Burglars and barbed wire, what's the law ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What's the current law regarding protecting your property with barbed wire ?

I've just caught someone trying to get over our back fence, presumably they've taken an interest in my canoe. Can I put barbed wire along the top of the fence to deter anyone else ?

A couple of buildings next to us have it all along the guttering so I'm thinking it's still legal ?

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
yea and connect it to the main grid 240v should see em off !! Just put up a little sign somewhere `warning` them of barbed wire so they can,t sue you when they hurt themselves in any future attempts !!!!!!!!!!!!!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If you put barbed wire in a place where it can cause harm(including the top of your own fence and anywhere on your property) you are liable for any injury caused,even if it is someone illegally entering your property.

The laws in this country are so screwed it is almost impossible to protect yourself.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
In an ideal world we could plant something nasty and spikey along that fence but as it happens it's the only place in the garden without any soil :(

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Get a cheapo electric fence set up for not much more than the cost of barbed wire. You can run them off a 9 or 12v battery and they are entirely safe but very discouraging.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
My Dad had the same problem a while back, So i got in touch with his local Community officer about putting Barbed or Razor wire up,

The Community Officer advised against it Stating that The Occupiers I.E My Dad had a "duty of care" Towards the Burglars even if we put the wire up and warning signs clearly stating the there was barbed/razor wire, They could still try and sue. It's ridiculous .

http://www.protectingyourself.co.uk/using-barbed-wire-glass-intruder-prevention-methods.html

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've heard stories about filthy burglars sueing home owners when they get during breaking in through windows and fences. Not 100% on how true that is but it wouldn't surprise me though.

Alot of people I know put the spikey wood strips used to keep carpet down along their walls 'to keep the cats off' , do as much research as possible though mate!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Was this in the day time? I'd think a 500W floodlight with a PIR motion detector would deal with most night time issues. You could easily wire a siren into the lamp terminals for added excitement. You can set the sensitivity so that they'll work even in light that you could easily see by. With a bit more effort you could throw a beam across the place where the scrotes gain access as well, and wire that in.

As others have said, things that might cause injury are frowned upon, although I personally think you should be able to shoot them and feed them to the dogs.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
build a pit fall trap ;)

5 foot hole with sharpened sticks covered in chilli sauce with a light stick and dirt lid! run this by the lcoal police though..of course.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Could you not "store" some barbed wire around you canoe? did you get a pic of them?

No pic mate, I was staking the broad beans when he tried scrambling over the fence about 10ft away from me.

My fence where the red line is ..
aerial.jpg

The rear of our property is up the left hand side of the old school next door ..
road.jpg

It looks like I'll be on burglar watch tonight, plenty of Red Bull and my .22

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Trailing Roses, Blackthorn cuttings, Hawthorn cuttings or other spikey flowers, flower boxes full of nettles - not burglar prevention - nature reserve!
Stack bean poles against the fence - split and jagged ends upward to minimise damp and dirt getting in the ends...
Store the makings of your greenhouse (sharp metal frames, glass sheets - oops broke a couple there... etc_ by the fence....

Last edited:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hello Shewie!
I would recommend a mains powered electric fence and 6mm rope with its associated screw in insulators. I don't think a cheapo one would act as much of a deterrent.
I can safely say that our electric fence keeps all animals on the side where thay are supposed to be 24 7! Also not something to touch either even if forgetful, If I do, the shock makes me involontarily shout it is that powerful!
farmcareuk.com is a good site to find what you will need! There is a mains energiser on special offer at the moment too.
I don't think barbed wire is illegal, just not suitable. unless you take time and put up post extensions to take two strands at 150mm spacings....Razor wire is, but is is so nasty to errect the manufacturers issue special gloves to those who need to handle it. This is probably not suitable in a residential area and may lead to neighbour complaints. Plus the fact that if you make your plot look like Fort Knox you may attract more than you want to keep away. I think 'subtle' ie, electric shock, is best! This system would also keep cats at bay.
Swyn.

PS. just seen John Fenna's.......Like this too! S

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
if they want to get in ya gerden unfortunatly they will so id bolt anything down worth nicking
a 12v fence isnt going to stop grown men unless they **** on it and that might sting!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE