Camping out with just a sleeping bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
Hi guys!

I'm back after a brilliant night! thank you so much to the people on here who helped convince me that it wasn't a crazy idea! :)

Fortunately, when I arrived at the camp spot, I found that the other campers who frequent it had conveniently left a big arched tree branch next to the fire pit as a make shift bench.This would come in handy...

With darkness already falling, I collected as much wood as possible whilst I could still actually see! Then got the fire going:

DSC00561.jpg

I then quickly grabbed a bunch of bracken and turned the branch into a sketchy lean-to shelter to keep the heat from the fire on me:

(photo taken in the morning as it was too dark at the time!)

DSC00570.jpg

Feeling thoroughly chuffed with myself, I settled down with a nice cold beer and some music!

I spent most of the night listening to an audiobook version of Henry David Thoreau's "Walden", and enjoying the sounds of the woods.

In the early hours, I re-arranged the fire to lie parallel to my bed, and stoked it up with the long, chunky logs I'd collected. Then I retired to my bag for the night!

I was actually -contrary to my worries before I left- too HOT to sleep for about an hour! Although I was still constantly dosing off.

Once the fire had died down a bit, I was out like a light, waking up this morning to see this:

DSC00571.jpg

Then I felt some spots of rain so packed up and walked home!

I also seem to have not one bug bite whatsoever, which I'm well shocked about! Although I did wrap up and wear lots of layers.

I will definitely be solo camping regularly now rather than only going with mates. I just need to find myself a hammock and tarp, then learn how the set up the thing (can't tie a knot to save my life!).

Sorry for the essay! Here's a picture of my sister's dog with a birthday card which I accidentally uploaded from my phone with the other photos...

DSC00541.jpg

much love,

your darling Prof. Gordy xxx

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
thanks trekkingnut.

It was so easy to build since the hard work had already been done for me!

Worked really well though. Still, I hope to have a hammock and tarp by the time I'm next out.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Great stuff Professer, glad you enjoyed it ,im on an overnighter myself tomorrow night myself and seeing your pictures has already got me in the mood. Cheers and thanks for sharing.
Darren

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Great stuff - remember to do it this way sometimes when you have bought yourself all the kit. Sometimes hard to leave the 'toys' behind when you've spend loads on them & deny yourself a more minimal experience that you stand to learn alot from.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
I'm glad you enjoyed your night out. I looked up the post as it was titled 'camping out with just a sleeping bag' but then realised that's not what you meant :)

To be honest, it is nice camp out this way, and just about all of the older ex military types will have done exactly this quite often......Although without the luxury of the fire!
I hope you do this again, as it gives you a real affinity with nature. I did this sleeping bag only thing for many years (but without the roll mat), from very hot weather to very cold. I remember waking up one morning in a '58 issue sleeping bag, and due to the cold weather it had frozen solid to the ground, and I could not move enough to be able to unzip it lol.

Its great that you had no bivvy bag, insect repellent or tarp. So many folks these days think that having all these excess items is travelling light! lol
You pics make it look like you had a good time, and even the dog looked happy (I know he was not there).
Were you able to really get into your book with none of the distractions of home life around you to disturb you?

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
Great stuff - remember to do it this way sometimes when you have bought yourself all the kit. Sometimes hard to leave the 'toys' behind when you've spend loads on them & deny yourself a more minimal experience that you stand to learn alot from.

I'm glad you enjoyed your night out. I looked up the post as it was titled 'camping out with just a sleeping bag' but then realised that's not what you meant :)

To be honest, it is nice camp out this way, and just about all of the older ex military types will have done exactly this quite often......Although without the luxury of the fire!
I hope you do this again, as it gives you a real affinity with nature. I did this sleeping bag only thing for many years (but without the roll mat), from very hot weather to very cold. I remember waking up one morning in a '58 issue sleeping bag, and due to the cold weather it had frozen solid to the ground, and I could not move enough to be able to unzip it lol.

Its great that you had no bivvy bag, insect repellent or tarp. So many folks these days think that having all these excess items is travelling light! lol
You pics make it look like you had a good time, and even the dog looked happy (I know he was not there).
Were you able to really get into your book with none of the distractions of home life around you to disturb you?

thanks for the kind words guys. After looking at some hammocks I reckon it'll be a little while before I buy one anyway (I'm a student so only work part time and spend all my money on music equipment!) so I will definitely be camping out this way plenty more, tents are overrated I've decided! (until it rains and 1am).

I'm gonna see if I can borrow my mates hammock to see how I get on with sleeping in one, as I can only sleep lying on my side for some reason, never on my back?!

I may end up just buying one of those waterproof sleeping bag cover things. (or as one of mates calls his, an 'armadillo' haha!). That way, even if it rains, it won't be a complete disaster!

And yeah tenderfoot, it definitely helped me to be away from the distractions of home life and just sit back in the woods, where time seems to move at a different pace.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE