Camping out with just a sleeping bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
Awsome post there Prof, big props to you for getting out there.

cheers mate :)

I probably wouldn't have gone if hadn't been for this place!

I reckon I'm going again next sunday, except much earlier so that I can spend the day there too, and cook up some tasty food of course!

I REALLY want to go foraging for something in the woods to prepare along with what I bring, but apart from mushrooms -which are too risky to recognise, and mostly out of season (right?)- I don't know where to start.

I'm guessing there's no nuts about at this time of year?

I suppose I could bring my air rifle and try to bag myself a squirrel... :AR15firin

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm glad you had a good trip. :)

Good on ya for getting out there, it looks and sounds like you had a great time.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
cheers mate :)

I probably wouldn't have gone if hadn't been for this place!

I reckon I'm going again next sunday, except much earlier so that I can spend the day there too, and cook up some tasty food of course!

I REALLY want to go foraging for something in the woods to prepare along with what I bring, but apart from mushrooms -which are too risky to recognise, and mostly out of season (right?)- I don't know where to start.

I'm guessing there's no nuts about at this time of year?

I suppose I could bring my air rifle and try to bag myself a squirrel... :AR15firin

You name and sig are killing me. Not black and white, but blue and white :lmao: Excellent.

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
I'm glad you had a good trip. :)

Good on ya for getting out there, it looks and sounds like you had a great time.

I really did mate :D

I found that going on my own allowed me to just enjoy the simple but rewarding process of building a fire, and just being in the woods.

It's like that camping with mates as well. But also the social aspect of going with people makes it a different experience for me.

I think I just enjoy both types of camping as much as each other, but for different reasons.

It was just a shame that I decided to go after I'd had dinner, so even though I brought food last night, I wasn't hungry at all!

Next time, I'll be cooking a feast :D

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
I sleep on my side and stomach mostly,can do it fine in my hammock too.

How does that work out? Not having one to try or borrow from friends, its a big outlay only to find out you can't sleep in it. The amount of pillows I have gone through trying to find one where I don't wake up with a crook neck in the morning is silly.

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
You name and sig are killing me. Not black and white, but blue and white :lmao: Excellent.

I can tell you Jonathan that it wasn't a very pleasant experience. Very disorientating...

What Ray didn't allow me to include in the episode, was the ending to my story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
How does that work out? Not having one to try or borrow from friends, its a big outlay only to find out you can't sleep in it. The amount of pillows I have gone through trying to find one where I don't wake up with a crook neck in the morning is silly.

That's my worry as well. I'm really weird with how I sleep; I have to be in just the right position or I lie awake for hours sometimes.

I suppose with a bigger hammock, it's easier to lie diagonally/sideways. But to tell the truth, I've never used one so until I try my mates (which is a very cheap one, so probably small/very basic), I have no idea.

One thing I can say for sure despite never using one, is that they look extremely awesome, and I bet it looks hilarious to see someone ****** trying to get into one and flipping out at high speeds straight into the ground :lmao:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It's when sober I've fallen out,when setting up and testing is when you're liable to flip.:eek:

The Nomad hammock I have now is much better than the DD I had,for me anyway there's a world of difference between the two.

I usually tuck something below my neck to support it as I have a displaced C7 and nerve damage.

Try and get a shot of a couple of different makes before splashing out,although the nomad isn't too expensive and someone will always buy it off you if not suitable.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's my worry as well. I'm really weird with how I sleep; I have to be in just the right position or I lie awake for hours sometimes.

I'm exactly the same. The good news is, you can get into more comfortable positions in your hammock than any bed. I'm 6ft 2 ins and have never had a problem.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Inspiring post professor i might have a go at this at the wkd - i think your little shelter lookes quite cosy aswell! Did you put bracken down on the ground to insulatre u too???

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
Brilliant! This is the best way to be in the woods overnight. Have done this myself, nothing better than waking up in the woods at the crack of Dawn with the birds singing all around you.:)

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
It's when sober I've fallen out,when setting up and testing is when you're liable to flip.:eek:

The Nomad hammock I have now is much better than the DD I had,for me anyway there's a world of difference between the two.

I usually tuck something below my neck to support it as I have a displaced C7 and nerve damage.

Try and get a shot of a couple of different makes before splashing out,although the nomad isn't too expensive and someone will always buy it off you if not suitable.

cheers, sounds like good advice.

I've had a quick look at some on the net over the past few days. DD seem to be a popular choice on here but I don't really want to spend that much (I'm tight lol)

Just popped onto the Nomad site and I'm guessing you have the "Tropical" one as that looks the cheapest?

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
Inspiring post professor i might have a go at this at the wkd - i think your little shelter lookes quite cosy aswell! Did you put bracken down on the ground to insulatre u too???

To be honest I didn't think of that! Although I had this nifty self-inflating roll mat so that did a good job of keeping off the ground anyway.

And yes I was very cosy, too cosy in fact for about an hour, when I was actually starting to sweat from the heat! I was ok after that though.

And thank you, you should definitely try it (as long as there's no rain forecast!). Although contrary to my optimism earlier, I am now discovering that I was in fact bitten a fair few times :eek:

But that's a given when out in the woods, tent or no tent, the buggers will get you in the end.

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
sounds like you have a great time. honnestly this is the only way I camp. last time I went camping I actually gave my tent to the other people I was with and chucked my sleeping bag on the ground to sleep, which my dog quickly stole (he curled up in the bottom of it, though he did keep my feet warm lol) unfortunatly about 2-3am I woke up to find I had placed my sleeping bag on a wasp nest (the buzzing and crawling sensation down the back of my T-shirt gave that away lol) thankfully I didn't get stung as I moved the wasp, then moved my bag (which anoyed my dog lol) and set up a hammock on teh other side of the campsite. if there's one thing I can say camping with just a bag is probably one of the best experiences you can have... as long as you remember to get to your camp site with plenty of sunlight and set everything up (and check for wasp nests lol) before hand, to be honnest I've been thinking about doing it again sometime soon I just have to get the time to do it and this topic is making me want to do it more

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
sounds like you have a great time. honnestly this is the only way I camp. last time I went camping I actually gave my tent to the other people I was with and chucked my sleeping bag on the ground to sleep, which my dog quickly stole (he curled up in the bottom of it, though he did keep my feet warm lol) unfortunatly about 2-3am I woke up to find I had placed my sleeping bag on a wasp nest (the buzzing and crawling sensation down the back of my T-shirt gave that away lol) thankfully I didn't get stung as I moved the wasp, then moved my bag (which anoyed my dog lol) and set up a hammock on teh other side of the campsite. if there's one thing I can say camping with just a bag is probably one of the best experiences you can have... as long as you remember to get to your camp site with plenty of sunlight and set everything up (and check for wasp nests lol) before hand, to be honnest I've been thinking about doing it again sometime soon I just have to get the time to do it and this topic is making me want to do it more

haha! to be fair, that could have ended up a lot worse, did you not even get stung?

I'd love to take my dog camping!

your story reminds me of when me and some mates built a shelter in the woods years ago and half way through construction, realised that there was a bees nest in the ground near the entrance!

we suddenly started to notice them flying in and out of this hole in the ground and were thinking "damn, it's too late to move elsewhere now..."

In the end, we just built a fire on top of it and also used some of those tiger bomb things you get in France that are like little sticks of dynamite! That seemed to do the trick so we carried on building.

It was just a shame that there was a massive thunderstorm that night and we all ended up soaked, except my mate in his "armadillo" (see earlier post). He was very pleased with himself for having the foresight to bring it along, the smug git :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE