Bushcraft & Fears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao::lmao:

Sorry, white nightgown :rolleyes:
We soften white linen chemises by wearing them as nightgowns and washing them lots.
I got caught outside the garden, alongside the burn that runs along the side fence of our house, in the middle of the night, trying to talk the cat down from a huge sycamore that she'd bolted up when chased by the fox :eek:

But, you see, it was very misty that night, and all the poacher saw was a banshee in the mist calling, "Come on, come on down to me" in kind of beguiling tones :rolleyes:
Not realising I was only trying to untree the damned cat :D he bolted in a panic :rolleyes: :eek: :D

cheers,
Toddy

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Fear while bushcrafting? Really?
I sometimes get scared of falling to my death while trying to navigate down from a ridgeline, but that's about it.
I'm more terrified driving in crazy traffic than I am in the bush.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I thought a goonie was a kid that went searching for the treasure of a comically named pirate, the name of which could not be repeated on a family friendly forum!

"Heeeeeyy yooouuuuuu guuuuuuuuys!"

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I thought a goonie was a kid that went searching for the treasure of a comically named pirate, the name of which could not be repeated on a family friendly forum!

"Heeeeeyy yooouuuuuu guuuuuuuuys!"

Oh boy, it's been 25 years and I only just got that :lmao:

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Nothing much to be scared of in the UK.... but if I was bushcrafting in the US, that would be another story. And I'm not talking about the bears and the mountain lions and the wolves. No, I'd be scared stiff of all those trigger happy bushcrafters ("survivalists" or whatever they call themselves over the pond) going round with guns.

So I think I'll stay this side of the pond

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
What on Earths a goonie? I googled it and came up with this:

300px-KennerBird1.JPG

It don't look scary to me.

Wahahahahahahahaha :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hope this helps,
all feedback appreciated, as is my first guide.
Ph34r

What are you talking about?
Wild camping in the UK is relatively safe
Walking the streets of a city after 10 pm is much more dangerous
leave the cod psychology to the magazines please
This is not a survivalistst forum we are simple folk
There are no Zombies out there
Thanks

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Hells Bells, Goonie-Birds look strange enough as it is, why do they wear those.

300px-Littlebird1969.jpg

This S. Lanarkshire sounds like a damned strange place to go visit. Where people have no tellys, eat tablet and have these things wearing nighties.

Last edited:

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
I had a weird experience while on the Bushcraft Fundamentals course.

It was the first night out in a bivvy bag and I'd just settled down for the night and just got the most horrible claustrophobia attack. I should mention it was my first time camping (let along bivving under a tarp) and I had my extra wide thermarest mat in the bivvy bag - because it was the wide version it felt like I was in a straight jacket and I couldn't even bend my knees properly in it. I laid there for about 2 hours with my brain telling my body to stop freaking out and relax. Finally I decided I just wanted some sleep and got out and walked back to my tent and slept fine.

The next night out (away from my 'safe' tent) I simply put the thermarest straight on the floor rather than in the bivvy bag. It only freed up a couple of inches but it made all the difference. Thing is I've never had any feelings of claustrophobia before, I'm not afraid of the dark, or the forest etc, which is why that first night freaked me out so much. Just goes to show you that unfamiliar surroundings (and tight bivvy bags!) can sometimes have a dramatic effect.

Needles to say I now go for square shaped sleeping bags - ditto bivvy bags! Can't beat a good nights sleep. God knows what I'd be like in a snow shelter!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE