaves scars lol....)

the tins can also be re-used for boiling water making stew etc then binned if burnt or to dirty.

the only problem i have with them is when you DONT want the tin and you have to take it with you. this can cause problems due to the sharp edge which can cut bags and leave bean juice etc all over the place.....

what i say to you is........ buy a bag sealer (not sure on price) open the tin into a food bag and seal 90-95 percent of the way across..... now suck out all the air as best as possible and seal the remainder.....

leave enough bag for steam to enter and mix the contents and hey presto.......boil in the bag for the price of tinned and a food bag...lol

hope this helps.....chris......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like tinned food but I usually transfer it into one of the Lakeland boil-a-bags before a trip. Particular favourites are stewing steak in gravy, Stag chilli and Morrisons chicken curry.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I don't know why people buy precooked military rations and other retort pouch food like civvy Wayfayrers. A new outdoor shop opening soon down the street from me is selling Wayfayrer meals for E8.99 on their website, a bloody rip off!
If it's precooked food you want I find Lidl canned stews good enough quality, have a very high meat content and have ring pulls so no faffing about with can openers.
In front of me now I have a can of Lidl stewed steak, meat content is 73% and weight is 411g's for a total of 489 kcal's.
Combine this with a pouch of Tesco precooked rice (approx 250g's/370 kcal's) and you have a very hearty single meal for very little money.
The washing up problem can sorted by the boil in the bag method and all rubbish weighs little and can be packed out.
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Camp curry
1 tin stewed steak
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 small tin sweetcorn
1 small tin sliced mushrooms
1 onion sliced
3 tablespoons madras curry powder
pour all in a pan
bring to slow boil
remove from heat and chow down

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
At least 2 tins of beans has come along with me everytime, sometimes soup and tuna i love tinned stuff. It's cheap! I made a sausage and bean stew the other week.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Chilli Wraps
All ingredients available cheaply from Aldi
1 can red kidney beans
1 spoonful of chilli paste
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 Lb mince
1 finely chopped onion
1 pack tortillas.
1 pack grated cheese
1 mixed salad pack
Fry onions, add mince, cook till brown, add chilli paste, add beans, add tomatoes, cook for one hour, low heat.
Assemble
Feeds three (or five if the wife is present)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
The tin problem is dead easy to sort out.
The night before you set off open the tin and tip the contents into a 'Pour & Store' Bag, they are designed for freezing soups - stocks etc. - The upside of that is not only saving on weight and messy tins - but you can boil them in the bag and brew from the same water. When backpacking it will mean that you dont loose any of the precious water to rehydrate, you get the low cost of tinned food ie big breakfast, chilie, curry, stews etc. no washing up, win win situation. Add to the load some packets of smash, uncle bens microwave rice, pitta bread, nan bread etc & sorted. For more than a few days you can freeze the contents solid and they will defrost slowlyready for when you need them.

Cheers
Nick

we also used to do a mystrey stew all in thing where every body had to bring a tin and they where all put in a big billy usually with a lot of chilli etc
worked well 99% of the time just a bit of a problem if every one brings Beans :eek::D

didnt have a big enough pot one day so nicked one of the TA group
who werent to happy next day as it was there tea boiling pot OC want happy with Chilli tea :D

ATB

Duncan

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
as much as I would love to have tinned stew I'm afraid that the stuff disagrees with my bowls. as do a number of brown coloured foods due to the inclusion of the colouring caramel.

If I could find a tin of stew without this in I would happily use it when camping.

I like bringing a tin of beans and a tin of rice pudding. both yummy.

those lakeland boil a bags look good but there are mixed reports on their website.
apparently you need to have a high water content in the bag or summit.

you can get a tin of curry sauce from tesco for 18p - its good too, as long as you add a few spices.

andy

The tin problem is dead easy to sort out.
The night before you set off open the tin and tip the contents into a 'Pour & Store' Bag, they are designed for freezing soups - stocks etc. - The upside of that is not only saving on weight and messy tins - but you can boil them in the bag and brew from the same water. When backpacking it will mean that you dont loose any of the precious water to rehydrate, you get the low cost of tinned food ie big breakfast, chilie, curry, stews etc. no washing up, win win situation. Add to the load some packets of smash, uncle bens microwave rice, pitta bread, nan bread etc & sorted. For more than a few days you can freeze the contents solid and they will defrost slowlyready for when you need them.

Cheers
Nick

Spooky, thats exactly what i do...

I freeze the meals to stop them making a mess should they burst (which they haven't yet)

The 'Pour & Store' Bag cost about £1 for 8, but they are heavy duty bags and can easily be washed out and reused..

L

LordRose

The last few times Ive been out Ive survived entirely off of uncle bens microwave rice, boil it in the packet and add a few chopped up pepperami and your laughing! Theres no need to pay the outrageous prices they charge for ration packs. For the price of two 'meals' you could have walked into the nearest wetherspoons and got a beer and burger for the same price!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Spaghetti

Depending on how wild you go on veggies (amount), this will be enough for 2 adults. Costs: about 3-4 GBP

1 tin corned beef
1 tin peas (small)
1 tin tomato puree (small)
spaghetti
onion (and/or a leak, paprika's, red peppers, etc.)
olive oil
whatever spices you can get your hands on (salt, pepper, paprika,

1. Boil spaghetti with (drained) peas and a little olive oil
2. Put away pot (sleeping bag)
3. Cut up onion and fry up lightly with a little olive oil
4. Add chopped up corned beef
5. Add tomato puree
6. Add spices to flavour
7. Add spaghetti & peas

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE