Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Not yet, but now you mention it...

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
My missus reckons the Bushcrafter/CAMRA membership combination must be pretty common so:
Hands up if you are also a CAMRA member (or other Real Beer supporting association for our overseas friends)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not so much. I do like British beer, but-----I prefer good German beer. After all they are the master brewers :beerchug: :pokenest:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brewer and beer enthusiast here - CAMRA had its place when we were infested with American style weak and watery fizzy pop "lagers", but I think proper tasty beer is now the done thing :)

In the words of the incomparable Wychwood

Whats%20the%20matter%20America%202.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Brewer and beer enthusiast here - CAMRA had its place when we were infested with American style weak and watery fizzy pop "lagers", but I think proper tasty beer is now the done thing :)

In the words of the incomparable Wychwood

Whats%20the%20matter%20America%202.jpg

I love lagers. They're the only proper "beer." But I gotta agree with you on the "watery" thing BR. Oddly that didn't get popular here until the "light beer" craze while I was in England in the mid to late 1980s. Imagine my horror when I got home after four years and all they had was "light beer."

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A really good lager is okay I must say - I enjoyed a few when I worked in Prague briefly, but I vastly prefer something dark and complex and nutty. A good cool pint of Hobgoblin is pretty special - it might be a climate thing - I've often noticed that beers suit their country of production. Cold light beers in hot places, cool, heavy, dark beers in coller climes.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Absolutely BR. I hadn't noticed it personally until it was actually pointed out on a History Channel documentary. Affer that It seemed so obvious. At least if you allow for the cool German climate being an exception. They seem to produce some of the best lagers.

I also like some darker beers; particularly German bock beers and a good selectio of British ales. It's said that the vast variety of beer makes it even more important to pair the proper beer to the food than it is for wine. I firmly believe that.

And thanfully with the advent of craft brewing and microbreweries, we're finally getting away from that awful light beer over here.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
for Ale i go with traditional scottish ones by william bros brewery. Fraoch, heather ale. and alba, scots pine and sprue ale. tasty stuff. they do a seaweed and gooseberry ale too!

They're good aren't they Hamish, though the kelp beer shouldn't be drunk in large amounts without a loo somewhere very close. :yikes: The Grozet is so good on a hot summer night. Have you tried the cider from the folks at Cairn O Mohr winery at Errol? Really nice stuff.

On the German lager thing, whilst it may not be blisteringly hot in Germany the lager does help cut through the fatty pork based diet prevelant in a lot of areas (hence the special loos in some parts of Germany especialy because of the porky diet!)

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
At least if you allow for the cool German climate being an exception. They seem to produce some of the best lagers.

/QUOTE]

The process of 'lagering' the brew requires cold temperatures to work, hence lager being traditionally made in countries with colder climes.....

I mostly brew my own ale/lager/stout etc, but tend to drink lager only in the warmer months (not sure when that is going to be this year...)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
They're good aren't they Hamish, though the kelp beer shouldn't be drunk in large amounts without a loo somewhere very close. :yikes: The Grozet is so good on a hot summer night. Have you tried the cider from the folks at Cairn O Mohr winery at Errol? Really nice stuff.

On the German lager thing, whilst it may not be blisteringly hot in Germany the lager does help cut through the fatty pork based diet prevelant in a lot of areas (hence the special loos in some parts of Germany especialy because of the porky diet!)

Yeah when i lived in perth i visited cairn o mohr quite a few times, love their fruit wines and they stock the william bros ales. never tried their cider though!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
At least if you allow for the cool German climate being an exception. They seem to produce some of the best lagers.

/QUOTE]

The process of 'lagering' the brew requires cold temperatures to work, hence lager being traditionally made in countries with colder climes.....

Then I suppose we have to make allowances for Mexico, Jamaica, and the rest of the Caribbean instead. I had agreed with BR that lagers were more popular there because of their hot climates (and also because their original breweries were founded by German immigrants)

But I suppose the reality in modern times really has little to do with the orignal reasons.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yeah when i lived in perth i visited cairn o mohr quite a few times, love their fruit wines and they stock the william bros ales. never tried their cider though!

The cider's fairly new, picked some up at a farmers market though a friend seems to have a source of it, think he's not telling his Mrs that's he's dissapearing up there. Nice stuff though they do a sweet and a dry. Like the spring oak leaf wine and the bramble is really good too. Think there's a family like to MacKies ice-cream too. We're talking all our food groups being covered here. Great night out at their wine tastings too, totally plastered for a £10 with entertainment thrown in. The parties like their bottle smash are supposed to be pretty wild, quite fancy going.
Can you get the William Bros down by you? Hopefully going to their Alloa festival this year if funds allow. :D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The cider's fairly new, picked some up at a farmers market though a friend seems to have a source of it, think he's not telling his Mrs that's he's dissapearing up there. Nice stuff though they do a sweet and a dry. Like the spring oak leaf wine and the bramble is really good too. Think there's a family like to MacKies ice-cream too. We're talking all our food groups being covered here......

Irish coffee's the only thing that can put ALL FOUR food groups into a single drink:
1. Alcohol
2. Caffiene
3. Sugar AND
4. Fat

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I am not a member but like to check out CAMRA recommended pubs when I am on holiday. If I was single I might join but with two young kids my week to week pub days are long over.:(

I do occasionally use a CAMRA recommended pub near me and love to taste the variety of stuff they have. Incidentally America has really embraced micro brewing and is making some fantastic stuff at the moment.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Then I suppose we have to make allowances for Mexico, Jamaica, and the rest of the Caribbean instead. I had agreed with BR that lagers were more popular there because of their hot climates (and also because their original breweries were founded by German immigrants)

But I suppose the reality in modern times really has little to do with the orignal reasons.

Not disagreeing mate, as i said i drink lager through the warmer months myself, when we have some!! It completely makes sense that hotter climates favour cold lager over warm ales. Plus i doubt any brewery relies on cellar/room temperatures to ferment beer in these days!! :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE