Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
May have rained on and off but brill. Arrived via another route so the quad went right up to the usual camp area. I stopped and looked up and was about 20' away from a Muntjack :Wow:. I turned the engine off before I got the camera out and it bolted. Saw it later feeding but still wasn't quick enough to get a pic (about 100yds away). Later lay in the hammock and a fox trotted by about 50' away. The most I've seen down there.
Got a fire :campfire: going using duct tape as tinder and had a couple of brews.
The new orange "tarp" made from ripstop nylon so it packs ultra small and is featherweight, kept the rain off as soon as I put a fall on it. Where the water pooled it came through. I've got to add another couple of tie outs on it so it overhangs the hammock by about another 1' to 18".
Lovely sitting there reading and swaying.
Pics when I get them uploaded. Hope the fox one comes out ;)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Current numbers confirmed/tentative are 13+ (inc myself & partner) so looks like a good weekend ahead.
Mixture of no experience to people who have been on courses or involved with Scouts.

I will probably be there Friday evening so best to call or text me if anyone else wants to come as checking internet with intermittent 3G chews battery really quick.

Really looking forward to this. See you there!

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Just got back from the vixen pits meetup. 8 of us in all attended. Get well soon Kerry. I hope the allergic reaction soon clears up.

I also showed how putting gaffa tape on a sore area stopped it blistering with continually work ;)
I had to carve a spork and a spatula. I showed someone how to use the carving jack and said you had to be careful carving towards your thumb and immediately cut it :lmao: The 2nd person to cut themselves in 5 minutes. :(
I finished off by carving 2 willow whistles this afernoon.
Leigh showed everyone how to make nettle cordage and then did a 3 strand willow bark plat.
The charcloth made turned out well and I showed some how to use a flint and steel (always got one in the car). I also showed how to make a birds nest from grass and reed head seeds and watched it be blown into flame (twice). The 1st time he had done it
The lakes and ground are covered in willow "fluff". It looked like it was snowing at one point

I took this while everyone else was off doing firelays and making a bowdrill set.
[video]http://s799.photobucket.com/user/kpurse/media/March%20Meets/Vixen%20Pits%2003-05-14/100_1466_zps2dadcf2f.mp4.html[/video]
The 4 lots of bannock I made over Sat and Sun didn't get chance to cool down :rofl:
The potato and onion pie went down brill as well (made by a new female member) - (It was eaten before I got a shot of it :rofl:)

Her 1st ever attempt at it

The slideshow of over 50 images is here

and click to play http://s799.photobucket.com/user/kp...n Pits 03-05-14/100_1478_zpsb552c8c6.mp4.html

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Cream Crackered from the last meet so need a bit of a breather!

Wasn't expecting to be mainly teaching, good fun and great to meet new people. There were quite a few with no experience and one person traveled from York, doing 160 miles to get there!

I will put some dates up over the weekend for us if I get chance.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Had all of my top set out yesterday. Managed a Weetabix this morning :rofl: At least SWMBO is getting a rest from my yap as talking makes me hit my gum with my bottom teeth :lmao:
May have a play in the workshop later as a product for sale on YouTube looks like it could be made fairly easy and a LOT cheaper than $60:deal:
I like the one handed idea:thinkerg:

[video=youtube;2eQmknbvAAA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eQmknbvAAA[/video]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE