Camping out with just a sleeping bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
Hi guys :)

Basically, I've got the sudden urge to go solo camping tonight but I have only an inflatable roll mat and an artic type sleeping bag- no tent!

Would I be mad to attempt sleeping out with just these things being as there's no rain forecast?

thanks so much for reading. Sorry to make my first contribution to these fantastic forums such a nooby question!

any advice would be greatly appreciated, and fast, as I'm losing daylight! :yikes:

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
A bivi bag would make it more sound if it should rain, but I reckon if its an artic bag you should be fine, just pick a sheltered spot and maybe find a makeshift tarp arrangment / lean to

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If its a proper (synthetic) arctic bag, it will keep you warm even if its ringing wet.

The worst problem you are likely to have is insects. Take some repellant and enjoy your night under the stars:)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
No just get on and do it !, be prepared to get bit by insects, but should'nt be to much of a problem, as most bivvi bags, don't have insect mest any way.
But be aware that we have had a heavy dew in the east mids, these last couple of days, so your bag may get damp, hope you enjoy your self.

Rob

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
I'm so tempted! I'm just worried that I'll get literally no sleep as I've only been in tents before! you're right though- it is a great evening and there's some cloud forecast which would make it a bit warmer surely?

I know that I could always make a long fire parallel to my sleeping position, but then I'd probably be paranoid that I was going to roll into it! haha!

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
Have any of you guys tried this before?

I know that having the inflatable mat keeping me off the ground will keep me warmer, but is getting some sleep actually a possibility?

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
Your plan sounds better and better!

The fire should keep the worst of the dew off too.

I do plenty of night fishing and regularly fall asleep outside at this time of year with no bag.

haha! I'm still not convinced but sod it- i've got nothing better to do on a sunday night! now just gotta find some food to take....

Aug 6, 2010
Leicester
if this goes badly, I'm blaming you guys tomorrow!

wish me luck! I've never solo camped before but reading these forums over the last few days has inspired me! :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hurrah, you will have a great time, sleep or not. A pillow usually makes or breaks a decent nights kip on the ground for me.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Good show! Done this a few times when a taxi home was too expsnsive and the night was nice. Sleeping bag under some cover, small fire and keep you head in your bag whilst sleeping or atleast some mozzie repellant,,,, especially near standing water ;)
A tarp/sheet of plastic would afford some protection from the unpredictable rain at the moment but for one night and given teh bag u have its nay bother.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
done it a load of times. if you have a fire as you said you will be fine... im doing something similar tonight. taken the lining out my tent and testing what the condensation level is like, also going to take the door off as this is an option in my tent. ultra light camping is something of an addiction....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE