Slingshot/Catapult shooters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Slingshot/Catapult/Catty ...
Whenever I’m out I have one in my pack, camping Bushcrafting etc.

I bought one off eBay approx 8-9 years ago out of wood. When it arrived it looked awful it needed some finishing off and I felt I could do better.

So Christmas was coming up so I made a few for family and friends. Since then I’ve made quite a few basically from scrap wood and cutting from various peoples projects.

Looked at round bands but for me flat bands are the most versatile. My reasoning is quite simple, you cut them to any length any width and by tapering you can increase the speed for a given length. By choosing a lower powered band you can concentrate on accuracy and consistency. Once you have that then just add a smaller band in tandem to increase the power and distance.

Ammo, my preference is 10mm nut which I shoot into a padded box. On ebay you can buy clay ammo balls which clearly degrade without issue. Ball bearings are the best for speed but can ricochet so heads up.

Hopefully I’m able to upload a few pictures.
That is very nice work. Well done x

Reactions: Roughneck

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
i'm using pebbles because they're for free (and i'm on a low budget), but i've also a casting mould for fishing sinkers, so i could cast my own .42cal ammo, too...

there's a clip on YouTube called "carolina slingshot man" or something like this -- Rufus Hussey (=the guy featured) looked like a 60y.o. Bart Simpson and was deadly accurate using pebbles, too
mint imperials are good if you dont eat them all x

Roughneck

Mar 17, 2021
Chelmsford
I use Gold Therabands and the pouches are old leather settees that I’ve cut up, and use them for many other projects.
I do have the odd clip but can’t download them only pictures.

Attachments

• 20200417_183209.jpg
    20200417_183209.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20130803_132034.jpg
    20130803_132034.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20130803_135140.jpg
    20130803_135140.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20130803_141251.jpg
    20130803_141251.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20130807_173332.jpg
    20130807_173332.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 4

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Love to shoot a catty, make my own from a tree fork n flat bands, ammo wise steel bearing for consistency. I reload my own shotgun cartridges and tried out my Lee 00buck mould and they are best yet, weightier but smaller than the steel, far more effective. Now ‘playing" in the garden I use clay ammo, cheap off a certain on line site (large river), no ricochet, just turn to powder.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Not sure if this has ever been discussed in the past? I have recently been bitten by the Slingshot/Catapult bug. I use it for target shooting only and normally with a catch box. Anyone enjoy use a catapult/ for killing a bit of time when out and about on a camp, or more heavily into the hobby?
A word to the wise. I have fired a trillion shots without incident and was trying a different kind of pouch grip out of curiosity. It accidentally went off and the ball bearing smacked me in the back of the hand. I can't remember pain like it. It just woke me up to the need to not be complacent when handling slingshots or any other weapon or tool for that matter. x

I tried to get into this a few years back but was far too inconsistent. This guy is superhuman and his skill is unbelievable. Well worth a subscribe

i wish i'd be half as good as him, but after watching a few of his videos my accuracy seems to have slightly improved :) -- i'm still a long way from being dangerous for our local critters, though...

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
i wish i'd be half as good as him, but after watching a few of his videos my accuracy seems to have slightly improved :) -- i'm still a long way from being dangerous for our local critters, though...
i discovered a game changer recently. I was inconsistent. I went from hitting everything to not hitting a thing. My bands were all lined up, I kept the shot still, I had perfect form but I missed. I had not considered it but it turned out to be my release. Its taking a bit of time to work on it but when I get it right I can pretty much guarantee a hit, x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE