Bushcrafter or am I some moaning camper?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted 70

Hi everyone

I have been a member of the site for a long time, haven’t posted that much I have to admit.

This is going to seem like a rather strange question to ask, but rather than looking up the answer I thought it might be a good idea to get insight from the bushcraft community.

Basically my question is Bushcraft a set of “you need to do all this” to be a true bushcrafter, or is just doing some of the projects enough to be a part of the community or be classed as a bushcrafer. I will try explain what I am trying to say below, I am 24 Male and enjoy the following:

Camping
Walking
Nature
Fire Making
Taking pictures
Using knifes
Crafting
Shooting
Cooking outdoors

That’s to name but a few of the things I enjoy doing, now I see a lot of people expand on this with shooting, trapping, plucking animals etc etc. I myself don’t like to see animals shot, trapped, even though I eat meat and have no problems with doing so, or others doing it. But back to my question because I don’t do a fair amount of the, what could be classed as the main bushcraft activities does this mean technically I am unable to say I enjoy bushcrafting.

This may seem like a mass of rubbish, but somebody might understand what I am asking, or at least I hope :)

< p.s I am very new to this >

Bearclaw

Jan 9, 2007
Bedfordshire
For me, i think Bushcraft is about getting back to nature, whether thats going the whole way and living off the land etc, or just going out at weekends and walking, but keeping your eye's open for things like edible plants, animal tracks etc.

I think if you have built a fire and cooked and made a brew on it, you can class yourself as someoen who has done an element of Bushcraft.

These are my personal views, I'm sure someone will be along to either agree or beat me with a large stick. :(

Bearclaw

D

Deleted member 4605

Neo_ad said:
Basically my question is Bushcraft a set of “you need to do all this” to be a true bushcrafter, or is just doing some of the projects enough to be a part of the community or be classed as a bushcrafer.

To me bushcraft is a convenient name for an idea (or even ideal), not a set of check boxes - whether they be for kit, skills or experiences. Don't start trying to pigeon hole things - just join in and enjoy yourself.

Nobody can decide whether you are a 'bushcrafter' or not except you.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Call it what you like. The term "bushcraft" is fine as long as you don't start getting prescriptive about it, but it does seem to be starting to carry some additional "baggage".

Personally, I try not to pidgeon-hole myself. I'm not a bushcrafter - I'm a person with a wide range of skills and interests, some of which happen to relate to the topic of "bushcraft" (for want of a better word).

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I couldn't agree more. There is no set requirement or check-box for bushcraft. it's an umbrella term for many activities. In reality, bushcraft doesn't exist as a "thing".

If i'm carving a spoon i'm wood-working, if i'm carving a spoon in the woods, i'm outdoor woodworking, if I do it in a shelter I made, while sitting by a fire I lit with a bowdrill munching some food I forraged... well, i'm still wood-working :D

We all come at this from many angles, and for whatever reason you have, if you're near a bush and you're being crafty, you're a bushcrafter. Don't let anyone think they are an authority on "bushcraft" even if they are on woodwork, tracking, firecraft, cordage making etc.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am not a fan of the tearm "bushcraft" as for years what I thought was "Camping with the Scouts" Turned out to be mostly "Bushcraft"

Everybody tearms things differently

If you enjoy what you read about on this site, get out and have a go at one or two bits (It looks like you already do) and strive for self improvement in what you do, then I would say you are there!

I can light a fire by friction, Cook a hearty meal from nothing but gathered/Caught foods, Id many plants and trees, read some of the tracks of the woods. Carve a spoon/Mug/Bowl ect with my knife..... And mor importantly enjoy a brew outdoors!!!

But I dont introduce myself as Dave the Bushcrafter!!

Enjoy what you do outdoors and from time to time go outside of your comfortzone (This is the best way to learn!) But dont get to hung up on what to call the activitys you are doing!

Hope this helps!

D

Deleted 70

My question was more towards the fact I might be in the wrong place, but it seems not which is great. I just need to stop playing my computer games and get out and get back into it.

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm now 18 and have been dabbling in outdoor stuff since the age of about 8, and practicing "bushcraft" in one form or another for about 6 years. I can see where you are coming from, and to me, you certainly have the right interests. Personally, I think that there is no set of guidlines you have to abide to in order to be a bushcrafter, it's much more about enjoying the outdoors, having an appreciation of how we used to go about gathering food and living off the land etc. You certainly aren't a moaing camper, they probably wouldn't even venture anywhere near the realms of this forum!

Have fun and keep it real!

D

Deleted 70

Pignut said:
I am not a fan of the tearm "bushcraft" as for years what I thought was "Camping with the Scouts" Turned out to be mostly "Bushcraft"

Everybody tearms things differently

If you enjoy what you read about on this site, get out and have a go at one or two bits (It looks like you already do) and strive for self improvement in what you do, then I would say you are there!

I can light a fire by friction, Cook a hearty meal from nothing but gathered/Caught foods, Id many plants and trees, read some of the tracks of the woods. Carve a spoon/Mug/Bowl ect with my knife..... And mor importantly enjoy a brew outdoors!!!

But I dont introduce myself as Dave the Bushcrafter!!

Enjoy what you do outdoors and from time to time go outside of your comfortzone (This is the best way to learn!) But dont get to hung up on what to call the activitys you are doing!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the comments, like I said above I wasnt sure that the things I did and plan to do was what this site was about. I thought you had to do everything under the sun etc. I now understand this isnt the case and its great so I am sure you will see me more active around the forums :) not sure if thats a good or bad thing :)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Neo_ad said:
My question was more towards the fact I might be in the wrong place, but it seems not which is great. I just need to stop playing my computer games and get out and get back into it.

I would say that if you are learning from this site, and from time to time chip in a nugget of knowledge you are more then likely in the correct place!

Happy Camping/Bushcrafting/Moaning/Walking /Shooting/Tracking/Carving/Fire lighting/etc.....etc...etc......

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi Na,

I wouldn’t get too hung up on the word ‘bushcraft’. It’s becoming a ‘catch-all’ term to describe many types of outdoor activity and interests. And ‘bushcraft’ is, or is rapidly becoming an industry. I’m sure the irony of that will not have escaped many here.

There are a few of, what I call, ‘bushcraft fascists’ around who will tell you that bushcraft has to be ‘this’ or ‘that’.

That said, a brief attempt to try and define the situation that currently exists might be an interesting exercise to stimulate thought and debate (and this is strictly my opinion only).

1.Bushcraft: are the daily skills that are/were employed by aboriginal peoples all over the world in a pre-agricultural and pre-industrial time, in order to sustain there lives in a wild environment indefinitely. This I suspect is the purist’s view, and I have some sympathy for that.

2.Survival skills: the ability to sustain one’s life when in a wild environment or otherwise potentially life threatening situation that one didn’t expect to find oneself in for a whole variety of reasons, while waiting to be rescued (an emergency).

3.Survivalists: People who are preparing to survive some type of doomsday scenario, be it a natural calamity (think meteor hitting the Earth), or a manmade calamity (civil unrest/war etc).

4.Camping: pitching a tent on a camp site that has running water/shop/showers, and parking your car next to the tent, and using the car for trips to the nearest supermarket to re-supply (I know this is likely to be controversial :D)

5.Rough camping: Going to the woods, setting up a temporary camp, carving a spoon, a few beers round the fire with the lads (nothing wrong with that! [before I become ‘Public Enemy No1' on BCUK] :D )

6.Woodsman: Person who learns to live in a forest environment (I understand that there is no forest in the UK – which is a pity).

7.Countryman: A person who is knowledgeable and/or skilled in rural life and ways.

8.Outdoorsman: A person who like outdoor activities (but not Paragliding etc :D )

There many other categories and descriptions, I’m sure. It’s my opinion that it is the skills overlap between these categories that causes the confusion as to what is and what is not ‘bushcraft’. Also there are wide varieties to be found in practitioner’s (mainly urban/suburban dwellers) financial resources that sets limits on their activities, as do their responsibilities to others, and resources relating to time etc.

My character, for instance, is more suited (I believe) to living somewhere like the Yukon, than London. I may have the personal inner resources for that kind of life, but financial resources, amongst other things, put limits on my activities, and thus I never expect to be able to live in the bush, such as that to be found in the Yukon…which ‘sucks’ :D

Hope this helps and/or is of interest to you and others.

Best regards,
Paul.

Reactions: Deleted member 4605
D

Deleted member 4605

Good post TheGreenMan.

TheGreenMan said:
My character, for instance, is more suited (I believe) to living somewhere like the Yukon, than London.

It's not just me! Now to convince my wife...

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I don't think any two people on here have the same definition,if any definition, about what bushcraft is really. Or at any rate a thread about "what is bushcraft?" will cause no end of opinion and argument and end up with someone refusing to post again, and starting another "proper"bushcraft forum! :rolleyes:
Who cares really, its only a word. :D
At the last meet I went to we sat around the fire with a beer talking about computers and forums, most nights I am sat at the computer on a forum with a beer talking about campfires! :confused:
Judging by your interests you have found the right forum, join in, learn and if you feel confident pass on some of your skills, we are all here mainly to learn new ways/skills.
Welcome! :D

D

Deleted member 4605

TheGreenMan said:
Good luck with that! :D

Well she's warming (or should that be thawing) to my Scouting, and today she suggested this years family holiday should be camping so there's hope yet! :)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
schwuk said:
Well she's warming (or should that be thawing) to my Scouting, and today she suggested this years family holiday should be camping so there's hope yet! :)

Just emphasize the romantic possibilities of the interior of a log cabin lit by oil lamps, and omit the bits about plagues of mosquitoes and -50º :D

Best regards,
Paul.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
speaking of oil lamps this one a 4 burner i use olive oil i got 6 or 7 types like to light late at night in the shop makes one feel good the good thing is if you tip one over it will not burst into flame it go out not like a kerosene one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE