Limited Canned Goods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Canned goods - the regular cylinder sized cans that supermarkets store renowned for their long stable storage shelf life are a staple of most of our kitchen cupboard. They cover a multitude of food types and their fungible size make storage easy to pack and store.

BUT if you could only store 5 different canned goods for long storage and building up an emergency pantry what 5 canned goods would you select??

They would need to provide ( in no particular order ) :-

Flavour
Calorie Content
Macro Nutrient coverage
Ability to 'build/include' into other recipes
Shelf life stability ( Citrus/Certain veg items tend to be problematic )
Cost

In summary- if you wanted to build an emergency pantry of sorts which would be your Top 5 canned goods to include?

PS 'Beans' can be in there for one entry - but not ALL 5. :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So all your protein is from another source?

No.
I don't think I said that. But equally I'm open to the notion I may have somehow inferred it? Not sure how.

So a Tin could be ( example ) , Ravioli - meat and pasta.

Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A lot of tinned stuff contains protein, even baked beans.

I agree, it's easy to find good protein sources in cans, but TeeDee specifically said 'carbs' but didn't mention protein - we need about 30% protein intake. It made it sound like I could just use the cans as carb and mineral sources and get my proteins from other sources.

So, to be clear, the cans need to supply all basic requirements of protein, fibre, calories, minerals, fats ... In other words, the cans must supply our complete dietary requirement?

Don't worry TeeDee, once we've got the 'rules' sorted (or I have at least) I'm sure you'll get constructive responses :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
As long as I can have plenty of dried goods? I.e. dried beans, peas, pearl barley, lentils etc and herbs, I'd actually opt for tinned protein, being harder to dry, so a tin of oily fish probably sardines in sunflower oil, a tin of stewed steak, a tin of spam (good fat content and flavour). I had a good tinned chicken curry tother day from Tesco! Very tasty so throw that in too. That leaves me one can... maybe some black olives in vinegar because I'd probably get them all to myself! But probably a tinned of corned beef in reality. Carbs are easier dried, and more likely to hand, and greens likely to be forageable atleast.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, here's a start (I reserve the right to change my mind :))

CarbsProteinFatFibre
Chickpeas
13.6​
6.7​
2.2​
6.9​
Pineapple
14​
0.4​
0​
0.4​
Sardines
0.2​
18​
17​
0.1​
Pilchards
3.6​
13.2​
6.9​
1.1​
Mixed Vegetables
3.1​
1.7​
0.3​
2.8​

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
... sunflower oil ...
Sunflower oil is very easily oxidized, in fact it is probably the most easily to-go-rancid of the commonly used vegetable oils. Yes I know it is commonly used, the reason being it is cheap. I would choose almost anything else over that if prepping with canned food.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Don't wish to be pedantic but TeeDee did specify the normal cylindrical cans/tins, so tinned fish is off the menu. :p
??? here I can get many fish in normal cans. Do you have some strange incomprehensible British law against normal cans for fish??? :eek:;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, sardines usually come in wee flat rectangular tins :) Fish shaped.

If, and it's an if, you're an omnivore then I'd concentrate on the tinned meat.
Veggies are rather better stored dried. Smash for instance.

Himself eats meat, Son2 and I don't.
The only cans I keep in the pantry are tinned chicken in white sauce (he likes it, it's easy to turn it into something else, like a curry, fill pastry, salad, etc.,) small tins of corned beef, tinned haggis (meat and carbs in one can :) ) bacon grill type stuff, assorted beans and peas, and fruit.
Two vegetarians in the house means that I keep veggie protein too. So tinned braised tofu, and tinned nut luncheon .....which is basically peanut turned into stuff that slices up a bit like spam.
I don't keep fish, I'm allergic and Himself doesn't mind. If that weren't an issue then I might keep some.

Tidy that lot up;
Chicken in white sauce
Corned beef
Haggis
Bacon Grill
Beans/corn (assorted varieties)
Veggie protein
Fruit

Sorry @TeeDee 5 choices isn't enough for my household.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tell a lie, sorry, but I keep tins of evaporated and condensed milk too.

Evap milk is a favourite for Himself. He likes it in his coffee, he likes it on fruit, or cake. It's a really good ingredient for a lot of things.
Condensed milk makes tray bakes and tablet ! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry,slight drift,only just tried tablet,got some when we were in Moffet,i even had a go at Irn Bru flavour,it's all very moreish.

There's a recipe on the forum somewhere :)
It is addictive :blush: and I don't have a sweet tooth, but Himself makes it and I quickly pass along most of it so that I don't guzzle.

Reactions: billycoen

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
OT, but....
I originally posted the recipe in the early 2000's ......and here we are a lot of years later still talking about making sweeties :rolleyes3:

@TeeDee
I think I'd definitely put in a can of milk of some kind in your stores. Evap's probably the most useful, and tbh, I find the pack of three little ones to be handier than one big can.
Sorry to take the thread OT, I'll go and be good :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE