Burglars and barbed wire, what's the law ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
It may have just been some scrot looking for a shortcut, I had a problem with a neighbours kid doing that a few years back, did the Fenna trick of piling loose scrap wood against the wall, he got the message.
Alternatively, perhaps that 45 deg security fencing they use at the top of chainlink fencing?

But if you already have the PIR, camera and lights, use them, and if the camera isn't obvious, make a fake one, they'll take one look and go somewhere else.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I find it utterly disparing that you are not allowed to protect your proprety... And you have to consider an intruders welfare above your-own in this country.

It almost seems 'sewn-up' for criminals in the UK. We have had half a dozen break-in's to the yard opposite us (20 yards from my home, and on my landlords property) in the past fortnight and the police have been once, with very little interest.

I would go with anti-vandal paint, carpet grippers, flood lights and an alsatian with an elastic band around the nether-regions myself (just kidding about the laccy band)

I guess the best thing to do would be to ask a mate to chuck your canoe in his garage for a few weeks.

Hope you have seen the last of him and it was just someone messing around.

Here's some legislation, if its any use (and its not good reading) http://www.protectingyourself.co.uk/using-barbed-wire-glass-intruder-prevention-methods.html

al.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a question about barbed wire. Apparently (from the posts and some of the links) barbed wire is only used for an entry deterrent there? It still isn't used for livestock containment then? I know it wasn't used for such when I was there but I've been surprised by so many other changes since I left that I wondered.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I have a question about barbed wire. Apparently (from the posts and some of the links) barbed wire is only used for an entry deterrent there? It still isn't used for livestock containment then? I know it wasn't used for such when I was there but I've been surprised by so many other changes since I left that I wondered.

Yes barbed wire is still regularly used for farm fences and at a relatively low height (waist high). Which proves that it is not illegal to use it. As I said before I think it is a question of reasonableness. You are allowed to protect your property in the UK, you are just not allowed to act disproportionately in doing so.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I was 16yrs of age, our company were working on a building site, I jumped off the scaffolding right onto a nail protruding from a plank, hospital job and tetanus. Imagine some idiot leaving nails sticking out of wood like that around the perimiter of yer home? :rolleyes:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes barbed wire is still regularly used for farm fences and at a relatively low height (waist high). Which proves that it is not illegal to use it. As I said before I think it is a question of reasonableness. You are allowed to protect your property in the UK, you are just not allowed to act disproportionately in doing so.

Agreed. Trespass (a school kid walking across the front lawn) doesn't warrant the same response as burglary (the burglar breaking down the front door with an axe)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've moved the boat over to my folks house for a couple of weeks tonight until I sort something out. I'm going to try and find some old scaffolding and make a heavier rack to store it on with better locking options.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Agreed. Trespass (a school kid walking across the front lawn) doesn't warrant the same response as burglary (the burglar breaking down the front door with an axe)

Yes and the other important thing to remember is that trespass is not necessarily a crime (although it may be in certain circumstances). Someone who injures themselves during the act of committing a crime does not have the automatic right to sue.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Hi Rich,

As you're getting into growing things, would a few cold frames along your wall be a possibility, creating a glass landing area for anyone coming into your garden that way?

I seem to recall suggesting this in the past, but I used a metal rack with two metal hoops which fitted nicely over my canoe when we lived in Pitsmoor, Sheffield. The hoops were very effective at locking the canoe in place because of the hull shape of a canoe you can't pull a canoe through the hoops.

I hope you get something sorted soon.

Al

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
the bear deterrent trick... tripwire, blank shotgun cartridge loaded into mechanism with firing pin on tripwire... discretely hidden but made so it will definitely go off as they start to come over.
and if they persist even after that then mod it to hold a live round :D

as illegal as it may be, a few shots fired and a "get orf my lawn!" is very effective and as long as you dont hit the guy they cant legally prove you did it.

we had a canoe nicked last winter to be used as a sledge... it was old and tatty but still...

...i wanted to use it as a sledge! :D

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Shewie,

I have had the same problem, drug addicts breaking in to my house due to the proximity of a canal path, easy in, easy escape.

I planted sea buckthorn along the base of my garden wall also blackthorn. Totally legal and about 50 times nastier than barb wire. Passed the idea on to a pal who had a break in every month, since the plants have grown his workplace has been an oasis of tranquility and full of wild birds. I have never had a yob try and climb my fence since. :) If a person lands in your garden and gets torn to bits by an ornimental bush it is just their hard luck and an accident. I planted the buckthorn on the commonland area in the public access area as well. So I have barb wire front and back.

The barbs are so nasty on sea buckthorn that i use welding gloves when harvisting the fruits.

Fight them with nature, its a bushcraft solution!

Sandsnakes

Last edited:

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Could you get in trouble for poor DIY? - say nailing the top board of the fence with nails way to long for their purpose, at an upward angle and every 3-4 inches. I wonder if "I'm sorry your Honour, i just suck at DIY", would be a reasonable defence?

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
33ufy2g.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE