Bushcraft PLCE webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Now your talking like a true bushcrafter quietly moving around unnoticed
yup, so Bushcrafters can creep up on grannies! :rolleyes:

Webbing is such a minefield of opinions in the Bushcraft area!

Could southerly and Harley tell us what they carry when on duty(other than ammo)?
Ideas are always helpful!

I'd love to see Ray Mears wearing webbing just to see what people would say! :yikes: ;)

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
No probs, although its not very exciting, and as i left five years ago sop's might be a bit different, but other than Magazines and a rifle cleaning kit, i'd have two water bottles and a few packs of pury tabs, metal cup,spoon, small ezbit burner(about half the size of a hexi cooker), two main meals, brewkit containing as many coffee and sugar sachets as i could lay my hands on, oat biscuits again as many as i could get. and a smallish first aid kit, only for little cuts and big wounds i.e plasters and ffd. the extras i'd dispers about myself are a field telephone tapping kit(two lenghts of d10 and a couple of saftey pins). tourch with red filter. soft hat either a boonie or a wooly one, depending on the weather.a therad bobbin with lengths of different coulerd ribbon for model making for orders. things i'd never take are non dairy whitener,boiloed sweets as they would end up stuck to some thing.I didn't really carry any kind of survival kit or knifes as i had a bayonet and a leatherman which did for most thing, or if abroad some kind of enviroment specific knife like a mod survival or golok. there were other bits that no one here wouod be interested in like plasticuffs and stuff. hope this helps.:)

O and it's Southey not Southerly. cheers dude!;)

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
I'd love to see Ray Mears wearing webbing just to see what people would say! :yikes: ;)

Ray and his crew are in several episodes using standard issue water-bottle pouches on their belts, which is the most appropriate use of military webbing for most bushcraft outings (the full ensemble of pouches and harness are not generally required, but I do admire your flair for collecting and assembling old gear!).

The most recent Soldier magazine has this feature http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/mag/feature9.htm which displays current standard issue gear. Of note - the 23 pouches issued are all designed for specific ammunition types with the exception of Command gear (compass, notepad, etc), Medical and Water-bottle.

In truth, the content and configuration of pouches and gear carried is dependent on task and is deliberately contained within the commanders briefing (Orders), there is no standard list as such.

I did quote (possibly on another thread?) that the minimum individual load (irreducable) is currently 39 kilos, if I had access to the source reference, I am fairly certain that reproduction here on a public forum may be frowned upon (for commercial/information security reasons). That said, if I redacted the sensitive stuff (electronics, ammunition scales, etc) then the remainder would be... ... ... compass, notepads, medical and water-bottle; which could easily be carried in two or three belt pouches thus making all of the other gubbins somewhat redundant for anyone but the combat soldier.

My own personal view is that the average bushcrafter would be well equipped with no more than four belt pouches for all those small items and a small day pack for bulkier items such as tarp, stove and clothing. I would advise against any rear pouches - too small for wetproofs and warm layers and in any case to access rear pouches you would need to remove the webbing and would therefore be better off just having a day pack instead. The old 'living out of the webbing for 24 hours' dit much beloved by recruit instructors is unworkable for many reasons and would be rubbished by any soldier with current operational experience (not having a snipe at any other users, apologies in advance if I appear arrogant or blunt!).

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I've managed to collect and put together a full set of 58":cool:

358webbingasworninTAoutside.jpg

Here I added another poncho roll to the top/back of the large pack to hold my hammock.

and the inside.
358webbingasworninTAinside.jpg

note all the bits of metal potential for lots of sores!

I wore the set(as seen) to a recent Bushcraft meet, just really for fun, and it was really comfy.....naah, it was awful, very heavy bulky, difficult to adjust difficult to get kit in or out of.
The large pack if worn as shown correctly , to get at something in the large pack you have to undo:
cross straps (2 buckles! the cross-straps would hold a helmet)
spade/pick helve.
and 2 more lid straps (2 buckles!)
and 2 inner straps usually done up with cord or string.

to get in to a PLCE Bergen? 2 fastex clips and a draw-cord...hm, a tad quicker! ;)

it did rain but even though my webbing kit was under cover it still absorbed some water and the buckles became difficult to undo.

Fun for bushcraft, awful for fighting in!

The 58" I was issued back in 91 was in very poor condition, I had to sew holes and fix buckles etc before I could use it!
soon after joining I got rid of the kidney pouches, swapped it for a US Canvas butt pack, and sat a US waterbottle pouch on the left side next to the Resi pouch.
I also used 2 bungees to hold in place a net scarf and stop the pouches bouncing.
above my kidney pouches I carried a shop bought Waterproof DPM, NBC roll.

Last edited:

woodville

Apr 11, 2011
Gloucetsershire
I've been looking for some decent PLCE webbing everywhere, but I can only find really expensive stuff. What you have would be perfect for my personal use. Any info on where you got it from?

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
don't forget to post the photo's when you're done!

A YEAR!! - can't quite belive it's been that long since I thought about knocking this up... but there you go.

Idea was:- an ordinary belt with velcro stiched round the inside, then pouches made with adjustable 'hoops' of corresponding velcro to be attached to belt, to be completely adjustable/ removable/ interchangable. then some sort of harness/sholder straps to hold the belt up and attach other stuff/ bigger bag to the back.

Right a couple of photo's..

P1010293.jpg

Starting at the back and working anti-clockwise

big thing at the back = something to sleep in - silk liner, fleece liner, sleeping bag, mat, ground sheet, all rolled up & put in cylindrical canvas bag - sits just above me bum.
Blue thing
= 3mx3m cheap tarp.
waterproof top.
pouch for water bottle.
another pouch with water bottle in.
waterproof trousers.
Tarp hanging kit- bungies, bits of string, pegs.
Hammock.

Looking from side

P1010296.jpg

Looking form other side

P1010298.jpg

Close up of belt

P1010302.jpg

'tarp hanging kit'

P1010303.jpg

contains ridgeline/ other bits of string, pegs, bungies. closes on itself with zip.

In progress at the minute / over the last year or so / still to be started. 1, pouches for x3 billy cans - for cooking and food storage. These will sit on top of sleeping bag roll. 2, flat pack wood stove/ fire box, maybe when flat will sit under billy cans/ on top of sleep roll. 3, larger rucksack for clothes.

Well that was a looong post, hopefully not bored the pants off too many people.​

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive just started using plce webbingfor one simple reason carrying water,i do mostly coastal camping with very little to no water source, i take alot of water with me(i drink alot) i used to carry it all in my pack but getting down steep cliffs with 10l on your back aint fun,ive found carrying it in pouches round my waist much more comfy,so i have 6 utility/waterbottle pouches with a brit bottle in each round my waist,the rest in my pack is bearable, i dont go where there are people so i dont care what i look like wearing it.

Ffin72

Jul 21, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Dragon supplies have been mentioned a few times in this thread, but on ARRSE the preferred supplier of bespoke beltkit is Troopers of Colchester. Troopers finally have a website that lets you build a set online to see how long the pad will be and how much it will cost. They also offer OD and black as options, and seem a little cheaper that Dragon. I'll post pictures when I get my set.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Just wondering, with a rucksac you can have kit within a drybag inside the main compartment but with webbing/plc each pouch would need waterproofing ? Apart from ration packs and water, most needs waterproofed ?

Nick

PS I would like to get one of these but how waterproof would it be ? Just noticed on wikipedia that the webbing pouches are dbl layer and rubberised so showerproof ?

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Anyone taken the brave step of using an assault vest?

I have an Arktis one, and it fits great with my main 3 day sack (5.11 72 hour Pack) but it looks bloody tragic! A shame, as for me it's by far the most comfortable way to transport day kit and rations for a few hours bimble around when I dont want to take the main bag with me. It just looks so..well... :(

Lets just say I only take it when I know I'm going places I've got sod all chance of bumping into anyone :)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I do agree with you billyblade
They are useful
And you do look tragic in one

and even if you dont use a camo one you look like some kind of failed paparrazzi wannabe

Its a damn shame

Cheers
Nick

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Anyone taken the brave step of using an assault vest?

I have an Arktis one, and it fits great with my main 3 day sack (5.11 72 hour Pack) but it looks bloody tragic! A shame, as for me it's by far the most comfortable way to transport day kit and rations for a few hours bimble around when I dont want to take the main bag with me. It just looks so..well... :(

Lets just say I only take it when I know I'm going places I've got sod all chance of bumping into anyone :)

I am tempted to get myself one of those Swiss Army smocks, if you want to stand out from the crowd Alpenflage is the camo for you, Flecktarn is so yesterday :)

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
I've managed to collect and put together a full set of 58":cool:

Here I added another poncho roll to the top/back of the large pack to hold my hammock.

and the inside.
358webbingasworninTAinside.jpg

note all the bits of metal potential for lots of sores!

Wow, reminds me of my cadet days... glad I've had better kit issued since. I feel for those who had to use this kit in the Falklands.. On this subject, I just bought a 44' pattern sheath for someone who was looking for it. Turns out he is no longer looking for it... :(

Dec 16, 2012
London
You can get black webbing which MAY be less conspicuous, I can use whatever is issued to me in the ATC: 100l bergen, 33l bergen or PLCE.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Actually, none of this is relevant to the soldier, planning assumptions are that the soldier will never jettison the daypack, as the most important gear is carried by that means for land operations (ammunitions, radios and specified patrol equipments).

Food and cooking gear is rarely if ever carried in webbing. The webbing is worn beneath armour, it is not viable to strip that off to retrieve equipment from rear pouches and food does not have to be urgently accessible - hence the importance of the daypack (which would not be jettisoned).

Traditional webbing gear may be redundant for the soldier but is ideal for the average bushcrafter, as gregorach has intimated.

Nonsence !!

as Southy said, webbing is always on top of body armour, it would be foolish to wear it any other way, the new battle belts are attached differently than only S95 webbing, however not everyone wears them. Inside your webbing should be ammo, water and food, anything else is a waste, some have a small cooker and weapon cleaning kit. Day sacks are ditched if need be and you survive on your fighting order.

With new osprey body armour that has mollie loops on no one really wears webbing, some use the battle belt other attach their fighting order to their vest and carry the rest in a day sack. Keeping in mind after an IED strike it may result in you being on your toes without a daypack, hence the need to be able to survive 24 hrs on your fighting order, IE armour.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE