bushcraft and survival mag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I was given a free one from one of the writers, I used to work for (years ago),
on the spot I saw the price and the adverts and vowed never to buy it!

I wonder if he was trying to "big himself up" as he was on the front cover and an article about him in it!
he had a couple of boxes of the magazine to sell at a local show,
he didn't sell a single copy at a busy outdoor show, over 2 days!:lmao:
it never pays to be proud!;)
nice fella though.

I say:
bring back Survival weaponry and Techniques!
John Fenna, can you pull any strings?

Last edited:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I understand the concern and support of Dave (can't believe they dropped you myself :eek: ), but it's one of two bushcraft style magazines out there so we're not really spoilt for choice.

So, instead of bemoaning how crud it is (simple answer is not to buy it :rolleyes: ) or trying to bring back a magazine that we grew up with, why not get together and try to do a periodical yourselves?
There's plenty of experience on here to actually pull it off on an amateur basis ie like no glossy cover, pages, etc.
Proper articles not copies of books or anything but stuff real people do?

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Dave
I have met you a few times. And when I find a real job again plan on buying a knife from you. I like the idea of maybe You and John Fenna and a few others on here starting a no frills mag. I think there are many members here alone that would jump at the chance to have a subcription. Good luck and you might find you are better off.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
ok but tonys was the best ever but some printing skank took his money and ran so if a group did get together i think it would omly be fair to include tony in the loop cos other wise your sh*tt**g on a mate cos with out him we all and the knowledge thats here wouldnt exist

drew

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I will see what I can do...I am not sure how many of the writers /editorial staff are still alive!

Off the top of my head I can remember Greg Payne, Peter Moore, John Haw, Robert Waddington, Dr Nicolas Francis and Bill Pilkington!

I'm still trying to collect volumes 7 and 8!

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Off the top of my head I can remember Greg Payne, Peter Moore, John Haw, Robert Waddington, Dr Nicolas Francis and Bill Pilkington!

I'm still trying to collect volumes 7 and 8!

i have most of the SWAT/SAOT magazines, which years were 7&8? Back to the subject of dave being crapped on, you were not gettin paid any way so stuff Simon Ellar AND HIS KIDDIE MAG!!!!! I will stop moaning about my BCUK magazine subscription money now i know that Tony was ripped off!

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Vol 7 is Nov '91 - Oct 92, Vol 8 is Nov 92 - Oct 92. I'm also missing about half of Vol 5.

It's always a brilliant read and takes me back to my teenage years. A heady mix of informative articles, cold war paranoia, cheap survival knives and British eccentricity. It probably explains a lot about my love of Chris Reeve knives!:D

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I think I got them mags! i know what you meen mate i love chris reeve knives i got 8 of them! i also have a Rob Parrish survival knife, bet that takes you back!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Dave,

Rather than worry about magazine articles, how about doing a book?

You could do blacksmithing/metal work using old forging techniques, basing it mainly on UK skills/products.

There's clearly a market (albeit small) for this type of thing and plenty of people on the forum seem to enjoy a bit of metal bashing.

Could do two sections: one on metal production and theory, heat treatment, etc. Then a section on manufacturing, ie, a few simple tools. That way, people could either start from first principles or just jump in at the manufacturing stage.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
i would love that! went to a railway centre today and cadged a bit of old track to sort out as an anvil. just need a wok and few bits and then..... well i havent a clue what to do then!

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
The bushcraft mags are all crap. They always have been! Sheewees and other nonsense, they are kit magazines because there are only so many times you can cover the main basic skills. Forums are better as you gain the insight from other peoples' experiences. Courses are good too as you get proper instruction from people who have done it over and over again. Even if you think you know it, a course will teach you something, and maybe alternative ways of doing something you have already mastered.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE