Bushcraft & Fears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Bushcraft, if done in certain ways, can invoke fear.
Whether this be Vertigo, acrophobia, claustrophobia or even nyctophobia, it can endanger your mental state, and therefore effectiveness in the bush.

It is important you conquer these fears, however insignificant they are.

1. Analyse the fear - Is it logical? Is it based on an earlier experience?

If your fear is based on a childhood experience, think when and why it happened. Face it, you are probably stronger physically and mentally than before. This mixed with a basic survival instinct will pull you through certain situations.

2. Thought - Don't think negatively. Do not even think "i will not die", instead think more positively: "I will survive". Think about what you will do when you get back into your zone of comfort.

3. You are a bushcrafter. You now how to deal with these situations. The human race is one of the most adaptable ever. We have developed machines and new materials. WE WILL NOT BE STOPPED BY FEAR.

Hope this helps,
all feedback appreciated, as is my first guide.
Ph34r

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not sure how that really applies to bushcraft, that sounds more like a paranoid survivalist mantra to me.

Bushcraft is more about enjoying the situation rather than wanting to get out of there.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
It helps to have the mental strength and knowledge to overcome any fears you might have, whatever they may be. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

when im out in the woods in at my most stress free lowest fear level

:cool:
then again we used to walk the new forest at night with dark glasses on after an hour its amazing how bright it is :D

ATB

Duncan

actally hes right the wost fear is wondering if that bottle of beer you just took out he dark crate is the last one :eek::eek::eek:

I do occasionaly get a paranoid thought that something is stalking me and is going to get me from behind in the night, you just have tell yourself "Don't be silly" and go for a look around to ease your mind, especially on the first night out and its been a while since I was last out.

I think its just natural to be wary in unfarmiliar areas and situations but when you settle and 'tune in' your fine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
lol, i do not get scared in the woods at night. I am just saying that fears can often prevent you from achieving things you want to in bushcraft.

You mean like I know that the fungi I want is fifteen feet up a Birch tree, and the only way it's coming down is either I bring down the whole tree or I climb the tree, and I know I'm a little lady of what society determines is really beyond tree clambouring up age, and I'm feart I get caught up that tree ?? :rolleyes: and some iijit phones the firebrigade, and my husband and sons and uncle and brothers get on my case over it :eek:
Or do you mean like Andybysea and his neighbours advice about a good route down a sheer cliff face ? :eek:

Sometimes fear's a good thing :)

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am a big bad "Mill File" with an axe and two knives, burning brands and a heavy wooden staff to hand...I am not the one who should be scared!
Mind you ...mild paranoia is a survival instinct!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What on Earths a goonie? I googled it and came up with this:

300px-KennerBird1.JPG

It don't look scary to me.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
thats survival psychology, commonly called the will to live.

id say modern humans are far from adaptable, in fact since the industrial revolution, we are hugely unadaptable, we create things to adapt our environment to us, we certainly dont adapt to the environment anymore

its this loss of trad skills of living, that i think is in part, responsible for the recent vogue in survival/bushcraft skills, the sudden realisation that actually, we are fubar'd without our gas cookers, mobile phones and water on tap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE