Bushcraft PLCE webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi both 44" and 58" waterbottle pouch mods now done heres the whole set, (note the right side bottle is the same position as the ones either side of it, the left has a cooker crammed in with it which is why it's slightly taller)

fromcameranew018.jpg
(I'll try to find the pics).

here's my 58" compass pouch mod:
fromcameranew.jpg
(I'll try to find the pics).

I'm still thinking of making a mini poncho roll but not sure how to go about it yet.

Last edited:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Even though I posted earlier, I hadn't read all of the gumpf before hand. Personally, I wouldn't use webbing ust because I never really got on with it. Chest rigs were my favourite, kop vests also do my head in! (I still have an issue one sat upstairs that will get eBayed one day!)

I must say though, when i was in Anchor Surplus the other day, the brand new 58 Pattern Large Pack really made my eyes get a bit misty, brought back my traiing days and i wondered how the hell we got everything in to it! I was looking at the large pack and started wondering what it would look like on my LK35 frame with the yoke in place of the straps on the frame, I decided to stop right there and go no further! I think it is a canvas thing, I just love old school canvas at the moment.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yes:22:, yes....It's a common enough condition, a phrase I often use, would be well suited : (Latin)

:22:"Taburnus exercitus ornamentum diligo":22:

it means: "Cotton Army Kit love"

ahem...using an online English to Latin translator :eek: ...shhhh!
(and don't quote me, it's really poor pigeon Latin:rolleyes:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I'm moving onto my Arktis webbing set, (yup I really do have too much kit)

It's been sitting gathering dust far too long.

i've worn webbing, regular backpacks, rolled stuff in the blanket and stuffed things in my pockets.
now i use a sabercat for short stays.
it fits my needs from a day walk to a 4 day camp, including food, clothing and shelter.
fits an asus eee pc that lasts me 8 hours, so i can put up my hammock and work in the woods for a change.
and keeps my stuff nice and tight in a single bulk, cause i have this tendency to spread my stuff arround (oh, look, this branch is perfect for my higiene kit).

took me a bit to change from single packs of a webbing into the best places to store stuff on the sabercat, but in exchange i carry less stuff, cause i would just pick up my cooking bag, for instance, and hang it on the belt, thus taking along a lot of seasoning and gear i wasn't really going to use.
now i keep the gear in the pouches still, but make a selection of exactly what i'm going to pack.

but i agree it's a deeply personal thing.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
RAPPLEBOY that webbing set of you'rs is just like the stuff the SAS used in the 60's-70's.

Back when I was a cadet I used to love wearing the PLCE stuff. I used to spend hours setting it up and making it fit and hang "Just right".

I even modded it to be able to carry literally everything I needed for a whole annual camp using if I remember rightly a 58 patt poncho roll containing socks, boxers and just a couple other things - can't remember exactly, but it was everything I needed for the 3 or 4 days or whatever annual camp lasts for - I can't quite remember.
Lol.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I've sorted my Arktis webbing pouches.

DSCF2748.jpg

DSCF2749.jpg

the Grey thing on the left is a Monocular.

all but 3 of the pouches are home made, but are based on Arktis webbing.[/I]

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Simon , when loaded can you wear this via the Hip Belt without it dropping down from the weight?? I've looked at these but from the volume i would think this would benefit from Shoulder Yoke.

Is it secure just from the waist strap?

Or do you wear it over the shoulder 'handbag style' ( forgive me, seems the most apt description!!)

Just wondering.

I won't wear webbing for the woods, but I do have a Maxpedition Sabrecat...

0426.jpg

...think oversized Response Pak

Very comfy, not military looking and easy to organise.

Simon

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Simon , when loaded can you wear this via the Hip Belt without it dropping down from the weight?? I've looked at these but from the volume i would think this would benefit from Shoulder Yoke.

Is it secure just from the waist strap?

Or do you wear it over the shoulder 'handbag style' ( forgive me, seems the most apt description!!)

Just wondering.

It's very secure with just the waist belt. But having said that, I don't overload it.

I mainly use it in summer, and can easily get my overnight gear in it.

HTH?

Simon

Oct 6, 2009
N IRELAND
ive used 58 patt webbing ive used plce webbing ive used privately bought chest webbing.i dont do that job anymore so ill never were it again.sorry but this kit has no place in bushcraft.just carry your kit in a daysac.dont try to look like somthing your not!

I like my PLCE webbing and my Chest rig, yes I got them while I was serving.
I am NOT wearing it to look like some thing im not!!!!!!! frankly i couldn't care less what i look like, fasion has no place in bushcraft, anyone who thinks it has, serioulsy has bigger issues...........

I wear min because I have personally tryed and tested the system and it works FOR ME!!!!

I know what its capable of and what its not capabile of, and since I had it left over from my years in the army, it was very cost effective

Daysacks are good but they are not the oly solution, on may an occasion have gone out with just what I can Carry on my person (Admittedly some of my pockets may have been a bit Bulky) but again it worked...

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I keep thinking about getting some webbing as an alternative to a day pack because I find it very frustrating to have to remove a pack every time I want something from it. Packs are okay if you're out for a ramblers style march when you're not stopping and enjoying the countryside, but I like to really poke around when I'm out and about. With a pack I find I end up with a camera, bins, mapcase etc hanging around my neck so I have ready access to them and my pockets full of field guides and my water bottle and a almost empty day bag on my back. Perhaps this is why I spend more time in my canoe where all this stuff goes in a waterproof box with an easy open lid in front of me.

Where to start with it though? There seems to be such a huge range of options and even those who are regular users seem to have to tinker and customise it for comfort and ease of use.

This is just me thinking aloud really, but perhaps I should just go to our local surplus store and ask 'what have you got?', I have to start somewhere.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
fasion has no place in bushcraft, anyone who thinks it has, serioulsy has bigger issues........

i think youll find that for many, it does have a huge place

unless of course a "bushcraft knife" really is worth £250 when a £10 mora does as well a job

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
:nofeed:
It has to be trolling...or someone with issues themselves!
Although webbing and cammo is not to my personal taste I see nothing wrong with it and often use army surplus pouches for waterbottles, stoves Ist Aid kits myself.
If a system works for you use it - if not dont!
I see no need to be offensive about anothers "user kit"...spending a fortune on Civilian kit seems more foolhardy than getting el cheapo Army Surplus if you have a limitted budget.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I deeply resent any implication that I'm a "wannabe soldier". I have never been in any branch of the services, and I have absolutely no interest in doing so, or pretending to do so.

You don't like webbing, that's just fine - don't use it. Keep your condescension and amateur psychoanalysis to yourself, please. One might make similar observations about your apparent need to talk down to others who do things differently to you... I guess you probably are used to being flamed if that's how you normally conduct yourself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE