Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

skog

Forager
Aug 9, 2011
wicken
Sounds good. Hope I can bring something to the table. Have quite good field craft from an exmil perspective and also a keen hunter but have bags to learn with regards to traditional skills , fire drill etc

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Just got back from Vixen pits. (Pics to follow)
Did bow drill prep, flint and steel and horseshoe fungus in to a tinder bundle, blown into flame.
Couple of quick showers but the ripstop tarp I made proved to be waterproof. The homemade toasting fork toasted my frankfurters to perfection for lunch (yum yum).
Good company, good setting, good food and good skills practiced. Can't ask for more ;)

Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Gutted to have missed out suffering with a Chest cough/infection. Having trouble breathing without feeling like I'm coughing my lungs up...😕

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I'm going to have another go at Bowdrill next time. Been Watching Wilderness Outfitters demo on it. What I will do next time:
Get softer wood for the heath board and drill.
Strip the drill of bark to make it more uniform shape for cord to grip.
Possibly make a longer, stronger bow.
Use green wood for the bearing block.

I think I should be well on my way to getting a flame with these mods. I think the last setup was too hardwood. Drill bit was bouncing about. Bow was too short to get a good push and the bearing block was shouldering out as it was burning up.

Well, that's the plan anyway!

13669437665_68c78ca662.jpg

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Went to Greeniversity day at Bretton, Peterborough. Took 2 of my grandson's aged 6 & 7. Both came back with a handled willow basket they had made ;)
- All for free including tea and coffee. They have a family day the last Saturday of the month where they also do a large stew/soup for everyone.
They have shave horses, etc all setup and bowl making benches. Carved a quick spoon for one of my grandsons
I showed a couple of boys there how to do a taught line hitch. Only drawback is they are now pestering me to do some Bushcraft courses there. Even tried to tempt me by saying we could use some of their sites to do camp overs when mutually convenient :)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2014
March
Hi any one around March would like to chat and pass on some ideas and help to someone new to this. trying to get scouts involved shown them some basics.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
It will be interesting to see the damascus. I never get prezzies that cool. Having said that, I just booked myself onto a foraging course in october in surrey I am really looking forward to. Also looking forward to the lakes this weekend. Hope my tooth extraction won't play me up. Going in for it tomorrow.

Other bushcrafter's welcome along. No cost, just a place to meet and share skills and company.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Happy birthday Kev you've mentioned the Damascus knife a few times lol can't make this weekend with it being bank holiday and all, looking forward to getting to these lakes it looks a fantastic site.

Sent from the smoke clouds of a poorly lit fire...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE