Bushcraft PLCE webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I did a 1-off the other day, I usually carry a rucksack (with my webbing in) to take and pick up my kids from school, (my daily attempt at fitness:eek:) in winter I use my PLCE Bergen, and in summer now my Large ALICE pack, recently on collecting my Son and Daughter she was feeling ill, due to the heat, I didn't have any transport and wifey was shopping with the car (mobile switched off :bluThinki).

after a sit down in the shade and lots of drinks she felt a little better but still was very lathargic and wanted a carry home (about 1k) which was a problem as I was carrying my rucksack(with SAS webbing in) for weight.
....well shes 5, quite little and she'd easily fit sat in my bag....hmm. easier than carrying her in my arms and she'd enjoy it...what the hell...

I've heard of the SAS/PARA and the ALICE pack frames on occasion being used to carry injured soldiers when a stretcher wasn't available, and My daughters much smaller!
most of the other kids and parents had already gone home, so got out my webbing put it on and popped her in the ALICE large pack, and carried her home she loved it and my webbing worked well distributing some weight around and going some way to supporting the bag.

no one noticed my webbing as if anyone did look they were looking at my daughter in the bag waving back:lmao:

by the time I'd got home she was feeling much better, and we'd got home in half the time it would have taken if she'd walked.

Webbing to the rescue again!!;)

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Next time, wear your webbing outside her school, see how long it takes for the police to turn up. If all clear, try and fit her into a utility pouch.

Then post pics. :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I use one of my home made SAS pouches slung over my shoulder with a piece of paracord (like a resi bag) to collect great willowherb(down/seeds)the other day, worked well!:D

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Found a place on MSN live Search the other day. I followed the river course along the map to within a mile of a car park, and spent the evening in front of two swans and two signets. I just got out of the car, stuck on my webbing with the heavy stuff, then a 35litre rucksack, and off I went. Went past quite a few folk, not one batted an eye lid.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've just managed to get 5 brand new original 90 pattern utility pouches (the ones with D rings on) so now I can have just the utility pouches on the belt with the yoke connected directly to them- no need for small ammo pouches anymore.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That reminds me - anyone know where to get PLCE clips? Basically just a little thing with a pop-stud, a stiffener bar, and an A-ring, to attach the yoke to without needing a pouch with an A-ring in the right place? I've heard such a thing exists, but never been able to find any...

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
try www(dot)ukkitmonster(dot)com
they used to sell the A-ring type. they now seem to stock a version which uses a loop of webbing with a sort of flat loop at one end, and a D-ring at the other.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
It sound's like they'd be quite easy to make.

I made something similar, so i could still use a yoke with drop pouches.
DSCF2949.jpg

if you look closely at where the front of the yoke atatches to the belt, it's a different colour, i made up the straps like 58 belt clips with a D ring on a strap. they work well, and help stop the pouches sliding along the belt too.

Last edited:

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I use a loop of paracord that goes around the belt, and through one of the tunnels on the back (for the tabs on the back of the pouches).
works well, and doesn't need any sewing!

Jul 24, 2009
Spital, Wirral
More fool the people who DON'T wear webbing for certain outdoor ventures because they're too busy worrying about what other people think of them! they'll never know the advantages of webbing over rucksacks..trapped in they're world of convention and fashion and needing constant approval. I go outdoors to get away from all that and remember what and who I AM and that doesn't involve other peoples opinions. I wear rucksacks and/or webbing depending on my venture and circumstance and i wouldn't have it any other way. there's a reason why the military have used belt order for many years.................

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:You_Rock_:You_Rock_:35:
Well said!!!:D

as I've said before there shouldn't be a problem with it, read the begining of this thread and you'll see some good pro's and con's!

I can't see myself not using webbing in the future.;)

Jul 24, 2009
Spital, Wirral
I have EVERY intention of continuing to use webbing it's functional, versatile, spreads the weight, allows water and equipment to be got at easily and allows the air to your back in summer (among many other pros). but most of all i use it because IT WORKS and that's more important in the wilderness/up mountains and god knows where else than what it LOOKS like, or prehaps i'm missing the point of this website....???!!!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:D I managed to get a canvas Drop Knife pouch the other day,
Identical to the kit that Survival aids made(or bought) years ago under the label SAS webbing.

It looks the same hangs the same amount same stitching etc as my other Genuine SAS pouches:D
I'd be surprised if it was ever issued it would seem too easy to loose the knife as it's open topped, though i noticed on a photo of a British WW2 soldier they wore pen knives hanging off the belt just forward of the as a bayonet position, I suppose I'll never know:rolleyes:

shame of it is...i don't have a knife to fit it:eek:

it does fit a MOD penknife very well (the silver type, i only bought it a it was cheap, a really poor tool, no grip and square corners!
shame I can't get my Gerber multi-tool in it.

H

He' s left the building

There is clearly some peeps who may want to avoid military style webbing, so I thought it might be useful to signpost to this new stuff: http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/Warrior_Advanced_PLB_Belt.html

The obvious advantages are that it can be configured in several different ways and doesn't look too OTT/military.

Looks like it may be useful to carry a water-bottle at the centre/rear (in the small of the back) with any combo of utility pouches either side to keep the weight balanced.

I can comfortably carry a decent kit in my shoulder-bag/grab-bag, no doubt those who prefer a belt-kit may find this suitable as well, I'm tempted to try a belt myself as I think it would provide good lumbar support and weight distribution?

(no link with retailer, I have recently bought a webbing grab-bag and so keep an eye on their other stuff, I've signposted to their website a couple of times but I don't work for them I promise!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE