Bushcraft PLCE webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Molle is loops on jackets, waistcoats, rucksacks and other kit.

PLCE is a belt and yoke affair with popstuds and belt teeth.

Alice used small clippable metal clips to hold things onto.

Each has it's merits and flaws. The molles system is very customizable but can be bulky if you overload it.

PLCE is pretty much bogstandard, you can add extra pouches on the belt, yoke etc.

And alice was just like PLCE.

Thems my opinions though, i have used alice kit and hated it. Molle looks good and i'll be using it at some point but for now i'm using PLCE.

Each has it's merits and flaws, but it's all designed to do the same thing - carry kit in a variety of ways.

Dec 16, 2007
Molle has straps on the back that will fit on the strips of webbing on your pack. You are then able to put many different bits of kit depending on what you want to carry. The alice pouches have a metal sliding clip that works in the same way it was what was being used before the US moved to molle.

PLCE is mainley fit s to it's self and that bergans that say they are PLCE compatible mean that they can take the side pouches zipped to the side of the bergan so you increase the size by 20 to 30 ltrs IE berghaus Vulcan is PLCE compatible.

Hope that helps.

Bugger beat me to it.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Many thanks to both of you:).

All the web sites seem to assume that everyone knows all these things, so they don't bother to explain them. That's the first time I've heard a decent explanation of the different systems - thanks again.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
You're welcome.
I use my plce webbing from time to time. I can fit everything i need in it for a day hike of around 20 hours. If i added a small pack to it i could happily go for a trog for a few days.
Yes it looks military but it works and i use it all the time anyway so why not use what you're happy with.
Mine has 3 utility pouches and 2 twin ammo pouches.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Frankly, I'm confused by all these terms: PLCE, ALICE, MOLLE etc.
Me too, although I found this really useful video on the RvOPs website http://www.rvops.co.uk/load-carrying-77/molle-olive-113/90-degree-molle-panel-2055.html which demonstrates how to use the Molle system in nice detail.

I really like this website, especially the "Field Kit Essentials". You know its going to be good kit because it has been used by the military in far tougher conditions that I would expect on a 48 hour bimble, and teh prices are always competitive. :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
The gas mask pouch is in essence the same as the other pouches it has a few internal pockets it's slightly larger and has optional shoulder strap/waist belt(depending how it's carried.
Mine just came with two D-Rings so attaching them would be a challenge. One came as a bundle of kit from e-bay, and I bought he other one, again cheap on e-bay, when I started this rucksack project to balance out the other one. I had some idea of fitting them at the front, but didn't really think it through. Again. :)

I use one now for when I am assessing Duke of Ed. Expeditions, Geocaching or even going to a walk in the woods, and my daughter uses the other one if she joins me. They are not DPM so she is happy to use it :)

as mentioned a belt and PLCE yoke is needed, otherwise you could try fixing the pouches to a frame MOLLEE or Alice fashion, but you'll need to put some horizontal straps on your frame to carry the pouches
I might visit an actual shop for that, or even get a new one from RVOPs because many of those advertised on e-bay look more like daysack yokes and another one of those is the last thing I need!:lmao:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Mine just came with two D-Rings so attaching them would be a challenge. One came as a bundle of kit from e-bay, and I bought he other one, again cheap on e-bay, when I started this rucksack project to balance out the other one. I had some idea of fitting them at the front, but didn't really think it through. Again. :)

sounds like someone cut off the straps and belt loops/clips oh well, you could add some simple loops if you want.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I'm thinking of adding drop loops to an ALICE ammo pouch easy to remove if I want to.
I'f it works it should mean it would work on other ALICE gear perhaps even the Buttpack?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I now have the reall SAS pouches and so I'm thinking of trading in my fake ones what do you think? (as fake, I'm not going to con anyone).

these ones (just the pouches not the belt or other kit).
SASwebingpouchesseptember08fake.png

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
The hammer was to re-shape the bottle slightly (and very carefully) it now fits a dream! just the same as my 58 bottle.

It should go in upside down you know :lmao:
I've never heard of a bottle going in upside down,:rolleyes: is that a joke?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Anyone considered the Lowepro Street and Field System similar to a yoke with pouch attachments. All designed around camera's but hey on here we're all adaptable. Expensive but I thought I'd get my tuppence in after a long absence.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
The hammer was to re-shape the bottle slightly (and very carefully) it now fits a dream! just the same as my 58 bottle.

I've never heard of a bottle going in upside down,:rolleyes: is that a joke?

Nope. When on tabs etc we put our cups in first then the bottle goes in upside down. Saves faffing about with the cup when you can just grab your bottle and have a quick drink.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
That all makes sense, I guess you make sure the bottle isn't leaky first!;)

I remember during my TA training we had the issue 58 gear and I got hold of a US water bottle pouch for the same reason! couldn't get the cup in though:(

just a thought if the bottle is upside down it reduces chances of the water freezing in the lid too!:)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I used to do tha with my '58 webbing when I went through training, mainly because once the water bottle carrier got wet, you couldn't get the cup out without slashing the pouch to bits! Them was the days indeed, gasping for water and not being able to get to it, or needing two of your mates to help you do up the belt 'cos it has shrunk so much! Thank god for roll pin belts! :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I used to do tha with my '58 webbing when I went through training, mainly because once the water bottle carrier got wet, you couldn't get the cup out without slashing the pouch to bits! Them was the days indeed, gasping for water and not being able to get to it, or needing two of your mates to help you do up the belt 'cos it has shrunk so much! Thank god for roll pin belts! :D

Just before my Recruit Cardre( at Bassingborne)knowing we'd be doing a fair bit of running with kit ect, I'd taken off the standard metal 58" belt clips and replaced them with a huge Rucksack plastic one, the working staff didn't like it as it wasn't uniform, the let me keep it though. I think by then I was also using a US buttpack and I'd also sewn DPM fabric on the rear pouches too!
I once went too far and fixed the yoke and used US ALICE ammo pouches instead of the 58 issue, My mates were well impressed with my ingenuity and wanted to do the same, well we went on the range started with the procedures standing in a line we had to hold the rifle in left hand (SA80)and load a magazine, which would normally take a few seconds, well...I couldn't get the blummen magazines out!
I was told quite swiftly to "Never use them again"! :eek::eek:

Oh well you live and learn!:lmao:

ah, the days before PLCE! :rolleyes:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
arfter using the same pouches in the same place for some time, and always fustrated the way they move around I'm going to sew them together (just on the corners).

I did consider fixing poppers Arktis style but it would involve more sewing and would cost a bit.

what do you reckon a few elastic straps for camo?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi i'm off sick, so doing a few mods,
here's my first, 1944 waterbottle pouch, never quite hangs in the right place, too low if worn as per 58 pattern, on the belt, hangs to high if next to SAS low ride loops, solution?
SAScut-downbeltorder001.jpg
(I'll try to find the pics).

put SAS type loops on the water bottle pouch.
SAScut-downbeltorder002.jpg
(I'll try to find the pics).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE