Bushcraft wood glue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
Hi all,
I'm trying my hand at making some camp stools and a table. I've had what for me is some good success using a stubby scotch eye auger to make some legs fit tight into a block of drift wood but I was wondering if there is a process that anyone knows of whereby I can make some sort of natural wood glue to help with things. 20220422_112849.jpg20220423_114703.jpgScreenshot_20220422-174811_WhatsApp.jpg

• Love
Reactions: wookii and Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'll leave others offer you glue solutions; I'm sure there will be some.

I have had success using both blind and visible wedges on my green furniture making. A blind wedge is where you make a slit in the top of the leg and insert a small wedge just a little way in. When you knock the leg into the blind hole the wedge hits the bottom of the hole first and is forced into the slit and tightens the joint (You'll probably need longer joints than in your picture). If the leg becomes a little loose as the wood seasons you can usually just give it a tap, drive the wedge further in, and tighten it.

Visible wedges are, obviously, where you've bored the hole all the way through and you drive a wedge into the end of your leg then trim and finish it.

Be a little careful if you experiment with these techniques as the wedge is quite a 'powerful' mechanical device and can split your 'seat' piece if you are over-vigorous :)

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
I'll leave others offer you glue solutions; I'm sure there will be some.

I have had success using both blind and visible wedges on my green furniture making. A blind wedge is where you make a slit in the top of the leg and insert a small wedge just a little way in. When you knock the leg into the blind hole the wedge hits the bottom of the hole first and is forced into the slit and tightens the joint (You'll probably need longer joints than in your picture). If the leg becomes a little loose as the wood seasons you can usually just give it a tap, drive the wedge further in, and tighten it.

Visible wedges are, obviously, where you've bored the hole all the way through and you drive a wedge into the end of your leg then trim and finish it.

Be a little careful if you experiment with these techniques as the wedge is quite a 'powerful' mechanical device and can split your 'seat' piece if you are over-vigorous :)
Thanks Broch
That's one I'll try on a table I'm doing next. It's a chunky slab of drift wood so I can afford to go quite deep. I camp close to a tidal estuary so there's always an interesting selection of logs and slabs washed up.

Reactions: Broch

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Mixed beeswax, pine resin and charcoal dust is a fine glue :)
Can also be based on pine tar.

One used in hereabouts was based on birch bark tar, had the wonderful name of "tökötti" (in that form it is a Russian loan). It is the dry distilled residue of various waxes in the bark.

Reactions: Murf

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I generally use about equal measures of resin and wax with a slightly smaller amount of charcoal ... but it all depends on the job of the day really ... more resin makes the mix stickier but more brittle, more wax makes it more flexible but less sticky ...
Melt it all together - the hotter the more fluid and penetrating but a cooler mix allows the glue to also act as a filler. I find it w=easy to shape the filler with my fingers without pain.
If the job needs ungluing at any point then heating it up makes the join come apart again. I also use this mix as a waterproofing mix for rawhide and plant fiber lashings :)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
When timber framing there is a method by which we use kiln dried pegs. Timber is usually still fairly green (although not enough to warp the structure as it dries) but the theory is; The bore for the peg is green and will shrink a little and the peg has such a low moisture content that it will take on some of the moisture in the beam. Once they reach equilibrium they should be pretty tight fit.

I’m sure you could employ the same technique here quite easily.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I use five minute polyurethane foamy glue for general woodworking joints. End of.

West system epoxy for serious glueing along with Titebond 3.
West system is aimed at plywood and particularly BS 1088 ply. The timber or ply must be dry.
Titebond is not so fussy. Not wringing wet mind!
PVA is another for interior work.
Watered down Titebond is also very good for knotting FYI.

Horses for courses.
S

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yes, I have a shelf of different glues too, but the OP requests ideas for natural method for securing the joints.

It's unfortunate that Hymenochaete corrugata takes so long to form; it really is a very strong adhesive :)

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
I generally use about equal measures of resin and wax with a slightly smaller amount of charcoal ... but it all depends on the job of the day really ... more resin makes the mix stickier but more brittle, more wax makes it more flexible but less sticky ...
Melt it all together - the hotter the more fluid and penetrating but a cooler mix allows the glue to also act as a filler. I find it w=easy to shape the filler with my fingers without pain.
If the job needs ungluing at any point then heating it up makes the join come apart again. I also use this mix as a waterproofing mix for rawhide and plant fiber lashings :)
Great info thanks. I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Rabbit skin glue is easy and as it can be another use for the animal that may have fed you at dinner. it is a hide glue and is brilliant when done correctly (many mistakes as a child). The glue is created by prolonged boiling of animal connective tissue, and although can be a weak bond, it goes really far, as the finished glue is a jelly.

Really it is more useful as a size, to seal rather than bond, but it does work well when combined with pegs. I used it in the past to make medieval linen windows when I didn't have bees wax. The only issue is that hide glue absorbs moisture, so mixed with an hydrophobic addition is recommended.

So a deep seated joint is best with this glue....

Last edited:

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Hide glue is very easy to make, but also softens with moisture.

I'd go with the straight up Stockholm Tar, aka Pine Tar, as a binder. While it's not technically a "glue", I think the performance would be sufficiently glue-like to get the job done. And it's what Advoko does for his gear.....

Here's a video where he shows making the tar and then using it to stick the leg tenons into the base.... just like you're doing.

Considering his level of skill and experience, I wouldn't feel at all bad about following his lead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE