bushcraft and survival mag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Sad day for the magazine, and for me. They have decided that the magazine is 'evolving' and so after something like two years, they no longer want me to write for them :(

They wouldn't say who is going to be the new sharps writer, but I hope it is somebody competent and not just a one-trick-pony gobsite. Though I suspect they will tow the company line better than I would ever consider and I'm sure the magazine won't miss me calling them to complain about some misprinting or other editing error :deal:

So, any magazine editors out there looking for a new writer? :D :fishing:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dammit man - you were the best read in there!
Not that I read it often as the cover price was nowhere near value for money (despite your contributions!)
Write a book mate - it will be a best seller!

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Have you tried contacting the Outdoor Adventure Guide...
Might not be a regular thing but i am sure they would go for an article/ feature.
Let me know if you want their contact details

J

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Have you thought about the airgun or shooting magazines? There are a couple of new airgun mags which IMO are aimed at more mature/sensible readers. Think "Sporting Shooter" might rum a bushcraft type feature on a regular basis. Shooting Sports always has articles on knives.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I haven't touched the bushcraft mags since I don't know when. thin they're a bit pants to be fair! You're probably best out of it, but you may miss the beer tokens!

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
That's a shame. They must be planning on spending the money saved on EVEN MORE FLIPPIN' ANNOYING GRAPHICS to distract us from the text.

:)

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I'm sure the magazine won't miss me calling them to complain about some misprinting or other editing error :deal:

Couldn't agree more, I sometimes wonder if it's even proof read because the editing can be shockingly bad. I read one issue that made me wince repeatedly with statements like "I could of done it". Your stuff was always extremely readable. It's a shame.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
thanks guys:grouphug:

They used to (and have just reverted to) swap articles for advertising space, which suited me ok. They did start paying writers for a while when it got into WHSmiths, but they couldn't organise who got paid what for each article (pish up and brewery), so they stopped doing that after a handful of editions :rolleyes: So its not a case of getting a cheaper person to write it.

I suspect the final straw might've been when I phoned up as soon as the latest issue came through to complain about a whole bunch of things that they had got completely wrong and directly affected me :nono: my message was going to be passed on to the eitor when he got in, but I never received a reply. Nex thing I know it's Dear John... :sadwavey:

Still nevermind eh.

This may well be an opportunity in disguise.

Instead of trading your talents for a few quids worth of advertising space you can use the time to put together a proper book - one that would complement / draw on your courses would be a great idea - theres at least 4 good books worth of info there for starters.

Go on, get some badger ale in ya, get a plan and get writing! ;)
Amazon awaits!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I wouldn't worry about it Dave. It just repeats itself ad infinitum and fluffs over most things in order not to offend any minority that may be offended.. on the off chance... just in case. The magazine used to skim the surface of subjects, now it barely does that. Maybe they dropped you because you didn't have one of those gumpy pictures of yourself grinning inanely from behind a branch that the others have :D

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thats a bugger, without Daves articles it's just coffee table fodder. It was pretty borderline me buying it at that price anyway so I won't bother in future!

All the best

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE