Bushcraft/Outdoors-related uni project: Ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hello :)

I'm currently studying music technology at university, and this year, I am to undertake a large technical project on a subject of my choice (well, sort of).

I'd like to somehow involve my love of bushcraft/the outdoors. Whilst it does have to link in to music/audio technology in some way, this link can be tenuous!

I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas as to what I could do?

Suggestions that I have had so far are:

- Something related to music listening habits whilst hiking. Ie- is there a particular style of music more suited to hiking than another? Do people walk further and more effectively whilst listening to a particular type of music?

- Something relating to the subject of field recording- hiking and bushcraft can lead people to interesting places, which in turn could provide interesting recording opportunities, such as wildlife, environmental sounds, etc. These could in turn be applied to a piece of music, or compared to studio-recorded 'fake' sound effects of wildlife, environments, etc. Which is more effective or realistic?

- Again on the subject of field recording- the analysis and/or creation of a new piece of gear or technique, that may benefit those dealing with audio in an outdoors environment (I'm thinking someone like Ray Mears sound guy here!). Perhaps a waterproof microphone? An ultra-lightweight digital recording device?

I realise that I'm asking a rather tricky question here, and perhaps I should take a more traditional route with my project, but I'd love to marry the two interests that appeal to me the most: audio and the outdoors. To me, it is at least worth considering as an option, and I thought that the friendly folk on here may be able to give me some ideas and inspiration!

Just writing this up has helped me to get a better handle on what I could do, but suggestions from others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Don't think I can help much directly but this suggestion might lead you somewhere ....

.....Radio 4 used to have (don't think it still does) some kind of wildlife recording competition. The only reason I remember it is because one year the winner was someone who had done something as simple as stuck a microphone in a cow pat and recorded the sound of bugs munching. Of course it may have been put on air on 1 April:).

Maybe (eg) a review of winners/top 3 of such competitions might lead to some conclusion on what makes a winner/how technology had changed or something

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
might be difficult to write up a whole thesis on say a willow whistle, :D but along with the history of natural man made audio devices.? (gourds, leaves, grasses, bamboo, skin, seeds etc etc.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
there's a giant xylophone in the woods near here how about making something similar and looking at the tonal qualities of different woods and/or how they change when tuned as green wood then left to dry, or the way humidity affects them after?

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Don't think I can help much directly but this suggestion might lead you somewhere ....

.....Radio 4 used to have (don't think it still does) some kind of wildlife recording competition. The only reason I remember it is because one year the winner was someone who had done something as simple as stuck a microphone in a cow pat and recorded the sound of bugs munching. Of course it may have been put on air on 1 April:).

Maybe (eg) a review of winners/top 3 of such competitions might lead to some conclusion on what makes a winner/how technology had changed or something

That's brilliant! I am quite interested in trying to capture natural sounds that often go unnoticed. When played back in a different context, the results can be very interesting. Similar to music concrete i suppose.

you thought about traditional music played by native indigenous tribes? i.e aborigines didgeridoo?

might be difficult to write up a whole thesis on say a willow whistle, :D but along with the history of natural man made audio devices.? (gourds, leaves, grasses, bamboo, skin, seeds etc etc.

These topics do interest me- I did a similar project on archaeoacoustics last year, which involved looking at acoustic analysis made on Stone Henge, ancient instruments, and cave sites. I have been considering continuing this research.

there's a giant xylophone in the woods near here how about making something similar and looking at the tonal qualities of different woods and/or how they change when tuned as green wood then left to dry, or the way humidity affects them after?

I like this- a chap in my year is doing something very similar.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions :)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Have a look at the work of Richard Long on a sensory walk. He worked the sounds heard while walking into a form of poetry, but a recording could maybe be made into a piece of music. It wouldn't have to be a walk, of course. A recording of sounds heard while sitting in a wood, on a hillside, by the sea etc could also be worked up. I'm getting carried away here: you've managed to grab my interest!

Whatever happens, I hope you'll keep us posted.

PS Stay loose, mon ami

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm thinking either sounds at close to ground level in, say, long grass, or sounds at night in a place without human traffic.

I know that when I get into a hammock for the night, rustling noises seem to start below the hammock almost instantly!

The other thing that comes to mind is 'unheard sounds', by which I mean sounds not normally audible to people. I'm thinking bat detectors here (which also works for grasshoppers, crickets, and some moths). I would imagine that depending on how you set the sensitivity range of a microphone there are all sorts of sounds out there.

Oh yes, and creaking trees - they often sound like voices.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
I agree guys- lots of very interesting possibilities to experiment with! I'm thinking of bringing some recording equipment out on my next trip to the woods and seeing what unexpected sounds I can find. I'm particularly keen to capture wildlife sounds like badgers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE