bushcraft and survival mag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
These special interest magazines are a marketer's dream, akin to buying a copy of the yellow pages.
It may well be a blessing in disguise. I'm sure your talents will be better appreciated/received elsewhere.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I dunno if they used to pay you, but if so then I'd say it's 'cause they've found someone to do it for nowt.

probably more to the point eh buddy lol, i think you will find that your not the only one thats not doing it any more Dave, no loss to you fella there was only ever a couple of thing in it worth reading and your bit was one of them.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I am glad that magazines like B&S are in high street shops - allows one to 'spontaneously' access one's hobby and gives a respectable face to it.
But I seldom buy B&S. I think I've bought just three issues since it's been in WHSmith. But I like the fact it's there.
And I like the quality of the production - all glossy with loads of pictures. I think that may draw new people into it.
My main gripe with the magazine, though, is the quality of the articles. This is in no way disparaging to the contributors, but it is the fault of the editorial team/owners of the magazine. Who probably can't do much about it anyway.
I find the articles too insubstantial and trivial to be of any real use. They are far too short. I can see why. I used to work in publishing, so I can guess very easily at the pressures - cost! Not the cost of paying the writers, but the cost of putting out the magazine. Compared to magazines such as Loaded and Heat and a myriad of others, I would have thought B&S would be lucky to sell 4,000-5,000 copies per issue. And that doesn't bring in much revenue to cover overheads. So they have to go overboard on the advertising, which encroaches into space given over to articles.
It's a vicious circle.
Like I say, I'm glad it's there, but I just don't buy it.
Wasn't it like that with Woolworths?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i got a two year subscription for christmas so have only had a few but i have to say that dave yours have been the most interesting. i fear and hope not that 'evolving will me more adverts and kit reviews - both of which have very little to do with bushcraft:(

pete

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
thanks guys:grouphug:

They used to (and have just reverted to) swap articles for advertising space, which suited me ok. They did start paying writers for a while when it got into WHSmiths, but they couldn't organise who got paid what for each article (pish up and brewery), so they stopped doing that after a handful of editions :rolleyes: So its not a case of getting a cheaper person to write it.

I suspect the final straw might've been when I phoned up as soon as the latest issue came through to complain about a whole bunch of things that they had got completely wrong and directly affected me :nono: my message was going to be passed on to the eitor when he got in, but I never received a reply. Nex thing I know it's Dear John... :sadwavey:

Still nevermind eh.

See! they even got yer name wrong, Dave. :)

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Sorry to hear that Dave but that magazine was on the way down hill for me anyway. Just recycling the same articles, your better off out of it mate.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Everything happens for a reason Dave... They are indeed taking a new direction..... "downhill" ! I have to reflect what some others are saying though. These are just some of the book titles by Dave Budd that come to mind......
"Knifemaking A beginners guide"
"Knife Care and Maintenance"
"Advanced knifemaking"
"The Forest Forge"
"Bondage Kit for beginners" :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The 'branch grinning' individual that I think you are referring to is actually a very talented bushcraft individual-I've seen him at work...makes a good knife and is a BCUK member too.

There are too many people who have contributed to the magazine over the years grinning through branches for you to make an assumption that I was referring to just one individual... I wasn't. I was just light-heartedly commenting on the cheesy pictures they have, not at all being derogatory to the article writers themselves, but to cheer Dave up.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
sorry to hear that you have been s*** on by that magazine Dave, your not the first and you will not be the last! we all know you and know you are a top bloke and dont deserve that treatment, i subscribed to the magazine from the word go and was very happy to support it but it never really yanked my crank if you know what i mean, I, like most bushcraft enthusiasts want to learn new stuff but when they are asking for that kind of money for glossy adds, revamped skills and chidlrens stories then i had to let my subscription lappse. i had subscribed to the BCUK mag which was far better and aimed at male bushcrafters (like me!), still waiting for it ! thats not on either! you were quick enough to take my money! i now subscribe to 'the bushcraft magazine' i hope i get better luck with that.

Mang

Settler
under what username?

I think I'll let him post that if he wants...he may want to be incognito!

There are too many people who have contributed to the magazine over the years grinning through branches for you to make an assumption that I was referring to just one individual... I wasn't. I was just light-heartedly commenting on the cheesy pictures they have, not at all being derogatory to the article writers themselves, but to cheer Dave up.

Fair enough.

I must admit to still being surprised at Dave not being included anymore but as regards the content I guess they can't really win because of the spectrum of skills and needs of potential readers.

Last edited:

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
I have just taken the plunge and bought the current issue for some of its articles, i.e. curing and tanning rabbit skins. Now, I thought we all like to practice the old school ways of doing things, you know, generally meaning the hard way with minimal input of modern equipment available, at minamal cost and damage to the earth etc (have to stop there), but the article says to go and use chemicals to do it, to name only 1 fault! How, in the spirit of all things, is this related to our craft?
Dave, after reading your posts and ariticles, I would buy a book on how make knives if it was written by you.
Read to many cliches to add another
All the best, Mike

Last edited:

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Too many adverts for my money. Not really any articles on the modern equipment and technology that can help you in a survival situation, after all that is part of the title ......"survival".

I suppose we can look forward to ANOTHER article from the outdoor show, and more fire by friction and more plant ID and more blah, blah, blah. The content has dropped IMO and its not even done on recycled paper!!

£29 quid saved!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE