Bushcrafty Music

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
For me, there is no Bushcraft music. Bushcraft and music just dont mix. I cant say I've ever heard a piece of music that has reminded me of or inspired me to go out to the great outdoors. The closest I can come to is the crackle of the fire and the dawn chorus, thats my Bushcraft music.

Same here, Gray, can't understand the need for music when out in the countryside doin' yer thing.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Same here, Gray, can't understand the need for music when out in the countryside doin' yer thing.

Hi Opal and Gray,

I do have a wee music player/radio in my pack for long term camping but it's rarely if ever used. Any music outdoors is either in my head or me singing to myself when out and about. The songs I've posted hear are for the occasional time I'm listening to music at home, and these tracks remind me of being outdoors and in special places, a bit like audible photographs. Outside its good just to listen and notice whats going on, most folks rely on their eyes ignoring their ears and nose. And they miss lots.

TTFN,
GB.

leon-1

I don't honestly think that there is such a thing as bushcrafty music.

I do think there are certain types of mood music that seem to crop up more frequently when I'm out and about.

Al Marconi and Seth Lakeman are pretty good.

Clannad, Show Of hands, Fleetwood Mac, Clapton, Stereophonics, Jan Garbarek and the Hilliard ensemble, Enigma, Enya, Rondo Veneziano, Incantation, Steeleye Span, Carl Orff, Pachelbel, Smetana, Dvorak, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Thea Gilmore, Mendelssohn, Sky, Mason Williams, Morricone and many others all fit the bill dependant on what mood I am in.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Hi Opal and Gray,

I do have a wee music player/radio in my pack for long term camping but it's rarely if ever used. Any music outdoors is either in my head or me singing to myself when out and about. The songs I've posted hear are for the occasional time I'm listening to music at home, and these tracks remind me of being outdoors and in special places, a bit like audible photographs. Outside its good just to listen and notice whats going on, most folks rely on their eyes ignoring their ears and nose. And they miss lots.

TTFN,
GB.
yeah, i totally understand what your saying, theres no right or wrong in it. Its just my preference, each to there own and all that. We are all individuals and i absolutely respect every other persons opinion. :) happy days, however which way anyone enjoys there time outside is up to them and to me, it doesnt matter as long as there enjoying themseves.
i suppose that just about sums up the hobby as a whole. I'm a ukulele player, but its never been in the woods lol

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
I think the other thing for me as well is that i'm an ex squaddie and i have some orrible memories of ****** up young soldiers singing round the campfire throwing sheep dung around and lumps of burning bacon grill everywhere and music whilst camping reminds me and spoils it abit.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yeah not usually a great fan of group gatherings either though the one I've been to with folks from here was very good. But yes it depends on the company.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Not sure how to word this......

Perhaps its because I consider misen a hick or a backwoodsman ......

I happily sit and listen to her sounds , be it the leaves, the branches , the insects or beasts et al. But I'm also happy in the woods listening to some music created by her creatures that are us. I could be watching say.....a film....for example , totha neet.....and some American country music sounds kicked in.....and I thought of a fire side dressed wi folks that spend a whole life backwoods.....kicking back for a couple of ours drinking shine and back slapping , rolling in the dirt......woods music.......

I hear lynard and think of backwoods.....I hear folk music and think of backwoods.....I hear cash and think of backwoods......I hear a fiddle and think of backwoods.....I can hear a flute or a skin drum......I think of backwoods......I think of folk who work within her realms , and relax within her realms......
.folk playing to her in her garden......not to insult her......to favour her......showing how happy they are with her and what she give us......she is a godess....

Music is conversation.....conversation is music.....

I once sat by the fire.....at brockwell....Minstrel from the forum , strung a few chords and sang......it was a natural as woodpeckers laugh and drill as it flys from tree to tree....

I may be going out on a limb.....but if some music created by man seems offensive to you while kicking back with either an acorn or pine brew.....or with a cider , nettle beer , malt or shine...then you don't trully connect with nature .

Yes....there's time when all we want to hear is her music.....but there are times when our music is what she likes to hear, for she knows we are not there to disrespect and harm......but there to absorb and be peaceful wrapped in her blanket.....

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
.......then you dont truly connect with nature.

Chis, you cant say that buddy, thats your opinion...which is fine...but, you cant tell me i don't truly connect with nature without music. I don't like music out in the wilds, it stops me connecting with nature....but thats my opinion. You've never met me, don't know me, so you cant tell me I don't connect with nature because I don't have music. Don't get me wrong or take this the wrong way, Theres no nastiness here at all and I respect you as a long standing, very knowledgable member of this forum but you have to realise that we are all individuals and we all see different things in different ways. Just because I or you see something in a certain way, doesn't mean everyone else is going to agree.
I hope I haven't offended you with this as thats really not my intention at all but at the end the day i cant sit back and let somebody else tell me how to feel.
I've also got a bad habit of reading things the wrong way and mis interpreting what it means. If thats the case i 'm really sorry but I know i can rely on everyone to tell me so lol. I've also got a stupid mouth and things always seem to come out wrong. If thats the case, again, I apologise.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
No offense meant or taken Gray , it wasn't with a quote from you or anyone else....me just throwing my opinion and not meant as a damming judgement......

Your right about how hard it is to come across and show who we are and how we feel and what we mean....that will always be a downside of the virtual web.

The key words in my bold statement.....could be the association of music and drinking and social fire time.....if were not in the company of her alone , then the sounds and smells she provides can be easily lost for the moment......that's when its our time to play to her and her creatures and fauna.....we all give life and death to each other.....we coincide together when we arnt being destructive and ignorant to each other's needs..... .damn I'm sounding like a hippy lol......I'm really just a hick .....

The connection is more natural to some than others and the awareness is more natural to some than others as is the ignorance.....I'm guilty of all and innocent of none......sometimes........

Reyt I'm waffling an talking rubbish.....ill step back.....plus its a pia not having a keyboard.... Lol. Listen fella , best I can say is.....when we do get to hopefully meet......cause I think yor comes across as one o the better folk on here....I promise not to sing .....or dance.....might swear an spit baco juice round the fire once or twice......but I won't sing or play show of hands songs on my phone ;):beer:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Chiseller's post #47 is very well put, that's as close as it gets to it for me - very well written, I say! atb mac

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Lol.....I'm having a strange....day or is it other days that are strange ......Thankyou for that. :thumbup: I have written what some call poetry....I've spoken a lot more though and regretfully.....not written it.....I might reveal a couple that I have though ??? ......if you knew me through out life or how some would lead you to belive I have lived.....I'm probably the last person, tha'd imagine poetry from though :rolleyes:....

Here's one I wrote after I garnard another ring round my trunk.....or on one of my birthdays ......

Well, another four seasons passed, seems to have gone so fast.

Been to places i'd not expected to have seen, places that you wouldn't want to in a dream.

But its not been all bad an have new friends for which i'm glad.

Some roads travelled that have made me laugh an smile an reminded me how good life can be.

I know which friends ar real an who understand the way i feel.

Thank you my folk an kin, wi your help i'll not give in, here's to the next year, to you my friends i raise this beer.

Cheers ;)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
When we mean to say something that comes on in verse , it can sheild or portray make better or worse .....
Could be a talent or even a curse ....

But I think we've said enough , and been fair and not rough, so agreed to step back and lets get the thread back on track......:beer:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Wardruna, two albums so far I think. Runaljod gap var gunninga, and Runaljod Yggdrasil. I can't stop listening to these two. Check out the YouTube vids for a taster. Just search wardruna.
The last track on Yggdrasil, called Helvegen stirs something inside..

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE